What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Should I anodize the Rudder Pedals and Canopy Side Rails?

eh_v8_tor

Hi Folks,

My experience with anodization only involves admiring the colour of the pull tabs on cans of beer.

I would like to add a splash of colour to the canopy side rails, and the rudder pedals. I know that people have anodized these parts in the past. For those of you who have... how does it hold up to years of service?

Are you happy with the results, are there any pitfalls to avoid?

I figure if I don't like the look, I could just paint over it. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Steve W.
RV-7 tip up canopy.

Last edited:
The canopy rails are already anodized. It happens to be clear anodizing. If you want to do that over to add color, I think you have to have the existing layer stripped first. Ask at the anodizing shop.

The canopy rails are already anodized. It happens to be clear anodizing. If you want to do that over to add color, I think you have to have the existing layer stripped first. Ask at the anodizing shop.

Is that something new? Mine are not anodized, nor most that I have seen.

Anodized

I got my 3 canopy rails black anodized locally. Holding up so far, but I expect that at some point it will wear through - particularly the middle rear rail, since the canopy block is sliding on it.

I have several components anodized in my Rocket. Most have held up well over the past 17 years including the rudder pedals. The only ones that have not are the two front seat back rails. These have faded a lot. Given this I would not anodize components that will be exposed to sunlight or handled often.

I did my canopy rails black. Also did the T bar on the exterior center slide. Only one year of service but they still look good as new.

I anodized the brake pedal components before assembly just to liven things up again. I went with red but they came up sort of orange. Apparently it’s the copper in the 2024 that causes it. Just make sure you take this into account when selecting the color. Nothing wrong with orange brake pedals though.
Tom.
RV-7

Hard

I hard anodized black the side and center rails on my -8. They are now over 16 years old and have held up very well. There are a couple of minor scratches on the center rail but they were my doing and not from wear. I’ve also had no fading. I think the trick is to get a “hard” coating. The anodizing shop will understand.

To anodize or not

My side rails and rear slide guide have been blue anodized for 10 years still look good.

I just polished mine, both rails & rear slide, 15 years later still looks good on first plane.
Pedals on first plane painted, wore off in spots. Just left them aluminum on the follow up planes with good results.

Last edited:
Lots of options here, mine are clear anodized but I like the polished look. I don't think corrosion is an issue onithese parts (and relatively easy to replace if so) so it's more a cosmetic thing.

I hard anodized my pedals, but chose to not do anything fancy on the canopy deck. I'm glad I did it this way too, because I am a klutz, and have scratched up that canopy deck so many times throughout the build (even with protective tape on it) it's not even funny.That canopy deck probably gets more wear and tear during the build than any other part of the plane, so unless you're exceedingly careful, you risk ruining your nice pretty anodizing.

I recently inquired about having switch guards anodized(black) and was concerned about fading and looking brownish. In the process, I learned there are different materials used in the process. Some hold up well and other not so well. Find a good shop and ask lots of questions about the materials they use. Look for Mil-A-8625E II/2 or better.

Polished.
Spend some quality time at the buffer and you will be rewarded with a near chrome finish.
Finish up and maintain with some aluminum wheel polish from the auto section. Same for the center track.
You're not going to like black if you put your arm on it....

Attachments

• IMG_6986 (2).JPG
    IMG_6986 (2).JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Brake pedals (not "peddles" :)...see thread on spelling LOL!) anodized red, and 800 hours later, they still look great. I do have a pair of "flying shoes" that stay in the plane, though, to avoid tracking dirt and gravel and grease into the cockpit, so that probably helps.

Some hold up well and other not so well.

This definitely seems to be the case. Examples: Red fuel selector handle from Andair faded pretty significantly (replaced with a new one); red mixture knob on JD Air throttle quadrant faded a little, not yet re-anodized, while the blue one for prop is just fine; red little angle on the canopy rail for lifting the canopy has faded pretty badly, guess I'll have to paint it to match the red paint someday; red anodized pneumatic lift attach brackets haven't faded a bit.

So...seems pretty hit or miss.

Powder coat

I did both. Pedals are anodized red. Canopy weldments were ordered bare. After getting a good fit, everything was powdercoated.

Back