What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Custom Stick Grips

Zero4Zulu

Well Known Member
I had this idea to make my own stick grips. This is what I came up with. Wife says they look retro...
PTT in the back.

Last edited:
Huh?

A smoke switch that you have to hold down just doesn't make any sense to me. I'm open to other opinions but it had better be good. :D

A smoke switch that you have to hold down just doesn't make any sense to me. I'm open to other opinions but it had better be good. :D
You know, I cooked up a little switch control for just that kind of thing. A single tap toggles the output (smoke or whatever you please) on or off. Hold it down for more than half a second or so, and it will turn the output on until you release it, then turn it off. Seems like it would be be easy and intuitive to use. I personally don't have a use case for it right now, but I did breadboard the thing and it worked. Wouldn't take much to solder up a few prototypes.

Dale, I looked at that relay too. (Press on, press-off) but just decided to put a switch on the panel for the smoke to stay on, if desired. I don’t do aerobatics. I just wanted to be able to output a bit of smoke on occasion. Also I have a indicator light for smoke on.

You know, I cooked up a little switch control for just that kind of thing. A single tap toggles the output (smoke or whatever you please) on or off. Hold it down for more than half a second or so, and it will turn the output on until you release it, then turn it off. Seems like it would be be easy and intuitive to use. I personally don't have a use case for it right now, but I did breadboard the thing and it worked. Wouldn't take much to solder up a few prototypes.

I like that! You should also wire a "smoke on" light in parallel with the smoke pump to confirm that the smoke is on or off. Looking behind you is not an option in close formation.

Dale, I looked at that relay too. (Press on, press-off) but just decided to put a switch on the panel for the smoke to stay on, if desired. I don?t do aerobatics. I just wanted to be able to output a bit of smoke on occasion. Also I have a indicator light for smoke on.

I'm not talking about something that is currently available, it's something I have cooked up on my own. Not just push-on/push-off. A fully custom solution that gives you a single pushbutton switch that allows use either way without the need for anything else.

Agree: This switch should be a click on-click off with smoke-on light installed in parallel with the power lead and the light in your line of sight. It would be difficult to fly close formation attempting to hold the button down for a smoke on.

Back