What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerovonics AV-30

I just picked up the AV-20 (2 1/4" artificial horizon) as a back up for my Dynon EFIS. I'm still building the panel, so I don't have any flight experiences to share. However, I have powered the unit up and "flew" it around the shop. Everything responded as expected and I think it will make a very nice addition to my panel.

We just put two AV-30E's in a Glasair III. We removed the complete vacuum system and replaced the vacuum attitude indicator and directional gyro with two AV-30's. We installed the optional Davtron OAT probe and wired both of the AV-30 units RS232 input channels to a Garmin aera 660 GPS' output. I also installed and fly an AV-30 in an experimental Super Cub.

The AV-30's are a thing of beauty and aesthetically match legacy panels with their flush round display vs. other EFIS's surface mount square bezels. They look sleek and correct which sometimes can't be said about the bulky square cornered EFIS systems out there.

I am very impressed. Having installed and flown the AV-20 and now seeing the larger more featured AV-30 I really like the information and the stability of the internal adahrs system. It's dead nuts on and doesn't go wonky in IFR type standard rate turns like some of the other offerings. You see, most solid-state gyro sensors do very well at high rates of change like aerobatics because the forces involved are so dynamic and easy for the sensors to feel and software to process. However, small easy turns like IFR standard rate turns have been a real buggar for solid state systems and software to compute easily. Seems counter-intuitive but if a manufacturer can lick the nice easy turns the rest is easy.

I really dig the field overlays on the EFIS / AI unit and the display of the identifier of the GPS nav waypoint, TAS, density altitude etc... The HSI unit can display as a standard DG, traditional HSI and an EFIS arc nav view showing the route waypoints with distance zooming. It has a heading bug. The unit can be set up to show GPS Track or Heading. In Heading mode the pilot has to set the DG's heading to the ship's compass because there is not a remote magnetometer interface yet. They are working on one. So the AV-30 acts just like the instruments in a C172 like most of us learned to fly in. Set the barometer and then set the DG to the whisky compass. If you understand who the Aerovonics people are and their history of designing and delivering innovation in the EFIS industry for decades it makes sense that their product is polished and more refined than some of the other offerings. These same designers were more than likely involved in those older systems when working in the industry.

Aerovonics has also developed an autopilot interface unit.

So while the AV-30 doesn't have a slaved magnetometer option yet, it is a very nice unit with a beautiful display that just looks right in a legacy panel while providing rock solid attitude and navigation interface.

I hope this post doesn't come across as marketing hype. I don't work for Aerovonics. I am just an early adopter and enthusiast. We paid for the AV-30s in the Glasair. I also own and fly competitive small EFIS type units from Garmin (G5's), Sandia (Quattro SAI 340), Grand Rapids (Mini) and Aspen (1000 Pro).

Jim

Last edited:
Jim, thanks for the great review. Since posting this I have even more panel decisions to make and the AV30 is the most viable solution for me. I'm glad to hear the device lives up to the expectation.

Tim

I just installed a standalone unit. A little beautiful thing. I am still playing with settings. If toggled to DG it precesses for about 20 degrees every hour. A magnetometer would be a nice addition. AI is rock solid. Flight testing continues.

So Far So Good!

Just a quick Pirep: Ive only flown with the AV-30 for an hour, but am really impressed! The install was very easy. Configuration took 10minutes to tweak everything just right for my aircraft in level flight. Very easy menu.
The picture doesn?t do this AV-30 justice. This unit is pretty stunning. I think it?s the 3-D ?shading? that really makes this thing pop. It makes my TruTrak look washed out and dull in comparison.
This thing certainly handles aerobatics better than any AI I?ve flown before. For just 31/8? space, it really packs a lot of easily readable info. I very much like the distance to next GPS destination displayed. Always a pain looking over and trying to read my Garmin 300XL. Also, I had the unit on backup battery for 5 minutes on the ground; the backup battery status still showed 100%. Far from a 2-hr test, but not bad��
I?m now Vacuum free. It was nice to yank out all of the old vacuum hoses and hardware.
AF1QipMk4Sk5-j1t9vhFQVeWV2TB20eruO-1uM7ngatF

Last edited:
About 15 hours behind it now. I'm still impressed with the form factor. My favorite page setup has next GPS waypoint and distance on the screen. No more squinting at my monochromatic Garmin 300XL to find the info ;) Auto-dimming works well at night as well. So far, so good.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h3t6DJyvA64wMxvS9
qBX9WKcvUM9b7Gj6A

About 15 hours behind it now. I'm still impressed with the form factor. My favorite page setup has next GPS waypoint and distance on the screen. No more squinting at my monochromatic Garmin 300XL to find the info ;) Auto-dimming works well at night as well. So far, so good.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h3t6DJyvA64wMxvS9
qBX9WKcvUM9b7Gj6A

That is a great picture. It tells a good story.

It almost makes me think that our modern huge glass producers would have a market with a "retro mode".

Last edited:
That is a great picture. It tells a good story.

It almost makes me think that our modern huge glass producers would have a market with a "retro mode".

Yes. Who says a modern panel should be square cornered stuff trying to fit within the confines of a curved glareshield? Think about practically all GA aircraft in our size range. The panel footprints aren't straight lines with square corners. I spend an inordinate amount of time designing panels in CAD trying to fit big rectangles with pointy corners into curved panels yielding inefficient use of panel real estate. So yea Scott, retro mode. As in: it fits in a conventional round hole without causing undo modifications to the adjacent panel area. Technology is good. Keeping it in round holes looks great and is simply groovy. The Aerovonics guys are kind of breaking the square TV screen look paradigm while allowing existing panels the opportunity to have a nice mini EFIS without component footprint interference or a complete replacement makeover.

My RV-8 has Garmin G3X Touch which I really like and happily fly. However when I fly the AV-30 in the Cub it just looks and feels good. I know. That's an apples to oranges comparison as the AV-30 doesn't purport to compete with a full glass panel EFIS system. But in the meantime remeber both apples and oranges are round....

Jim

Last edited:
AV-30 HSI Mode

In reviewing the AV-30 installation manual, it appears a single RS-232 line runs between the AV-30 and a GPS navigator. Will a configuration like that provide left/right course guidance on the AV-30?

George

Yes. In either HSI mode or EFIS Arc mode. Mine is fed by a Garmin aera 660 GPS and it works great.

HDG info

Yes. In either HSI mode or EFIS Arc mode. Mine is fed by a Garmin aera 660 GPS and it works great.

Jim, do you know what is shown in the HSI mode if there is no connection to an external GPS?
Also, I'm wondering about the timing for when the AV-30 will get the option of a magnetometer, and possibly an internal GPS, per e.g. the Garmin G5. I think those would be useful additions for directional info.

One thing in my installation I am not sure of is the R 232 hook up from the GPS. Originally my aircraft had a handheld Garmin 195 mounted and the 232 line was routed to the fuel flow instrument which would display required fuel to the next waypoint. When I purchased the plane I removed this gps but used my 295 which used the exact same plug/wiring. I have added a Trutrak Gemini autopilot system which I connected to the 232 line running to the fuel flow instrument. Have flown many hours flawlessly with Trutrak following my gps routes etc. I just removed my vacuum system and installed 2 AV30?s which have also been connected to the same 232 signal line. Haven?t flown yet. That makes 4 instruments picking up the same 232 signal. Does anyone know if this is excessive or will work properly?

Back