What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTX 335 Special

Yes. Jump if you have the need and the money.

I have a GTX 345 in my RV-8. I like it but...

Knowing what I know now, if I had to do it all again, I would get the GTX 335 for the discount and with the money I saved I would buy the GDL 52 SiriusXM?/ADS-B Receiver.

AS (and probably others) have a special on the 335, looking for opinions if this is a deal to jump on or a yawn.

Basically, they are throwing in the harness ($100) and the encoder ($250).

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/garmin_gtx335-11-15034.php

Thx,

Tim

You forgot to mention the GA-35 WAAS GPS receiver as part of the package. :)

This lets you keep older, but completely functional non-WAAS GPS systems for VFR navigation.

Adding the harness is good, but the wiring is pretty trivial if it's a stand-alone system. This is the system I used last year to update my Tiger to ADSB out.

This made me think of something else.

Before I make a multi thousand dollar mistake:

Since I will eventually do some upgrades, do I want to operate a transponder via a glass panel or would I rather have a separate device with buttons and a display.

I'm generally glass panel friendly but I think I'd like to have buttons and a dedicated display. Especially for those times when you do a code change and ATC states they don't see it and you need to recycle/reset/etc..

This lets you keep older, but completely functional non-WAAS GPS systems for VFR navigation.

Adding the harness is good, but the wiring is pretty trivial if it's a stand-alone system. This is the system I used last year to update my Tiger to ADSB out.

I didn't realize that was normally a separate purchase.

This is sounding like a better deal than I had initially thought.

I didn't realize that was normally a separate purchase.

This is sounding like a better deal than I had initially thought.

The only catch was referenced in one of the Spruce comments....

We bought the unit with the Garmin Blind Encoder, but the manual doesnt even hint about how to configure it. After two days of research, we stumbled on the solution, which was to step through the altitude test points. Below 18,000ft, three test points are the default. After stepping through the three points, presto, the pressure altitude showed up on the display. Just rotten instructions. Its almost like Garmin was trying to prevent anyone other than an avionics shop to succeed. But thats just my opinion, and Im sticking to it.

It got me too for a while. :(

The encoder is neat and really miniaturized - not much bigger than a quarter and fits on the back of the tray. Definitely a good upgrade if you have an older encoder 'box' with parallel connections.

11-14162a.jpg

Last edited:
GTX 335

If you happen to have a Garmin G5 you don?t need an encoder, you can pull the altitude off the G5 with an RS232 output to the GTX 335 RS 232 input.

This made me think of something else.

Before I make a multi thousand dollar mistake:

Since I will eventually do some upgrades, do I want to operate a transponder via a glass panel or would I rather have a separate device with buttons and a display.

I'm generally glass panel friendly but I think I'd like to have buttons and a dedicated display. Especially for those times when you do a code change and ATC states they don't see it and you need to recycle/reset/etc..

I just made this switch at the first of the year. Having a remote transponder really wasn't a traumatic conversion. One tap on my screen and the transponder screen is visible. I then have several options on how I want to make changes, (i.e. knobs, buttons, virtual keyboard). I fly IFR all the time and having the transponder remote and depending on the EFIS user interface has not been any issue at all.

The GA35 antenna has always been included with both the 335/345.

Knowing what I know now, if I had to do it all again, I would get the GTX 335 for the discount and with the money I saved I would buy the GDL 52 SiriusXM?/ADS-B Receiver.

Oh good lord, really. Just drop the extra $1000 dollars and get the all in one solution - the GTX-345. I'd never spend the extra time and energy install the 52 for the $1000 dollar difference. Look at the wiring and mounting issues involved and I think you might rethink this recommendation.

The down side is an additional recieve antenna on the belly and if you don't have a G3X/Aera hooked to it then another GPS antenna for the GDL would also be req'd.

You have always been able to buy the 335/345 with or without the gps.

Yes but the "special" the OP listed has the internal GPS and in case it wasn't clear I was just saying that the GPS antenna (GA35) was included.

Yes but the "special" the OP listed has the internal GPS and in case it wasn't clear I was just saying that the GPS antenna (GA35) was included.

Though not applicable to all here, the Promo Special with the alt. encoder and GPS can be sold to owners of certified planes, instead of the usual Garmin policy of only selling to their certified installers.

Back