What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoothing edges of pre-punched skins

What tool do you use first to smooth out the bumps that are on all pre-punched skins?

• Vixen file

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Regular metal file

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Small Scotch-Brite wheel in die grinder

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 6-inch Scotch-Brite Wheel on bench grinder

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Scotch-Brite surface conditioning discs

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • V-blade deburring tool

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Hooked-blade deburring tool

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Sanding block

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

rv12iS-builder

Well Known Member
Friend
What tool do you use FIRST to smooth out the bumps that are on the edge of all pre-punched skins and many other parts?

1. Vixen file
2. Regular metal file
3. Small Scotch-Brite wheel in die grinder
4. 6-inch diameter Scotch-Brite Wheel
5. Scotch-Brite surface conditioning discs
6. V-blade deburring tool
7. Hooked blade debarring tool
8. Sanding block
9. Other

Last edited:
I usually use the vixen file, but have also learned to use a scotchbrite disc in the air grinder to quickly do the same job.

Chris

Regular metal file. Vixen would probably work too, but I'm a little skittish cause of how fast it can remove material if you aren't careful.

I like my edges to be very smooth. No visible machine marks and totally smooth to the touch. For small parts, I start with a Medium Scotchbrite wheel, followed by the Fine Scothbrite wheel (6" wheels mounted on a bench grinder).

For skins and other parts that are difficult to do on the grinders, I use Blue Roloc disks on a die grinder. For thicker material, I start with the Red Roloc disks then follow up with a Blue Roloc.

Yes, I may go though many Roloc's, but I think it is worth the time and cost.

After the first time I bent up a corner using my bench grinder/scotchbrite I figured I'd start using files.

Combination of Methods

I like a vixen file followed up with (depending on the size and ease of handling the skin) either a small scotch brite wheel in a die grinder, or a large scotch brite wheel on the bench grinder. Smooooooooth!

I think I've tried every tool listed in your poll, and this was what I liked the best.

I used a flat jeweler's file for the straight edges and a round or half round one in the corners. I could go through a rib or wing panel pretty quickly.

However, an old greybeard friend of mine said to just take the V scraper, give it two passes and call it done.

I use the vixen to get rid of the tiny bumps that are there.
Then I use a normal file to dull the sharp edge that the vixen leaves.
Last step is to finish off with 600 grit sandpaper.

Edges

Vixen followed by a couple passes with a maroon scotchbrite pad under a rubber sanding block. Smooth!

A short length of vixen file with a wood handle on the back -

Not my pic - I simply glued the wood handle on with RFV.

vixen%20file.jpg

Back