What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric aileron trim install...

comfortcat

Well Known Member
I'm installing electric aileron trim in my RV-9A and I wanted a little more professional look than safety wire. I purchased some clevis pins to attach the springs but found out that they are too long for the pilots side. Has anyone installed electric aileron trim without the bailing wire look?

CC

2v3pi83.jpg

You could cut some turns off the spring to shorten it, just make sure you cut equal turns off each spring so you don't have an imbalanced spring rate.

David,
Im installing the same thing. I didnt like the bailing wire either, but I haven't been able to come up with anything better. Keep me posted. Thanks

I used some small split rings on the servo arm. It is easy to make a small length of safety wire to connect the springs to the split rings. The split rings are easy to install on the arm, then install the safety wire segment.

IMG_2459-M.jpg

IMG_3919-M.jpg

IMG_1742-M.jpg

I found the small split rings at the local hardware store.

Last edited:
looks nice but I have to ask why not just manual. less weight and one less thing to fail.

I bought my plane and really wish I had manual trip rather than electric. Not only weight but one less thing that can go wrong or worry about.

Electric trim controller...

The Dynon Auto pilot control panel add-on can control both pitch and roll trim if the aircraft is so equipped. I'm adding that.

I believe weight is minimal, and the friction manual aileron trim looked like it would wear out soon and be sensitive to aircraft vibration.

looks nice but I have to ask why not just manual. less weight and one less thing to fail.

David, I am putting in the electric for my Garmin system too. I will use Bruce's method to connect. I still think the safety wire is "low tech" looking, but it appears to work well so might as well just do it!

The Dynon Auto pilot control panel add-on can control both pitch and roll trim if the aircraft is so equipped. I'm adding that.

I believe weight is minimal, and the friction manual aileron trim looked like it would wear out soon and be sensitive to aircraft vibration.

David, I am putting in the electric for my Garmin system too. I will use Bruce's method to connect. I still think the safety wire is "low tech" looking, but it appears to work well so might as well just do it!

Please follow up and let us know how the auto aileron trim works. Trimming with bias springs is not like the pitch trim system which has a direct connection to a trim tab.
My gut feeling is the AP will continuously hunt for perfect trim which it will never be able to achieve.

I'm having good luck with the manual aileron trim. I think the secret is to really cinch down the pinch bolt on the UHMW block before you install it...better too tight than too loose, so you don't have to disassemble the works to retighten it.

Do it neatly (like Bruce!) and the safety wire connection looks pretty good. I went that route as well. You only have to look at it once a year at annual! :)

I'm installing electric aileron trim in my RV-9A and I wanted a little more professional look than safety wire. I purchased some clevis pins to attach the springs but found out that they are too long for the pilots side. Has anyone installed electric aileron trim without the bailing wire look?

CC

2v3pi83.jpg

I'm installing my manual trim this weekend too and will be doing what Matt did in his build here http://www.rv7blog.com/2007/05/28/finished-aileron-trim/ Clean setup, adjustable and no hassle with safety wiring.

20070528_clevises.jpg

20070528_trim1.jpg

Last edited:
^Nice! Those Z-bend pliers come in handy outside the realm of rc airplanes. :) And those Sullivan clevises with the glorified E-clip are solid too.

Quick question.. Am I assuming(Oh I know I should know better) correctly that this system does not use an aileron trim tab, but instead just changes the aileron angle as you adjust it. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Quick question.. Am I assuming(Oh I know I should know better) correctly that this system does not use an aileron trim tab, but instead just changes the aileron angle as you adjust it. Is that correct?

The spring trim system basically just applies stick pressure through the controls so the human doesn't have to.

Aileron Trim Handle Won't Stay Where I Put It

I have an RV6A that I did not build myself. When I adjust my aileron trim (handle between seats, looks similar to BruceH's photo), I few minutes later the handle has gone back to where it was. Is there a friction or other type adjust I can make?

Yes, there is a bolt that you can tighten to squeeze the block that holds the manual aileron trim arm.

Can someone out there in RV world tell me how much tension should be on the springs at initial set-up? The RV14 builders have a dimension to set the spring to. If a dimension could be provided, that would be appreciated.
Blue Skies
Peter:confused:

Back