What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PP Alternator-to-Starter strap doesn’t fit

Loman

Well Known Member
I am fitting a Plane-Power AL E160/V to my 0-320 E2D. It already has a Sky-Tec 122-NL starter fitted. The strap that connects the main AN7-42A mounting bolt of the alternator with the body of the starter is 1/16” too long between hole centres. I believe the extra strength of this strap is critical in dealing with an engine kick-back, so I want to get it right. I can see only one way of mounting each of the accessories And the lug on the starter is part of its body casing. so I suspect I have a dud Plane Power part. Either the V-1002 strap or the V-1003 bracket is bad.

Has anyone else come across this problem and how was it resolved?

Put a 1/16" shim plate between the main alternator attach bracket and the engine block. That should move the alternator out at least 1/32" from the starter. You can also file a bit off the inside of a hole on the strap. All of the force is pushing the alternator into the starter, so no worry about slop on the outside portion of the hole.

Larry

Weld the hole shut and drill a new one?

I will try shimming the mount out a little. If that doesn’t do it I am thinking of welding the hole shut and grinding it flat then drilling a new one in the correct location.

Plane Power have replied to say the part is manufactured to Vans specifications (hence “V” model designation and part numbers). So I will put the issue to them also.

For the record - shimming was the solution.

For the sake of future searchers, I just want to record that a shim of 0.125” did the trick and brought the strap hole into perfect alignment with the starter lug.

I also had to put a washer between the alternator end of the strap and the mount bracket as there would otherwise have been interference between the two at the strap joggle. This did not seem to lead to planar misalignment.

There had been a suggestion (not on VAF) to loosen both alternator and starter mounting bolts, attach the strap and then tighten up all the bolts. This would have been a bad idea for my case as overcoming a 1/16” misalignment would have put a lot of stress into the assembly. Because the accessories are mounted on opposite case halves, this stress would tend to separate the halves, especially in a kickback scenario. It would also be difficult to access the alternator mount bolts and especially to safety wire them or set the anti-rotation tabs.

Where are my manners

I should add my thanks to those who replied; Ralph and especially Larry for the shim idea.

Back