What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAB Carb Heat Door

Snoho3

Well Known Member
Hi - assembling the FAB carb heat door and have a simple question. (O-320, vertical induction.) Is there a 'stop' for the door when carb heat is applied? The way the plans show the build up, the door can swing through 90 degrees, past the full closed position, which would leave the ram air scoop still partially open.

In flight I wouldn't have a way to gauge the full closed position of the door when I applied carb heat.

Related question - how important is it to achieve 100% closure of the ram air scoop? I currently have slight (1/16"?) gaps on the sides of the door. I'm guessing this would not be an issue.

TIA,

Lars

The flap should be big enough to stop itself short of the 90° position. There's your stop. I've seen some FABs where folks haven't been entirely happy with the resulting seating surface so they've gone ahead and riveted baffling seal on the front face of the flap and trimmed to slightly larger than the perimeter. Probably helps to prevent the flap cutting into the glass as well.

Back