What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Longeron fit to fueslage

motodave

Well Known Member
First off I think I'm stressing over this too much and likely build on but here's the question I've posed to Van's and to you.

I recently joined the completed tail cone to the "mid-fuselage". First step is notch the longerons (using the tail deck as a guide) then insert into tail cone and attach the mid section. Done and fine, then attach 770 side skins etc.. I "built" the longerons to spec but noticing a small miss match to the 770 skin.

With everything installed (clecoed) the front edge of the canopy deck (L&R) is 1/8" forward of the downward slope line of 770 side skin BUT right at the 28.25" mark from front edge of longeron per plans (this is the point where the the downward bend/twist begins). The aft end of longerons are short of the 712 tab ends but measure perfectly per plans from aft deck rivet holes. If I proceed to drill the first aftmost hole in the longeron I will still have a edge distance for rivets. Also in current position I will need to trim forward ends of longerons by ~1/4" each (7/32 on L and 6/32 on R) to achieve required 3/4" firewall set back (I think it is normal to trim a small amount).

So the question is 1.) do I disassemble the whole thing, pull the longerons and widen the notches (for the HS attach bars) so they slide in further OR 2.) build on as the 1/8" won't make a difference and BTW the longeron match up really nice with the skin now with minimal fussing.

THANKS in advance!

BTW, heck of time trying to post pictures from Flickr but my album link is below.

Last edited:
So after posting I figured with out pictures it was tough to follow my issue. Here goes:

With everything installed (clecoed) the front edge of the canopy deck (L&R) is 1/8" forward of the downward slope line of 770 side skin:
49082504876_152c3c958b_z.jpg
[/url]Untitled by Dave Hock, on Flickr[/IMG]

BUT right at the 28.25" mark from front edge of longeron per plans (this is the point where the the downward bend/twist begins).
49091262557_1d81fe9609_z.jpg
[/url]Right side downward bend of longeron, aligns to canopy deck by Dave Hock, on Flickr[/IMG]

The aft end of longerons are short of the 712 tab ends but measure perfectly per plans from aft deck rivet holes. If I proceed to drill the first aftmost hole in the longeron I will still have a edge distance for rivets.
49079406978_696e18d145_z.jpg
[/url]Perfect per plans but needs to come back another 1/8" for Canopy Deck fit by Dave Hock, on Flickr[/IMG]
49079141133_3bc72fc66c_z.jpg
[/url]Fits perfect and matches plans BUT, I need to widen by Dave Hock, on Flickr[/IMG]

Also in current position I will need to trim forward ends of longerons by ~1/4" each (7/32 on L and 6/32 on R) to achieve required 3/4" firewall set back (I think it is normal to trim a small amount).

Anybody else have/has had similar situation? Thanks.

Longeron issues

Mine is all covered in paper so I can't look.
If everything clekos together, the only issue that seems a concern is the longeron falling short at the end and only then if it causes an edge distance issue.
I had to trim the forward end too. I intentionally left the aft end long to trim later. As far as the Canopy Deck, mine is all wrapped uo working on a fiberglass canopy skirt. Sorry. I can't imagine it would be a problem though. Might consider a call to Vans before they close up today.

Thanks Larry, I have a call into Van's. Their initial response is it should be "ok" but want to be sure as you well know once they are drilled they are done. I think I'll be fine and likely moving ahead this weekend drilling them.

Back