What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick grip wire routing

Dorfie

Well Known Member
I am keen to see how you routed the wires at the stick bottom. More precisely, did you use a connector for future stick removal? What type of connector? Is connector inside foot-well or behind the cover? Did you cut a hole in the F-1043D cover panel (foot-well to space behind foot-well)? If so, where in that panel?
Thank you.
Johan

Just wired mine up and used a db-9 connector for both to keep things simple. I know I can't remove the pilot but I figure that's easier than soldering it in. I ran them down the center "tunnel" area from the gad27 in the panel.

Connectors are just below the seat pans, zip-tied to a stickie on the seat rib. I guess I haven't put the cover back on to see if it fits yet, I should do that :)

So mine are wired with the wire routed through the straight portion of the stick and taped along the outside of the curved portion of the stick. One of days I'll cover the curved part of the stick with a "boot" to pretty it up. I used a CPC round connector to terminate each stick for easy removal. The CPCs are anchored to the gear weldments directly under the seat pans.

Same for me

So mine are wired with the wire routed through the straight portion of the stick and taped along the outside of the curved portion of the stick. One of days I'll cover the curved part of the stick with a "boot" to pretty it up. I used a CPC round connector to terminate each stick for easy removal. The CPCs are anchored to the gear weldments directly under the seat pans.
I have the same set up and they same intentions for a "boot".
I did use ring terminal connections under the seat rather than a plug.
Running wiring across to the passenger side seemed to keep the number of connections lower than using plugs.
I have never needed to remove the stick in 400 plus hours.
https://goo.gl/photos/fWw5QUKcApjfRvtg7
For the Tosten grip you have to remove all of the vertical portion of the stick to
make sure the top of the grip does not interfere with the bottom of panel.

ran wiring inside of stick

my tosten grips had the wires coming out the bottom so I ran the wires inside the stick. No wrapping or need to conceal the the wiring.

The wires were long enough to extend all the way to the end. they are connected under the seat plarform.

ran wiring inside of stick

my tosten grips had the wires coming out the bottom so I ran the wires inside the stick. No wrapping or need to conceal the the wiring.

The wires were long enough to extend all the way to the end. they are connected under the seat plarform.

Thanks Joe Wilber

It's been a couple of years since your post, but proof that VAF is invaluable. Just ordered these connectors from Digikey, as I need to add a connector to the pilot's stick so that I can replace the grip whenever it gets torn (foam), as it is now.

Appreciate it,

Merrill

Did you drill into the forward side of the stick to provide a hole to run the wires through? Do you have any pictures of what you did?

I also have a Tosten grip. I ran the wires through the top vertical tube and taped them down the rear of the curved tube. I purchased a nice grey leather steering wheel wrap and sewed a zipper on it to make a nice cover.

I used the mini-Molex connectors from Digikey mentioned earlier in the thread so I could pull the Tosten grip through the tube without needing to disconnect any wires.

And the cover pic

I ran my wires completely inside the tube. Put D sub pins on the wires, routed through the tube and then inserted into the DB-15 afterwards. No need for a stick cover.

I ran my wires through stick and used ring terminals

Attachments

• 80E12172-F1F9-4533-96C2-F16B716CF9CB.jpg
    80E12172-F1F9-4533-96C2-F16B716CF9CB.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 245
DB9 not optimal

I ran the wires out the bottom and taped to the stick similar to several posts here. I used a DB9 connector under the seat fastened to the gear leg brace. However, I would not use a DB9 again because I've had to remove the stick grip once and it doesn't feed through the tubing without removing the DB9 pins from the connector.

Back