What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Six inch wheels upgrade?

charosenz

Well Known Member
I am interested to hear from anyone who has switch to the 6 inch wheels for the mains from the 5 inch wheels. (-6, -7, -9, etc).

Which make/model? What size tires? Would you do it over again?

On a side note, just to clarify, I am not looking so much to get in to the "why" aspect of the topic but rather to hear from experienced folks who made the switch.

Thank you.

Sky Designs

Ken Krueger at Sky Designs Engineering has a conversion kit especially for RV's for 6:00 X 6 Matco wheels and brakes including wheel fairings. Ken was Van's chief engineer for many years before he went out on his own. Google his website if you wish more info.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD flying 15 yrs
RV8 Sold

I went to longer (custom) axles from Langair about 9 years ago. I use 400-6 wheels/tires under the fairings (they fit the same as the 500-5s) and use 800-6 wheels/tires for landing at rougher fields. The 400-6 option would not require the longer axles but the 800-6 option uses the same rims with a 1" spacer between them, so needs longer axles. You might be able to run 600-6 wheels/tires with the standard length axles, I don't know. All my setup is from Matco. I did have to modify the brake location and the wheel pants.

Greg

It fits...

You might be able to run 600-6 wheels/tires with the standard length axles, I don't know.

Matco's 6 inch wheels will fit the standard length 1.25 inch diameter axles. The photo shows the Matco 6 inch wheel/brake with a 6.00-6 tire and the Sky Designs wheel fairing bracket installed on an RV-6/7 gear leg/axle.

Attachments

• RV-7 wheel & brake install.jpg
    RV-7 wheel & brake install.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 327
Any idea on the weight difference between the stock RV6 wheel/ pants 5” set-up and the sky design?
Thanks looks good

Back