What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat Belt Harness Hole 5/16" pilot hole 5/8" width Countersink Bits

TryChick

So,
Getting ready to countersink the holes for the front seat shoulder harness screws. Took me forever to find a suitable bit. Got excited, then discovered you have to have a $45 minimum order. Another site sells it for $76. Anyone have a bit they can loan my husband and I? Another option is to see if 5 or more folks want to get together to do a bulk order and then just mail the bits to those who want in. The bits would cost each of us $9.58 including the company shipping cost. I don't even care how much it would cost to send out those 4 other bits...

Attachments

• IMG_0251.jpg
    IMG_0251.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 249
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 12.43.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 12.43.19 PM.png
    136.2 KB · Views: 201
That bit is one of those one use tools that come with airplane projects.

If you want, I'll ship you mine. Your responsibility is to use it, then periodically post its availability and pass it along to the "next" guy/gal, with the same stipulations for them.

I decided these hard points needed some beefing up - beyond what was called for in the plans.

What I recommend:
- Build up the inside of the cabin top with a few bids of glass in the area of the hard mounts. This provides more material for the hard point.
- Countersink the hole, but a standard wood working countersink is just fine for this application as you will be adding Flox.
- Square off the round anchor screw head. The objective is to prevent it from spinning and screwing up your final paint job.
- Put some flox in the countersunk hole, then put the now squared off anchor screw in the hole. You want the top of the anchor just below the surface of the cabin top.
- After it all sets up, go back and add some micro to sand flush. Add a bid of glass on top of that. Final step is a skim coat of micro over the glass to feather it all in. You might do this last step as part of your overall cabin top body work to prep for paint.

Carl

Why not spot drill it initially to an AN3 screw size, countersink it to the AN5 head size, and then drill it out to 5/16".

There is no hole pre-drilled in the cabin cover.

Dave,
Thanks for the link. We've purchased from Cleveland Tools before but didn't check out their items.

Purchased today.

Kyle,
Thanks for the offer of a loan.

Carl,
We are past that point as the interior is already painted but sounds like good advice to future builders.

Back