What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skytec solenoid - how does it come apart?

MrNomad

Well Known Member
Does anyone know how to disassemble the solenoid on a SKYTEC lightweight starter? Yes, I have the clicking problem. If the internals are like the many chevy starters I have fixed, the contacts are burned & if I resurface them, it will keep me flying until a replacement arrives. There appears to be two detents on the sides of the solenoid. If they are ground out, will the solenoid come apart? Photos welcome.

Does anyone know how to disassemble the solenoid on a SKYTEC lightweight starter? Yes, I have the clicking problem. If the internals are like the many chevy starters I have fixed, the contacts are burned & if I resurface them, it will keep me flying until a replacement arrives. There appears to be two detents on the sides of the solenoid. If they are ground out, will the solenoid come apart? Photos welcome.

There is discussion on this sight regarding the replacement part #.

The part is available at the local auto parts store. see this from a previous post

I was having the same contactor click/no start and it was getting worse. Sometimes it would take 20 or 30 tries. I pulled the solenoid off the starter and it had a catch in it. It had to line up just right or I couldn't depress the plunger. Replaced it with a BWD #S5613 solenoid off the shelf at O'Reillys auto parts for $25. Now it works.

Larry

OReilly's Aviation department to the rescue

Following the sage advice offered by this forum, I purchased a replacement solenoid for my Skytec starter from OReilly's and so far, that fixed it.

The part number: BWD S5613 stands for Borg Warner, part number S5613. $25 and u r done. In the next few days, I will chop open the old solenoid and post photos of the internals.

Big Thank You to all on this forum. This is truly a special community.

Skytec Solenoid disassembled

Using surgical precision (sic) and operating room cleanliness :eek: I chopped opened my old Skytec Solenoid with an angle grinder to discover its mysteries. I found what I expected. Just like the many Chevy starter solenoids I have opened since Pterodactyls roamed the earth, the surfaces were pitted making positive contact hit and miss. Ergo, the infamous click, click, click when u r 500 miles from home. Unfortunately, unlike my old Chevys, this unit is not repairable!

28qvhc1.jpg

iznhc8.jpg

2450jsy.jpg

1zxtyti.jpg

Can't get the solenoid off...

We are trying to take the solenoid off a skytec starter. We got the 2 bolts on the front off, and it moves back about 1/2", then stops. Seems like it is catching on the starter gear.

Any suggestions??

The little white button shape on the end fits in a slot on the engaging lever. Pull the solenoid back as far as possible, move the button away from the motor and it will slip right out of the slot. Simple once you've done it.

Thanks

Sweet! Will let you know how it works.

Just as Dave said above. Here is a pic that may help the next guy.

Last edited:
I started to get the click, click, click, . . . . . a couple weeks ago.
New starter, skytec PMA FW solenoid and PC680 battery back in March of this year.
I replaced the starter mounted solenoid with a BWD S5613, Problem solved.

Three years ago I had just replaced the solenoid on a 2 or 3 year old Skytec so I knew how it was done. Two years later, the NAPA replacement was sticking again. Or maybe it was just plain old dead. Quickly went in the trash.

Seems like maybe carrying around the inexpensive replacement Skytec starter solenoid could be a smart move. (and the tools to do it)
Beats AOG at a far flung locale.

Seems like maybe carrying around the inexpensive replacement Skytec starter solenoid could be a smart move. (and the tools to do it)
Beats AOG at a far flung locale.

Nah. Why carry around all that weight? All you need to find is an auto parts store and ask for a 2000 Crown Vic starter solenoid.

Sweet! Will let you know how it works.

Just as Dave said above. Here is a pic that may help the next guy.

I am having trouble reinstalling a new BWD S5613 solenoid back into the SkyTec 149LS starter. I was able to remove the old one as described by someone by angling the white plunger solenoid away from the starter housing and pulling with a good tug. From the photo above in this thread #9, the fork gap in his housing is much larger and further away from the side of the case than in my SkyTec starter and cannot get the white button plunger to slide in behind the fork.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks!

Pull the pinion gear forward into the ring gear which causes the fork to move aft which will give you more clearance for assembly.

You're welcome!

Also, I'll put this out there for general knowledge: if you ever get a sticky solenoid away from home base, use a screwdriver or whatever to manually pull/pry the pinion gear into the ring gear and then try to start the engine. I had to do this in Furnace Creek, Death Valley. Would have been a major PITA if I hadn't remembered that old hot rod trick.

Back