What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WingX Pro with Echo/SkyFx-EXT

Boyd Birchler

Well Known Member
I have an Echo with a SkyFX-Ext in my Rv7. I use WingX Pro as my flight app.
Problem is; any of our 4 devices tried, registers a ground speed usually in the 65 to 85 knot range (while actual GS is 165 KTS), but on rare occasions it will read the same GS as my 430 WAAS.

I've talked with Uavionx they said to turn off position services in the device being used(I assume this disables the Ipads internal GPS),I did that and it did not make any difference.

Called Wing X/Hilton software and left a message. Then Emailed and got a response "We have not tested program compatibility with the Echo... check this link for compatible hardware.

I have compared my GS indication on my Ipad with that of my Iphone and my wife's Android, since all have the WingX app installed and the Echo can support multiple devices at one time. All agreed on GS.

My next step is to find a friend with ForeFlight and see if it is a matter of the flight app or the hardware.

My question is has anyone had this problem and found a solution?

Last edited:
I have WingX with echo

I actually have WingX, FlyQ, and iFly on my iPad --- regularly switch between them -- I like the traffic presentation better on WingX --- anyway, not had a problem as long as I remember to have the iPad on the Echo WiFi source (Ping).

Ron

I actually have WingX, FlyQ, and iFly on my iPad --- regularly switch between them -- I like the traffic presentation better on WingX --- anyway, not had a problem as long as I remember to have the iPad on the Echo WiFi source (Ping).

Ron

When you have WingX connected to the Echo wifi, does it still use data from the cell service for the other WingX (or other apps) things like current gas prices or weather app info, or does it say that data is not available or simply not give you the current info?

Weather and traffic through ADS-B

Weather and traffic is supplied to the Echo through the ADS-B system and makes it to your iPad from the Echo WiFi --- I have never tried to check fuel prices in the air, so no help there.

Ron

Mine has fuel prices that are saved from the last time it was connected to the internet.

My Ipad has an internal GPS but I do not have cellular service (although it is capable if I would care to pay for it). I did turn off the internal GPS to see if it was interfering with the SkyFx GPS; but it made no difference.

Ron
I doubt from what you are saying the problem lays with the Echo it's self but with the SkyFx-Ext WAAS GPS source.

Well I believe I found the problem then did a PAPRA test and found out ADSb was disabled by my corrections. Called Uavionix and reset to suggested values. Did another PAPRA test with no fails; so a perfect test: but once again the GS on the IPAD is 35 to 85 knots or a quarter to about half actual....

Thought about this over night and called Uavionx and asked if anything would be harmed if I disconnected the final wire to the Garmin 327 since we are getting our information by sniffing the TPX output, they said go ahead,I did but no joy.

I'll think about this some more and call the Uavionx Echo man in Colorado Springs and see if he has any extra ideas.

Last edited:
Back