What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Sport EX headset noise

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm getting a small amount of noise in my headset from my GRT Sport EX. I expect it's related to the audio warnings, which I have set pretty loud. Has anyone else seen this, and found a solution? The noise is not that loud, but quite noticeable when it starts during at a certain point in the boot sequence of the EFIS, and, well, I don't want it if I can get rid of it. It's wired directly into my Trig radio audio input port - no intercom. Thanks!

Dimming GRT EFIS causes radio noise

For the first time recently I flew when it was getting dark, so I dimmed the GRT Sport EX EFIS.

When I dim the screen from full 10 to anything less there is headset noise that is very noticeable, and gets louder the more I dim.

I took care to ensure that my headset wiring follows Bob Nuckolls recommendations, radio and EFIS share a ground point, shield grounded at radio end only and jacks fully isolated from the airframe. I'm going to re-check wiring but thought I'd check with any of you electronics wizards to see if there is anything obvious that jumps out at you.

It sounds like a voltage regulator noise coming from the GRT via power line.
Try this, connect to GRT power in power/ GND.

https://se.farnell.com/vishay/mal210158103e3/cap-10000-f-63v-alu-elec-screw/dp/2724548

Good luck

Thanks - I just watched a video of the flight from my gopro which records sound from the rear seat headset jacks, and there is no noise. This tells me I most likely have a cabling problem to my forward headset jack. Will need to check this next time I'm in the hangar. Thanks again!

Finally got to the hangar, and I do have the same noise in both headsets. No idea why it didn't get picked up by my gopro camera - perhaps the special cable has a filter in it.

I'll drop a mail to GRT to see if they have an idea what might be causing this.

GRT Sport EX EFIS

I too have an annoying hum/tone through my intercom from my GRT Sport EX EFIS. GRTs only suggestion was to make sure the EFIS was grounded properly, I checked and it is. Mine is overpowered by engine noise when I start so I have not been highly motivated to correct it. I am not able to follow the link you posted in messages above, I get an access denied message.

Please do post what your resolution is, I did correct a noise issue from my turn & bank coordinator with headset isolation washers so I suspect I have some ground loop issue but I am not electronically proficient to find it.

Bruce Butts

For the first time recently I flew when it was getting dark, so I dimmed the GRT Sport EX EFIS.

When I dim the screen from full 10 to anything less there is headset noise that is very noticeable, and gets louder the more I dim.

I took care to ensure that my headset wiring follows Bob Nuckolls recommendations, radio and EFIS share a ground point, shield grounded at radio end only and jacks fully isolated from the airframe. I'm going to re-check wiring but thought I'd check with any of you electronics wizards to see if there is anything obvious that jumps out at you.

By my thinking a problem like that has to be coming from withing the GRT unit itself and leaking the noise onto the ground bus. Have no suggestions on how to suppress it, though wonder if a ferrite choke may help. May require a repair at GRT.

Back