What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview dimmer

SkyView synchronizes dimming over the network. No need to hook up any extra wires.

If you want to use an external dimmer, SkyView has an analog voltage input for external dimming, which you can adjust the dimming curve in software. If you have two displays, just hook the same voltage to the same wire on both.

So… Pin 25 on both D 37's should be wired in parallel?

From page 4-23 in rev 13 of the installation manual.

quote:

External Dim Control Connections
DIM INPUT (Pin 25) The backlight level on a SkyView display can be increased or decreased using a control signal of 0 to 36 volts DC. See External Brightness Management to configure brightness levels for specific voltages.

end quote

So you would use one dimmer control to send the same voltage to each screen.

Last edited:
Ray,
Yes...I read that. However there are other areas of ambiguity in the manual, so I was asking for a direct answer. i.e. it doesn?t say they should be in series or parallel. The same section notes pins 26 should not be wired in parallel. So should pins 26 be wired in series?

Something with the Contact Inputs on page 4-25. Parallel, series, stand alone?

Also?

Page 4-24 ? Audio Output, states:
?If there is more than one display on a SkyView network, you MUST connect all displays? audio outputs to the same audio panel input to ensure that audio is always heard. Electrically short the respective left and right outputs together for stereo mode (i.e., left-to-left and right-to-right) or connect all audio outputs together for mono mode. The same rule applies for audio grounds.?

But then 2 paragraphs later it says:

?SkyView systems with more than one display normally only output audio alerts from one display to minimize audio distortion. In a SkyView system that has more than one display and dual SV-EMS-220s/221s to monitor dual engines, EMS audio alerts are enabled from two displays. At moments when two displays are outputting EMS audio alerts, there may be minor ?doubling? of audio alerts heard in the audio system.?

So which is it? If only one display is outputting alerts, why should all screens be wired in parallel? Wont the create ?doubling??

I don?t mean to rant, but just quoting the manual doesn?t cut it sometimes.

Jeff,
I see that we don't explicitly say that with multiple screens all the pin 25's should be hooked together. They should. We'll try and improve that in the manual.

Where we do explicitly say don't connect them, such as with pin 26, we mean that. The difference is that pin 25 is an input, and generally you can use a single output to drive multiple inputs. Pin 26 is an output, and multiple outputs on the same wire generally causes issues.

I should ask what you are using to dim SkyView externally. SkyView does have integrated light sensors and does a great job at dimming automatically, so external dimming is rarely used. If you are using it, you do need to make sure your dimming wire is outputting a voltage, not a resistance or a PWM, which is what many dimmers output.

As for your other comment:
In a SkyView system that has more than one display and dual SV-EMS-220s/221s to monitor dual engines

The above says in a SkyView system that has more than one display AND dual EMS-200s/221s. So unless you have two EMS units, you follow the first instruction. In standard two screen systems, audio only comes out of one screen at a time. The trick is you don't know which one, so you need to join the connections.

As a semantics note, you can't wire two or three wires in series. To wire a device in series with another device requires an IN and an OUT for the two devices. You need four wires for two devices. Along that line, we'd probably not call hooking 3 wires together "in parallel" either. It's just joining them.

--Ian @ Dynon

Ian,
Thanks for the response. I?m currently in the planning stage and am trying to understand the ins and outs of the system wiring, and what is synchronized between the displays over the network and Ethernet cables, and what needs to be hardwired.

Jeff,
I see that we don't explicitly say that with multiple screens all the pin 25's should be hooked together. They should. We'll try and improve that in the manual.

Where we do explicitly say don't connect them, such as with pin 26, we mean that. The difference is that pin 25 is an input, and generally you can use a single output to drive multiple inputs. Pin 26 is an output, and multiple outputs on the same wire generally causes issues.

I should ask what you are using to dim SkyView externally. SkyView does have integrated light sensors and does a great job at dimming automatically, so external dimming is rarely used. If you are using it, you do need to make sure your dimming wire is outputting a voltage, not a resistance or a PWM, which is what many dimmers output.

As for your other comment:

The above says in a SkyView system that has more than one display AND dual EMS-200s/221s. So unless you have two EMS units, you follow the first instruction. In standard two screen systems, audio only comes out of one screen at a time. The trick is you don't know which one, so you need to join the connections.

As a semantics note, you can't wire two or three wires in series. To wire a device in series with another device requires an IN and an OUT for the two devices. You need four wires for two devices. Along that line, we'd probably not call hooking 3 wires together "in parallel" either. It's just joining them.

--Ian @ Dynon

I'm resurecting and older thread on the Skyview external dimmer. I'm currently flying behind a single 10in Skyview and making some pannel changes. Addint a 7in screen and IFD 440. I'm just finalizing the layout with Bill from UpNorth.

For those who have Dynon Skyview screens and fly at night, how is the auto dimming function? Does it work okay, or is better to install a manual dimming control?

My experience after flying 10+ hours at night behind my dual Skyview HDX setup...

The auto brightness function works great right up until sunset. Then the screen doesn't dim fast enough to keep up with the fading light. Ends up being way too bright in the cockpit so you have to manually dim the displays. Then, once it's getting good and dark outside the displays seem to catch up and overshoot the dimming so you then need to manually brighten the displays, and then you can go back to auto and it seems to work fine after that.

-Rick

My experience after flying 10+ hours at night behind my dual Skyview HDX setup...

The auto brightness function works great right up until sunset. Then the screen doesn't dim fast enough to keep up with the fading light. Ends up being way too bright in the cockpit so you have to manually dim the displays. Then, once it's getting good and dark outside the displays seem to catch up and overshoot the dimming so you then need to manually brighten the displays, and then you can go back to auto and it seems to work fine after that.

-Rick

Thanks for the input Rick. Sure sounds like a dimming knob may be warranted.

Brian

Back