What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Morning Sickness

AN23

Well Known Member
Our IO-360 angle valve is giving indications of a sticking valve. Plugs, mags, etc. have been checked. Checked compressions when cold and all seems ok but we've grounded it pending a further investigation. Everything I read and see gives great instruction on cleaning the stem and guide on parallel valve engines but I don't see anything on angle valve engines. Probably because angle valves are less prone to sticking. I'd just like to know if there are any different techniques, tricks, etc. in case we do indeed have a sticking valve. Years ago, I had one stick in a Cessna 172 and just made it to an airport. Don't intend to repeat that experience again. Also, I plan to use the nominal ream size (.4995).

Last edited:
Getting ready to get started. Still debating using air versus rope. Think I'll try air first and see how it goes. I do have a question about using the spring compressor. I have a brand new ATS compressor and, from what I can see, it appears you use the rocker shaft as one leverage point. I'm concerned about possible scratching of the shaft? I saw where someone else used a 3/8 extension but I'd be concerned about scratching or otherwise damaging the bushing. Am I overthinking this?

IO-360 angle valve

Attachments

• 4B62AE49-0D05-42DE-82F3-7F60A2D3A031.jpeg
    4B62AE49-0D05-42DE-82F3-7F60A2D3A031.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Valves

I’ve never heard anything about angle valves being less prone to sticking than parallel valves. I’ve done this many times. I would use the rocker shaft with the valve spring compressor tool. It’s very hard and I doubt you could scratch or hurt it with another smooth steel part. Using a smaller dia shaft with the tool will load the rocker boss bushings in one spot. They are not that hard by comparison and could possibly get flattened or dented. The nice fit of the rocker shaft will spread the load over a wider area more similar to normal operation. Rope trick has always worked well for me.

Don Broussard A&P-IA
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

A thin piece of tape, like electrical tape, or small piece of zip-loc bag on the tool helps avoid the scratch potential

George

Back