Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-31-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRv View Post
I can bundle my GTN650 and G3X data together with full IFR for about $70/month if I want the full monty. Sure, that's more than "free"....but the free isn't certified and IFR capable either.
You're right, there is a lot of confusion. The Dynon 'free' is only the aviation/nav and obstacle data. No charts - approach or safetaxi - on the Dynon. So yes, not really an apples to apples comparing the free Dynon to the 'high cost' Garmin.

However, there is nothing certified about the G3X charts or no. This topic continually seems to get kicked around - pitot/static/transponder IFR cert vs. required nav equipment to complete IFR flight. The only certified equipment comes from the 650/430 and a few others allowing /G filing (waas offering some flexibility in filing - alternates, etc).

I've mentioned in a previous thread that Dynon talks about offering charts/plates (maybe just plates...?). Honestly, my only beef with my Dynon setup (bought plane flying) is that the Dynon map cannot overlay data from the 430. Other than that, I pay to update the 430 (I believe $325/yr) and the iFly ($100/yr) - and couldn't be much happier with the SA offered by this setup. Excuse the crappy pic, but you can see below:

I'm approaching the LOM on a practice ILS approach - plate on the iFly on the left, Dynon map middle (can't make out plane icon approaching LOM, but can see the airport), and 430 right lower showing hold in lieu of proc turn. 430 and iFly look different because 430 is track up, iFly north up.

As I said the only thing I really would like is for the 430 course data to be able to be displayed on the Dynon map. Now, if I had my ultimate wish?? Give me an iPad mini that is sunlight readable to replace the iFly. Pop it out of the panel to do planning with Wing X, pop it back in and let the 430 and Dynon map read the route.... oh man, that would be too nice.

In the end the SA offered by all this equipment is amazing to me every time I fly. Not to start a battle, but it also makes me glad I learned on steam gauges with VORs, RMIs, ADFs, OBSs, HSIs.

Build: http://hhav8or.blogspot.com/
Old 03-31-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalinHdz View Post
Recovering from an unusual attitude is very different from acrobatic maneuvers. The video did not show unusual attitude recovery but full acrobatic maneuvers. Most steam gauges will tumble (grossly inaccurate for a long time) in acrobatic maneuvers but not in unusual attitudes. I did my BFR (unusual attitude recovery under the hood) with no problem.
You are really using a false logic here. What is an unusual attitude? Aerobatics for sure if it's outside the normal attitudes.

If you can't trust your ADI during acro, how can you trust it in the clouds, disoriented and probably doing inadvertent aerobatics. Poor time to find out it tumbles too easily.

Just sayin

VAF #818
Saint Simons Island, GA. KSSI
PIF 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

I just wish I could afford to live the way I do
Old 03-31-2013, 08:32 PM

Default Acrobatic Capable Instruments

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8iator View Post
You are really using a false logic here. What is an unusual attitude? Aerobatics for sure if it's outside the normal attitudes.
Are you saying that you should only fly in IMC/IFR if your aircraft has acrobatic capable instruments? If so, the majority of certificated IFR capable aircraft should not be flying in IMC.

I believe you are using false logic by comparing apples to oranges. Just saying.

I just realized you are part of acrobatic team (TeamDynamix). Your norm is different than the majority of GA pilots/aircraft. Now I understand your point of view.

Last edited by GalinHdz : 03-31-2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 04-01-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalinHdz View Post
Are you saying that you should only fly in IMC/IFR if your aircraft has acrobatic capable instruments? If so, the majority of certificated IFR capable aircraft should not be flying in IMC.

I believe you are using false logic by comparing apples to oranges. Just saying.

I just realized you are part of acrobatic team (TeamDynamix). Your norm is different than the majority of GA pilots/aircraft. Now I understand your point of view.
A spinning gyro has physical limitations that force such behavior. Certainly not ideal, but unavoidable. Glass panels do not have that limitation, so for me spending that kind of money....I want it to remain sane regardless of how unusual the attitude gets. The point of going next generation for me is exceeding 1st generation standards. Does the GRT or AFS get wonky like that?
SARL Race#95
SnF Homebuilt Judge

2015 Sun n Fun Kit Built Reserve Grand Champion
2015 Oshkosh Kit Built Champion
2015 Jeffco Kit Built Grand Champion
2014 Oshkosh Outstanding Workmanship Award

Broken Warrior of the Jarhead Clan
Old 04-01-2013, 09:19 AM

In all the years I have been running my GRT, it NEVER has even once.
I suspect I put the GRT AHARS through a lot more than the average RV pilot.
Weekely multi turn spins, G's, lots of 360 turns, lots of up and down, down and up. Neg, Pos,. And again, not ONCE has it ever shown less than completely accurate. Its absolutely amazing.
Gold Hill, NC25
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRv View Post
A spinning gyro has physical limitations that force such behavior. Certainly not ideal, but unavoidable. Glass panels do not have that limitation, so for me spending that kind of money....I want it to remain sane regardless of how unusual the attitude gets. The point of going next generation for me is exceeding 1st generation standards. Does the GRT or AFS get wonky like that?
I'll echo what Kahuna said. I have not one time had either my Sport of my HXr ever give me the dreaded red X and I really put my stuff thru the wringer. I NEVER fly acro on the gauges, but I do look inside to check speeds and altitudes all the time and my ADI is always just telling me what's going on outside the windows

That in itself gives me the warm fuzzies when I'm in the clouds..

VAF #818
Saint Simons Island, GA. KSSI
PIF 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

I just wish I could afford to live the way I do
Old 04-26-2013, 11:57 PM

Default Skyview acro problems due to improper installation?

Not positive, but it appears the video of the Skyview vs. G3X was from someone attempting to troubleshoot his improperly installed system. According to this post on the Dynon forums, the mag heading was 5-10 degrees off when stationary on the runway. He later states the GPS inputs weren't connected correctly. In the final post, he states the shop installed the AHRS in the WING . I don't know the tech specs of their system, but I think you'd risk saturating the AHRS in normal flight, much less acro. Have to wonder if he's confusing the AHRS with the magnetometer...
Old 04-27-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
In the final post, he states the shop installed the AHRS in the WING . I don't know the tech specs of their system, but I think you'd risk saturating the AHRS in normal flight, much less acro. Have to wonder if he's confusing the AHRS with the magnetometer...
Just FYI: the ADAHRS for the Skyview system has the magnetometer built in. The installation data approves mounting the ADAHRS unit in the inboard section of the wing (not that I've ever seen one mounted there but it is possible).

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 04-27-2013, 11:06 PM

Nobody has actually answered the Dynon/acro question,, im guessing the video of the dynon getting wonky is a user install error or a bad unit,, to be sure somebody out there of you guys will go fly some acro and report back on the dynon,, were going with the 10" skyview system in our 7, if we can get it flying in the next month i'll report back
Old 04-28-2013, 01:43 PM

I have been flying my dual ADAHRS & Skyviews for over two years and will say any problem with the display not keeping up with a gyrating airplane is a non-issue. Planned to find exactly what manuvers were the worst today but got weathered out. Maybe Monday.
Sometimes when doing a couple full deflection aileron rolls I notice about 15 degrees lag at rollout but in the time that it takes to look to see exactly what it is doing, it has caught up. A slower roll does not produce this. Have not noticed anything odd in a loop but am always looking out the window.
If you find yourself in an unanticipated unusual attitude in the clouds and your Skyview is not keeping up, just center the stick for a second or so and let the airplane calm down.