What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A Bent Main Gear Leg

avrojockey

Well Known Member
Patron
Question for RV folks...

I was looking at an RV-6A for sale and the owner/builder was gracious enough to offer up damage history on the aircraft even though there was nothing noted in the logs. (Thats another issue)

He indicated on a landing incident that one of the mains was bent and so he had it sent off to be straightened. I'm concerned not for the gear but for the loads incurred at the main gear mount and wing spar. I'm not an engineer, but I know the gear bending and absorbing the energy is a good thing for the rest of the airplane.

Can someone with a little more expertise in RV-6A builds or engineering tell me if they think this could be a problem with aircraft structure down the road.

Thanks!

The entire mount is exposed ( if not covered with carpet) so inspecting it for any damage or movement should be easy. Look at each extension where it contacts the fuselage for signs of displacement. Check the spar, mount bolts. Check the wear on the tires.... They should wear the same pattern.

Question for RV folks...

I was looking at an RV-6A for sale and the owner/builder was gracious enough to offer up damage history on the aircraft even though there was nothing noted in the logs. (Thats another issue)

He indicated on a landing incident that one of the mains was bent and so he had it sent off to be straightened. I'm concerned not for the gear but for the loads incurred at the main gear mount and wing spar. I'm not an engineer, but I know the gear bending and absorbing the energy is a good thing for the rest of the airplane.

Can someone with a little more expertise in RV-6A builds or engineering tell me if they think this could be a problem with aircraft structure down the road.

Thanks!

Maybe you should consider all of the other issues.

And, If in doubt, Call Van's. They can tell you how to inspect the gear mount.

Maybe you should consider all of the other issues.

And, If in doubt, Call Van's. They can tell you how to inspect the gear mount.

There is certainly a list...pricing accordingly.

I did find a logbook entry for the gear...but it was single line and made no mention of inspecting mounts.

Back