What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Life Ins....

kklewin

Well Known Member
Went to get new life policy, 400K, 10 yr, Term Life. Went through select quote who placed me w Pacific Life. 51, non smoker, 160lbs, no med history, good shape (runner), all "greens" on lab work, filled out the aviation questionaire and was given a quote of $39 per month for 10 yr policy. Then they called back and said since I fly Experimental aircraft, the rate was going to be $90 a month. A $600 per yr increase. USAA who I have another policy with didnt have a significant rate difference.

Im an ATP, 3 Types, CFII, MEI, 16,000 hrs, 500 in RVs, and built and have been flying my -6A since 2004. (737 Pilot by day which was factored into the $39 a month rate).

Any other experimental flyer life options out there that isnt an extra $600 per yr?

Cheers,

Kurt

Went to get new life policy, 400K, 10 yr, Term Life. Went through select quote who placed me w Pacific Life. 51, non smoker, 160lbs, no med history, good shape (runner), all "greens" on lab work, filled out the aviation questionaire and was given a quote of $39 per month for 10 yr policy. Then they called back and said since I fly Experimental aircraft, the rate was going to be $90 a month. A $600 per yr increase. USAA who I have another policy with didnt have a significant rate difference.

Im an ATP, 3 Types, CFII, MEI, 16,000 hrs, 500 in RVs, and built and have been flying my -6A since 2004. (737 Pilot by day which was factored into the $39 a month rate).

Any other experimental flyer life options out there that isnt an extra $600 per yr?

Cheers,

Kurt
I went through SelectQuote a few years back and asked if it made a difference - I don't remember any issues. I am old and maybe forgot!?

Any chance your employer or union offer life insurance? These are generally well-priced and often don’t even ask if you fly (if from employer they already know it’s ‘yes’ and may not ask further).

Thanks Steve. Your contact paid off. Rate, all things equal, is $48 a month vs. 90. Highly recommend Pilot Insurance Center!

Kurt

Went through the same thing with 'scuba diving' for years... Not like I was doing anything dangerous... cave diving isn't dangerous ;), but any 'fun' activity is going to raise a flag with these underwriters...

I used my home/auto insurer - Farm Bureau - on a 20 year term, 500k policy at $48/mo I believe.... Did have the aviation question, but nothing experimental specific. The final policy did not have any exclusion for aviation activity.

Back