What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PH Aviation Flap Actuator in an RV-9

Pat Hatch

Well Known Member
Advertiser
So we've been thinking about trying the new RV-10/-14 flap actuator in an RV-9 because the -9 wing and flaps are much the same as the -10/-14 and we thought it would match the flaps aerodynamic load better. This is our larger, more robust actuator that we had originally designed for the RV-10.

My friend Tom Savrda is building an RV-9A and wanted to try the larger actuator out. So we took a look at the -9 configuration and the larger actuator actually fits pretty well. The biggest change was moving the mounting bracket about 1 1/2 inches further back than the stock location to allow for the additional length of the new actuator. You can see from the pictures below the original stock location and the new location. The brackets could have been made with 0.063" angle but all we had lying around was the 1/8", but it worked well. We were quite pleased with the fit. The stroke length is the same as the Van's flap motors so nothing changes there. The actuators have built in limit switches which stop the motor at both extremes of the stroke. Also, they have an internal position sensor which can be fed directly into your PFD for flap position indication.

So we are now recommending the RV-10/-14 actuator for RV-9s for those interested in upgrading your flap motor.

Attachments

• IMG_4543.JPG
    IMG_4543.JPG
    331.9 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_4990.JPG
    IMG_4990.JPG
    328.7 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_4989.JPG
    IMG_4989.JPG
    324.1 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_4546.JPG
    IMG_4546.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 436
So what would be the reason to spend the extra money on this motor vs the regular 9A one?

Built in travel limit switch's
Built in travel position sensor
Better linear actuator design in general
The stock Van's flap motor has known issues. They work until they don't. Some people even carry spare replacement motors in their onboard tool bag. I did.

Built in travel limit switch's
Built in travel position sensor
Better linear actuator design in general
The stock Van's flap motor has known issues. They work until they don't. Some people even carry spare replacement motors in their onboard tool bag. I did.

Sorry I should have been more specific. I was wondering why install the RV10/14 motor vs the regular PH motor that is for the other models? I was contemplating getting the standard mpotor since I am building a 9A but now the RV10/14 motor is recommended?

Sorry I should have been more specific. I was wondering why install the RV10/14 motor vs the regular PH motor that is for the other models? I was contemplating getting the standard mpotor since I am building a 9A but now the RV10/14 motor is recommended?

The standard RV Flap Actuator will work on the RV-9, however, we feel that because of the increased aerodynamic load of the -9 flaps over say the RV-7 and RV-8, the RV-10/-14 actuator is a better choice. It is double the load rating of the smaller actuator. We haven't had any reports of the smaller RV Flap Actuator having any problems with the RV-9, so we're not basing it on any problems that we know of. We just like the RV-10/-14 actuator a lot! It is really a solid unit.

Back