What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who says an RV can't strengthen a marriage ??

Darren S

Well Known Member
Good afternoon VAF family,

Because of the positive pireps from the VAF crew, my wife and I decided to fly down to Sunriver, Oregon for our Anniversary. It was a wonderful trip. The staff was exceptional, the food was great and the scenery was outstanding.

There was more snow down there than back in Calgary ! All in all a great getaway and highly recommended if you are looking to spend some time with your significant other.

Sure we could have flown commercial :( or driven 17 hours (double :() but why when we have access to Time Machines called RV's :).

Flying time was a little under 4 hours with a slight headwind. Can't beat that !

So if you are having trouble in your relationship, go see Dr. RV Marriage Counselor and all will be well :)

Enjoy the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYbwDvrr9tE

Darren

Darren, little early Valentines gift???

Thanks for sharing, looks like you had a great time.

Darren,
That is one awesome video. I love the feel the music gives to it. Congratulations on your anniversary in the RV.

Questions:
Did you build your RV?
and
What is the vertical blue tape (assuming that was tape) in front of your air inlets?

Really really great video! Beautiful plane, wife and music!
My wife and me watched it together and got some ideas too.... :)

Thanks alot for sharing!

PS: I'm also courious about those blue things across the intake?

Last edited:
Excellent!

Darren, thanks for posting. You have a beautiful wife and thank goodness your kids take after her! :D

Seriously, Enjoyed the video. Gives us all motivation.

You're a very lucky guy!

Glad you all liked the video. I'm enjoying the video making process these days. I used a Drift Stealth 170 HD camera.

No, I can't take bragging rights for building this RV. I started a -7 some years ago but that doesn't count. The build wasn't a waste though as it did give me enough experience to know what a well built RV should look like. GCVW was built by a fella named John Myers in the New England area in 2006.

The blue masking tape was my attempt to drive up the CHT's. We departed in -10 degree C weather and I knew the engine and my heater would have trouble keeping us warm. The OAT crossing the mountains was -19 degrees C. I think it worked a little but haven't experimented enough with blocking off the inlet air to say for certain.

As the saying goes," keep pounding them rivets, it's all worth it in the end !!"

Darren

and yea, lucky the kids get their looks from mommy :)

Awesome...

Video, Family, airplane and flight Darren!!! :)

Thanks!! Greg

Last edited:
One to show the wife

I've enjoyed all of your videos and this one tops the list. I'll be sure to show my wife, who has enjoyed many trips in our RV-6. Best wishes to you and your wife on your anniversary.

Darren,

Your video is AWESOME, beautiful, and very touching. I immediately sent it to my wife and asked her for a similar anniversary date. Then I looked up your other videos and watched every one I could find. You do incredible video work! I love it.

Now... I gotta get busy and get this RV of mine finished, so it's ready for our date!

Weekend in a nice Resort........$1000

Travel Expenses in your RV $800

Sticking your Finger up your wifes nose on video, and posting on the internet....PRICELESS :D:D:D

Now you will have to pay over and over and over...........:eek:

Very Nice

One of the best aviation videos I've ever seen. Thanks man--

Yours is a truly outstanding video. You managed to skillfully capture and showcase the very special chemistry you and your beautiful wife obviously share. On a technical level, I thought the graphics, music choice and skillful editing entirely appropriate. Excellent. You are a very fortunate and talented fellow Darren, thank you for sharing!

I couldn't help but smile.

Congrats my friend. Coming up on my 10 year anniversary this year and hope to do something similar.

Best,
Jamie

Very Cool

Nice job Darren!

That is really cool! I love how you have woven the people into the video with the airplanes - something that I think a lot of us miss.

Good on ya!

Darren, That is a great video and you have a nice family there. If you don't have an oil cooler shutter you probably should put one on like the one Van's sells. Good choice of planes, I have one

A place you may consider taking her on a future anniversary

IMG-7.jpg

Darren, this is Mackinac Island and the Grand Hotel. I took Jeanine there from southern California for our 25th on October 7, 1992. The runway is just above the wingtip in the photo. The taxi from the airport to the town is horse drawn, there are no cars on the island.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Darren,

I have #16 coming up, and being the Neanderthal that I am, would you mind if steal some of your ideas ? :D

Lucky Lucky Lucky!

I've watched a bunch of RV videos, you are a lucky man!

Ya got a pretty nice plane too.

Thank you all for the Anniversary wishes and for such positive feedback :) I thank the Lord for all His blessing, one of them being my RV.

165 days to go till "VansKosh", I'm planning to be there, hope to see you there.

Last year was my first year there and by my estimation HBC was about 70% RV's. With Van being the honoree for the week, can you imagine how many RV's will be there !!! Can't wait to see.

Have a good one everybody.

Darren

RE: RV Grin

OK Darren, way to give me that RV Grin without even flying my RV. Just drop dead gorgeous everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Back