What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cockpit noise

pat

Well Known Member
Like many I have made my floorboards removeable by installing nut plates. I was thinking of mounting the floor through a thin layer of felt to cut down on vibration/cockpit noise. Has anyone done this and did it help?
Thanks in advance.

wind noise

unfortunately the noise doesn't really come from the floor. I had exhaust pipes
with no turn down after they exited the cowling and they did cause floor
vibration. After installing turn down tips, that problem diminished. Most of
the noise is from the canopy. The exhuast sytems now from Vans have the
turned down tips.

I bought material and carpet

In the floor of RV-6A there are stringers made from angle. I bought insulating material from Becki Orndorf (SP?) that is as thick as the upward extension of the angle. I glued that onto the floor then I glued carpet material (that I also bought from Becki) that I cut to the size of the left and right floor over the top of the insulating material and the stringers. I never flew without it so I can't give you an objective evaluation. That area seem quiet and vabration free but as Chino Tom says it is not a really quiet environment - not bad but certainly not quiet. That having been said - on long VFR cross countries My wife and I would take off our headsets for ear relief and we could talk just fine.

What you are thinking makes sense to me.

Bob Axsom

DB meter Apps

The iPhone has DB meter apps. I bought one and tested my RV7, it runs 99 db in cruise at about 160 kts. My 54 inch 28 hp riding lawn mower read about 97 db. The demo sound booths at OSH used to try new headsets were 89-90 db. if you get one of these cheap Apps you could measure any improvements you made. My rv7 has no sound deadening material.

The $1200 solution

I have thick insulation on my floor, and my firewall is insulated. My plane is still very noisy from the wind over the canopy. The $1200 will buy you two good sets of ANR head sets, and that makes more difference than everything else combined. I invested less than $200 a set, in two old David Clark 10-30 headsets to make them ANR. I think the Company was Headsets Inc.

Steve Barnes "The Builders Coach"

Patrick,

I used Dynamat on my cockpit. JEG's

I like it and noise is limited.

Flew the EAA's two RV-6A's for quite a while, both sliders. One had a really good rubber canopy seal, the other had none. The difference was night and day. You could take the headset off in the one with the canopy seal and still have a conversation.

Flew the EAA's two RV-6A's for quite a while, both sliders. One had a really good rubber canopy seal, the other had none. The difference was night and day. You could take the headset off in the one with the canopy seal and still have a conversation.

Did they just run some sort of rubber seal around the canopy ? Can you give more details please, or a photo.

Did they just run some sort of rubber seal around the canopy ? Can you give more details please, or a photo.

Man that was like 12-13 years ago.... no photos.

It was basically like the same rubber seal you find on a car door, glued in around the forward canopy bow. The last like 1/8th of a turn on the canopy latch when you locked it, really cinched it down and got a nice tight seal. Joe Shumacher at the EAA was the builder, he could probably still tell you. Or if you go to Oshkosh, look at 6YE.

The iPhone has DB meter apps. I bought one and tested my RV7, it runs 99 db in cruise at about 160 kts. My 54 inch 28 hp riding lawn mower read about 97 db. The demo sound booths at OSH used to try new headsets were 89-90 db. if you get one of these cheap Apps you could measure any improvements you made. My rv7 has no sound deadening material.

Ok,
Put the DB meter on the phone and ran some tests.
Totally Dynamatted cockpit and rear bulkhead and
forward firewall.

ECi-IO-360
Vetterman 4 pipe
Hartzell 7497

My car at yes 80mph------------77DB
Plane at idle--------------------77 DB
Plane at 24/24------------------72 DB:)
Plane at 23/21------------------72DB:mad:
Thought the last one would come down.

I could not believe that it was at 72. Real shocker here.

Loaded the APP or two on a TEST pilots phone so
we should get some more readbacks soon.You know
who you are.:D

Please post DB readings on this thread so we
can compare.

....$1200 will buy you two good sets of ANR head sets, and that makes more difference than everything else combined....
Soundproofing adds weight. The only soundproofing in an RV I ever thought worth it is leather seats. I agree with Steve's advice. You have to wear headsets anyway so why not make em high quality ANR? My Stratus 50D's are so efficient I usually turn off the noise cancelling feature anyway.

rqyuz4.jpg

Back