What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Akzo 10P4-2, Azko 463-12-8 and SW P60G2

red beard

I'm New Here
I know that this is probably the tenth post on primer today, but after private messaging a few members who haven't yet and may or may not respond I thought I would post this.

I've just started my RV7 and after many hours of decision making I've found building an RV consist of more than just the "simple" decisions (ex tail wheel/ nose wheel). One of those tough decisions is whether or not to prime. I'm in the military and will be moving over the new few years so I decided to prime the plane, but haven't been able to decide what primer to use. I've been debating between Akzo 10p4-2, Akzo 463-12-8 and SW P60G2. From what I can tell the 10P4-2 is one of the best options, but I wanted everyone's opinion. The 463 looks to be very similar, but it contains lead and cadmium. Finally, the P60G2, which Vans uses, says it provides no significant corrosion resistance so I'm not sure why they use it.

Any thoughts? Also, do you feel scrubbing your Alclad parts with a Scotchbrite pad ruins its properties or could cause eventual hairline fractures?

Thanks in advance.

Red,
A light scuffing of the alclad is all that is needed. (dull the shine to a satin finish) I use alumprep while scuffing to clean the part. Akzo is a very good product I used it on my first project. Only negative is it dries fast and hard. Ruined a couple of spray guns by leaving it in too long. I'm using Kirker Enduro Prime epoxy primer on my current project. Not as bad for your health as the Akzo and half the price for a two gallon kit. This primer takes a few days to cure to full hardness and makes the gun cleaning chore much easier. Auto Body Tool Mart caries the brand.

Ariel
Rv 7A sold

RV 8 under construction

If you use the Akzo 463...

Red,
A light scuffing of the alclad is all that is needed. (dull the shine to a satin finish) I use alumprep while scuffing to clean the part. Akzo is a very good product I used it on my first project. Only negative is it dries fast and hard. Ruined a couple of spray guns by leaving it in too long.......

Ariel
Rv 7A sold

RV 8 under construction

...primer, it should not go hard in the gun...

It has a 8 hour pot life, but dries to the touch in 15 minutes.

This is one of the best features of the product.

http://www.kalinskyconsulting.com/rvproj/docs/akzo_463128_datasheet.pdf

I used the 463 for the whole project and found it just about perfect. Easy to mix, sprays very well, cleans up easily with acetone. I'm sure that if you let it sit for hours it would become hard to clean out of a gun, but why would this happen?

Red,
A light scuffing of the alclad is all that is needed. (dull the shine to a satin finish) I use alumprep while scuffing to clean the part. Akzo is a very good product I used it on my first project. Only negative is it dries fast and hard. Ruined a couple of spray guns by leaving it in too long. I'm using Kirker Enduro Prime epoxy primer on my current project. Not as bad for your health as the Akzo and half the price for a two gallon kit. This primer takes a few days to cure to full hardness and makes the gun cleaning chore much easier. Auto Body Tool Mart caries the brand.

Ariel
Rv 7A sold

RV 8 under construction

So no experience with the Akzo 10P4-2? I'm really leaning to this and was hoping that someone had used it. I searched and found an old post about the product but the guy who brought it up ended up using spray cans for the whole project.

Final Answer

Well I went with the SW P60G2 because after talking with numerous retired AF mechanics I discovered that aluminum doesn't tend to corrode all the way through like cars do. If it does it is over a very long time and I plan on inspecting my plane pretty regularly. However, it will oxidize and the SW does protect against this. So based on price and availability the SW was the best match.

Well I went with the SW P60G2 because after talking with numerous retired AF mechanics I discovered that aluminum doesn't tend to corrode all the way through like cars do. If it does it is over a very long time and I plan on inspecting my plane pretty regularly. However, it will oxidize and the SW does protect against this. So based on price and availability the SW was the best match.

It will take a very long time. The below photo is what it will look like if you leave in the southeastern US for 42 years (8 of those on the Gulf Coast), then move it to California for 14 more. And that is only if you insulate with fiberglass batting and allow the airplane to leak. All that said, I'm priming my HRII, but more for resale than any real concern for corrosion.

14v39tv.jpg

Enduro Prime vs Azko

Ariel, can you comment on the hardness/durability and corrosion resistance of Enduro Prime vs Azko? Any thoughts on weight vs Enduro Prime?

I am trying to decide between the two and would prefer Enduro Prime due to cost and color (if some areas of the interior remain exposed, I prefer gray to green).

Thanks in advance.

Red,

Ariel
Rv 7A sold

RV 8 under construction

EnduroPrime

Ariel, can you comment on the hardness/durability and corrosion resistance of Enduro Prime vs Azko? Any thoughts on weight vs Enduro Prime?

I am trying to decide between the two and would prefer Enduro Prime due to cost and color (if some areas of the interior remain exposed, I prefer gray to green).

Thanks in advance.

That post was 10 years ago so you may not get an aswer. Since I use EnduroPrime, I will chime in. They are both epoxies. 2K. EndroPrime is really hard after it cures. I never used Akzo so no comparison is possible. If I built another, EnduroPrime would be my interior primer/paint. Gray and Black. One paint, less weight, cheap, easy to touch up and color match is consistent. I would still use P60G2 everywhere else. It's even lighter.

That post was 10 years ago so you may not get an aswer. Since I use EnduroPrime, I will chime in. They are both epoxies. 2K. EndroPrime is really hard after it cures. I never used Akzo so no comparison is possible. If I built another, EnduroPrime would be my interior primer/paint. Gray and Black. One paint, less weight, cheap, easy to touch up and color match is consistent. I would still use P60G2 everywhere else. It's even lighter.

Thanks! When you say "everywhere else", where is everywhere else?

Also, Kirker told me Enduro prime will turn white/ashy if exposed to sunlight. Have you had that problem?

Back