What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN-650 ???

622BH

Well Known Member
I just finished installing a second GTN-650 in my 9A.
With necessary differences in wiring to identify #2 from #1 (in accordance with Installation Manual Rev F) the two units are installed identical.
Software version 6.50 was installed in the new unit; the old GTN was already updated. Both units have Cross-Fill enabled and are "talking" to each other. I also enabled Database Sync on both.
In my Garmin Chart Data account I selected Database Sync, downloaded the latest iteration of databases; installed it on two SD cards.
The old GTN works as expected.
GTN #2 however is giving me fits: 1) Chartdata will not install; 2) NAV Heading will not change from True to Magnetic (when Magnetic is selected, the setting reverts back to True).
I've tried using three SD cards to install Chart Data - NO GO. I'm now begging for help.
Thanks for suggestions on resolving these issues.

Follow-up Question

Today I reset the Configuration Module in hopes of clearing the system set-up. Then attempted reloading the databases again. No luck on getting any further beyond the problem(s).

NAV database will not install; Basemap 18M1 installed correctly; Obstacle database installed (effective 8 Nov 2018); Safe Taxi database will not install; Terrain databasae 16T1 will not install.

Cross-Fill fails due to mismatch of databases.
Database Sync does not help in this situation.

Nav Angle will not change from True to Magnetic.

At least the comm portion of the unit works! Just can't use the device as a back-up navigation unit...

Just as an FYI and not sure if will effect your install but Rev R is the latest edition of the GTN install manual, might be a good place to start.

Make sure the SD car you are using is a 16GB card. I?ve had the exact problem you are seeing with an 8GB card. Switched to 16GB and it worked.

I'll Try!

Walt: Yes, after contacting the vendor and getting a Rev R copy of the Installation Manual I confirmed all wiring with that. In fact there were no differences between Rev F and Rev R - as far as the wiring of the unit was concerned. I've researched the manual for possible help - NO GO!

Jesse: Indeed! I've been using the Garmin supplied cards. They are 8GB cards. One would have thought they would provide cards that be sufficient. I've got several 16, 32, and 64 GB cards. I'll reformat one or two of them and download the Chart Data from Fly Garmin then see if that makes any difference.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, its time to contact Garmin Support. I'll post today's results this evening.

I updated my GTN650 to the new 6.50 software and had an issue. It had me concerned because I was flying to DC the next morning. I was getting the same errors you are. A call to Garmin had me going very quickly.
Apparently there is a older and newer version of the downloader software.
I was using the older.
He had me use the newer one shown on the website and it worked perfect.
https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/
The new downloader is the "FlyGarmin for Windows" @ the bottom right of the page.

Problem Resolved!

Exhausted all my options so I called Garmin Support. Spoke with Ian. Here's the results:

1) Reformat Garmin supplied 8GB SD card
2) Sign in to FlyGarmin account and select Update current databases
3) DO NOT select Database Sync; select only the specific GTN-650 to be updated
4) Download databases
At the airplane:
1. Install the “new” card in the GTN-650
2. Power up only the specific GTN-650 to be updated, while holding down “Home” button
3. When the Setup screen appears select “Updates”
4. Select All or each database individually; click on “Update”

All went well, all databases were updated successfully.

Take-aways: 1) Only the CURRENT database can be initially installed on a brand new unit; 2) Do NOT select Database Sync on FlyGarmin for initial install; 3) Database Sync and Cross-Fill will not work for an initial installation; 4) the Garmin supplied 8GB cards will work – but reformatting is strongly encouraged if any data has been loaded to them previously.
After the databases updated the NAV Angle automatically switched to Magnetic. Having the Navigation Database installed is required before that setting can change.

I now have two fully operational GTN-650s, which should greatly improve my IFR flying experiences.

Last edited:
I just finished installing a second GTN-650 in my 9A.
With necessary differences in wiring to identify #2 from #1 (in accordance with Installation Manual Rev F) the two units are installed identical.
Software version 6.50 was installed in the new unit; the old GTN was already updated. Both units have Cross-Fill enabled and are "talking" to each other. I also enabled Database Sync on both.
In my Garmin Chart Data account I selected Database Sync, downloaded the latest iteration of databases; installed it on two SD cards.
The old GTN works as expected.
GTN #2 however is giving me fits: 1) Chartdata will not install; 2) NAV Heading will not change from True to Magnetic (when Magnetic is selected, the setting reverts back to True).
I've tried using three SD cards to install Chart Data - NO GO. I'm now begging for help.
Thanks for suggestions on resolving these issues.

6.50 had screen blanking issues 6.51 is out already.

I too.

I also haven't seen any mention of version 6.51. A link would be greatly appreciated.
Though not using 6.50 extensively, I've not had any screen blanking issues either.
But I sure like the QWERTY keyboard!

GTN V6.51 EAB Service Bulletin

We are working on finish up the Service Bulletin to support EAB aircraft owners to load GTN V6.51 software. The Service Bulletin is in the final stages of review and we are working to have it posted to the web tomorrow (11/9/18).

When it is available, it will be posted here: https://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00G3X-00

Note, the primary issue fixed in GTN 6.51 only affects users with a GTX 345(R)/45R or GDL 88 connected to a GTN for ADS-B weather.

Thanks,
Levi Self
Team X Project Manager

Back