What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anti-chafe Tape for Gear Leg Fairings?

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
Anyone put anti-chafe tape on their gear leg fairings? Mine got stained with fuel and nothing I tried removed the stains. My fairings are currently getting repainted (not for the stains, but that?s a topic for another thread). So to keep them from getting stained again, I?m trying to think of a way to cover the legs, ether temporarily for when I can?t be there for refueling that would be easy to put on and takeoff before flight, or something more permanent like the tape or some coating (like a wax) that would resist fuel and keep the fairings looking good. Any suggestions?

Todd, how about getting some clear vinyl and covering the legs after painting. The vinyl works well for me.

Todd, how about getting some clear vinyl and covering the legs after painting. The vinyl works well for me.

Does the vinyl have an adhesive or electrostatic properties like kitchen plastic wrap?

OT: I’m moving my 10 to VDF in August.

Last edited:
3M Polyurethane Leading Edge Tape

I have had very good results using the 3M product for protection of all of my leading edge surfaces except for the leg fairings. The film has been great for protection against impact damages, but, by the time I noticed that I had a pair of simultaneous leaky tank drains, the fuel got under the film and caused the film to bubble up and become distorted. When I peeled the film off the gear legs, some paint was removed with the film.

Todd, the vinyl has adhesive that acpparently increases its adhesion over about a week so it?s easy to remove if you place it incorrectly, but cures until it really sticks. Even so, I have not had problems removing old vinyl. However, my vinyl is on the aluminum or fiberglass, not paint. I suspect if your paint job is not perfect, the vinyl will take paint off with it when it?s removed.

If fuel gets underneath the vinyl it will destroy the adhesive and the vinyl will lift. I covered the gear leg fairings because fuel ruined some paint I had on them and they are holding up well.

Look me up when you get to VDF.

Does the vinyl have an adhesive or electrostatic properties like kitchen plastic wrap?

OT: I?m moving my 10 to VDF in August.

For small thin areas, I use clear vulcanizing tape. Sticks to itself, not the paint, can stretch 300% for a tight hold.

Best regards,
Mike

Look up PPF in other VAF threads.... paint protection film. It's GOOD stuff and cheap.

Blake sells it here.

It will last for 10 years or more and peels off w/o leaving residue. Also it's flexible enough for curve.

Like I said, GOOD stuff.

Back