What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Time to order the fuselage..

Diego9

I'm New Here
Hello all,
I am currently busy building the empennage for a 9... and it is time to order the next kit. The plan is to order a slow build fuselage now and a quick build wing later.

The questions:
1)I have read that when inverting the sequence (fuse before wing) some parts from the wing have to be ordered together with the fuselage... but when asking Vans I was told that the only change is that some fuselage parts normally shipped with the wing because they fit the long box, would have to be shipped with the rest of the fuselage and this increases the shipping cost a bit ... is this correct?

2) I plan to install, during construction, two popular mods: almost 14 mod and super tracks mod. Do I need to change or cancel any parts from the standard fuselage order?

I am trying to get it right at the first shot as I am building in Europe and shipment are not cheap...

Thanks to anybody who can help to clarify the above.

Regards
Diego

The two really long angle sections that are used in the fuselage as longerons are put in the long box that is used to ship the spars for the wing kit.

There is also the center spar carry through bulkheads used in the fuselage.
I can't recall if that shipped with the wing kit, but it isn't terribly large like the longeron pieces.

Longerons

Bruce is correct. Tthe two fuse longerons need to be included. Add two more. Two additional cost nothing extra to ship but if you make a mistake, one shipped separately will be very expensive. They will probably put the Center Section in the main crate.

Hello all,
I am currently busy building the empennage for a 9... and it is time to order the next kit. The plan is to order a slow build fuselage now and a quick build wing later.

The questions:
1)I have read that when inverting the sequence (fuse before wing) some parts from the wing have to be ordered together with the fuselage... but when asking Vans I was told that the only change is that some fuselage parts normally shipped with the wing because they fit the long box, would have to be shipped with the rest of the fuselage and this increases the shipping cost a bit ... is this correct?

2) I plan to install, during construction, two popular mods: almost 14 mod and super tracks mod. Do I need to change or cancel any parts from the standard fuselage order?

I am trying to get it right at the first shot as I am building in Europe and shipment are not cheap...

Thanks to anybody who can help to clarify the above.

Regards
Diego

Depending on where you are having the kit shipped too, a standard fuselage kit could be quite a bit more to ship with longerons because they do not go in the fuselage kit crate. They are separate 20 ft long package. So Wirejocks' statement of being very expensive to ship a replacement longeron, still somewhat applies for your kit because they are shipping by the same packaging regardless.

Absolutely agree with the recommendation to purchase additional longerons, angle aluminum, J-channel, etc with your kit. Doesn't add much of anything to your shipping charges.

It's great insurance in case you do something dumb (or multiple dumb things in my case!)

J-channel

Absolutely agree with the recommendation to purchase additional longerons, angle aluminum, J-channel, etc with your kit. Doesn't add much of anything to your shipping charges.

It's great insurance in case you do something dumb (or multiple dumb things in my case!)

Yes, I forgot that. J-Channel. Get two additional. Handy stuff. Also one or two .090" & .125" 3/4 X 3/4 angle.

Thanks for the feedback!
Summary: no need to add wing parts, shipment will cost more due to long parts normally shipped with wings, two additional longhorns and 2 J channels are a good "insurance" in case of mistakes.

What about almost14 mod and super tracks mod? Is the standard fuse kit good as is or do I need to change anything?

Thanks again to the help, you are the best!

Diego

Back