What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

lower rear fuselage attach

BravoAlphaRomeo

Hey gang - quick question
Page 10-17, attaching F- 01479 lower aft fuselage to rest of fuselage. I see where it tucks between the F-01410 and the aft bottom skin. How about the lower stiffener that runs aft ? I tried it both ways and actually prefer F01479
tucked on the inside of it, keeps the side skin directly attached to the stiffener
all the way back...

Anyway, seeking opinions or education 😉

BAR

Not how I interpreted the plans or did it. I think it is a stronger structure with f01479 riveted directly to the skin. The stiffener is attached inside those two skins.

Thanks for reply ! My only beef is that it forces the stiffener to step to the inside
of 01479 which causes a gap prior to that step (couple of inches). Not going to be healthy for it when those couple of rivets are set. I ended up calling vans today and they said either way would be fine as long as everything is structurally sound and and nothing is stressed. I’m stressed 🤨🤨 !!!
Cold beer - I’ll be fine...

Anyway, thanks again for insight !

We attached a short (about 1.5") of .032 to the stiffener as a small shim to help the transition and used a longer rivet.

The intent is that all skins lay on the outside of all the sub-structure.

If you lapped it under the J stiffener, there will be a substantial step between the side skin and the aft bottom skin.

I put half of the rivets in today in that section with 01479 on the inside of the stiffener. The side skin completely covers the stiffener so it’s not really detectable how it’s layered. Unless you can convince me that is changes anything structurally I’m going to leave it as is. If i would have seen this message this morning I probably would have done it the other way....
Thanks for feedback. BAR

Ok after weighing everyone’s comments and staring at it for an hour with a cold beer i have decided that tomorrow morning I will drill out a dozen rivets and switch the position of the stiffeners. Really shouldn’t be to tough. i have a nice selection of ooops rivets if necessary. Lesson learned :eek:

Since you are taking it apart, I double checked the thickness of the shim we used (just forward of the lower aft skin 1479). Attached it to the stiffener1486 with a single rivet AN426 3-3.5 halfway between the rivet for the bulkhead and the next forward rivet. The material is .020 about 1.25 inches long and a half inch wide. After attachment we match drilled the next forward hole in the stiffener and dimpled. All said and done it keeps the outer skin from having to be pulled in against the stiffener the full .040 thickness of the 1479 skin at the first rivet forward of the bulkhead. Hope this makes sense.
Roger

Yes makes perfect sense. I reworked it all in about 90 minutes. I have not addressed those couple rivets where the stiffener angles inside the aft fuselage. I will cut a shim as you described and all should be good. I’m glad I took the time to switch it so I don’t have to obsess over it for the rest of my life....:eek:
Thanks for info. BAR

Back