What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV14 Engine question

utawl

Hi,

Has anybody fitted a I0-360 200hp with a rear mounted CSU to an RV14. This engine will definitely not fit on an RV14A due to the space being filled with a bungee.

I don't want to make an expensive mistake and purchase the engine and it will interfere with the engine mount?

Thank you in advance.

The fwd. mounted prop. gov. engine is specified for both the tri gear and the tail dragger because there would be interference with a rear mounted gov. on either model.

I believe the I0-360 200hp is the same weight as the one used in the RV14 at Vans, it just has the CSU at the back of the engine.

Hello
Due to having one I installed an Lyc IO-360 A3B6D to my -14. The engine has a rear mounted governor and the beloved Bendix D2000/D3000 series magneto. The engine suits the engine mount very well and does not interfere with other brackets or weldments.
The oil and fuel hoses are custom made, also the hoses for the map-, fuel- and oil pressure sensor.
The RV-14 Vetterman exhaust fits perfectly. The engine baffles had to be slightly modified due to the missing front governor. The cowling also fits perfect.
Mixture and throttle cables are standard, the governor cable a special order.
It also clears the 13-row oil cooler and mount.
There should be no w&b issues as Scott mentioned. My -14 is not yet flying but the engine installation is completed and it has test run. No issues so far. I will probably change to an elecrtonic ignition but first flights will be done with the standard configuration. We´ll see
Gerd

Hi Gerd,

Thank you, that is very helpful? Did you have a forward facing throttle body or did you have to exchange the sump?

Hello
Due to having one I installed an Lyc IO-360 A3B6D to my -14. The engine has a rear mounted governor and the beloved Bendix D2000/D3000 series magneto. The engine suits the engine mount very well and does not interfere with other brackets or weldments.
The oil and fuel hoses are custom made, also the hoses for the map-, fuel- and oil pressure sensor.
The RV-14 Vetterman exhaust fits perfectly. The engine baffles had to be slightly modified due to the missing front governor. The cowling also fits perfect.
Mixture and throttle cables are standard, the governor cable a special order.
It also clears the 13-row oil cooler and mount.
There should be no w&b issues as Scott mentioned. My -14 is not yet flying but the engine installation is completed and it has test run. No issues so far. I will probably change to an elecrtonic ignition but first flights will be done with the standard configuration. We´ll see
Gerd

Hi Gerd,
That is very interesting.

So you have this engine installed with a constant speed propeller and a rear mounted propeller governor on a tail dragger RV-14?

There is no interference between the prop. gov. and the oil cooler? If not is it a standard RV-14 oil cooler installation.

Could you post some photos of the clearance in this area?

Scott
Yes, this engine is installed with a constant speed propeller and a rear mount governor in a tail dragger RV-14. The prop governor clears the oil cooler by at least 2 inches. It is a standard Vans oil cooler installation. The engine (A3B6D) got only one mag drive and it might be that the governor is in a different position compared to the two mag versions.
I do not know how to post photos here. I could e-mail pics to you if you send me your address. (PN)
Gerd

Last edited:
Scott
Yes, this engine is installed with a constant speed propeller and a rear mount governor in a tail dragger RV-14. The prop governor clears the oil cooler by at least 2 inches. It is a standard Vans oil cooler installation. The engine (A3B6D) got only one mag drive and it might be that the governor is in a different position compared to the two mag versions.
I do not know how to post photos here. I could e-mail pics to you if you send me your address. (PN)
Gerd

To post photos directly in the forums, you click the paperclip tab at the top of the reply window, then click choose a file on your computer and then click upload.

If you would like to send some photos to me directly, e-mail them to [email protected] and put "attention Scott McDaniels" in the subject line.

Back