What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin VIRB 360 or ?

rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I read about a dozen or so posts about the VIRB 360 not working with the G3X touch panels. They were older posts so any update?

If not, what video camera have you found works best that I could display on one of my screens?

Im thinking of a camera mounted on the belly of the plane or maybe just behind the canopy on top for cool videos.

Any camera suggestions or placement advice? With such a wide range of price from really cheap to really expensive, it is hard to decide. I know quality costs and ok with that but Im not going to do youtube videos - mostly just for me to keep track of my flying.

Thanks

I’d go with a GoPro over Garmin. The only thing the garmin gets you is the ability to start/stop recording or take a photo from the G3X. It gets you wireless audio too if that is important. I just plug my GoPro into my headset jack and it works just as nicely.

Is the goal to have an in-cockpit display, or monitor it for recording videos?

I use both GoPro and VIRB products, so I'm generally familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoWEO42tjS4&t=223s

If it is a full-time view you are after, I'd look to wire in a regular (i.e. non-action cam) camera.

Turning it on and off in the cockpit can be a challenge in general, even with remotes or the garmin system. It works pretty good, but not 100%. And on the belly can be extra challenging using a wireless system.

I just plug my GoPro into my headset jack and it works just as nicely.

This is good to know. I looked at the Hero9 manual and could not find mention of an external microphone jack. Is that what you have?

Is the goal to have an in-cockpit display, or monitor it for recording videos?

I use both GoPro and VIRB products, so I'm generally familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoWEO42tjS4&t=223s

If it is a full-time view you are after, I'd look to wire in a regular (i.e. non-action cam) camera.

Turning it on and off in the cockpit can be a challenge in general, even with remotes or the garmin system. It works pretty good, but not 100%. And on the belly can be extra challenging using a wireless system.

Thanks for the response. When I clicked on your link I realized I had already seen your video and some of the other ones. Very nice.

I hadnt really thought through what I wanted to video. I may need 2 cameras. I do want to see the panel and what I am doing and listen to the radio. I also like the view in your flying shots.

Where are your cameras mounted and what type? I dont think I care if I can monitor it in flight but I dont know enough it that is a good idea or not.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the compliment :)

I’d say you can do it with 1 360 cam, but the editing is a pretty big pain.

A good hack is to put a newer gopro (4K) a little behind the seats up high. Then you can kind of see it all. You can run audio into that, too. I have a tiny bit of footage from that position on a few videos—check out the video going to Astoria for a few shots where the camera is behind me.

But you won’t beat a two camera setup. Or more.

I have cameras mounted in different places depending on what I’m shooting. I actually really like a rearward facing camera under the wing for formation (like the “seatac said no” video).

I also have the plane around mount on my left wing.

If you don’t need full forward view, or can stand looking through the prop, mounting them inside the cabin is no problem. A bonus is you can chard the and be really sure they are recording (or even truubkeshoot).

This is good to know. I looked at the Hero9 manual and could not find mention of an external microphone jack. Is that what you have?

At least on the 6-8 you have to buy the proprietary input to use a 3.5mm. And an adapter that looks the same won’t work....there is a chip in there. I tried 🤣

VIRB Action Camera

I read about a dozen or so posts about the VIRB 360 not working with the G3X touch panels. They were older posts so any update?

If not, what video camera have you found works best that I could display on one of my screens?

Im thinking of a camera mounted on the belly of the plane or maybe just behind the canopy on top for cool videos.

Any camera suggestions or placement advice? With such a wide range of price from really cheap to really expensive, it is hard to decide. I know quality costs and ok with that but Im not going to do youtube videos - mostly just for me to keep track of my flying.

Thanks

Good Morning,

The main advantage of using one of the Garmin VIRB action cameras is that the GDU 46X display is equipped with a wireless interface that you can use to control the camera to start and stop video recording, and take pictures. The Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 is a good choice for this purpose. It can also be connected via Bluetooth to a GMA 245 audio panel to record audio.

This post provides some of the information you would need to interface the camera to the G3X display for the video feed.

Here is a link to the VIRB Ultra 30, with the Aviation bundle. You are able to purchase it without the aviation bundle, it would be a bit cheaper in that case.

Please feel free to reach out to us with any other questions you may have for connected whichever camera you choose to go with, at [email protected].

Thanks,

Justin

Good Morning,

The main advantage of using one of the Garmin VIRB action cameras is that the GDU 46X display is equipped with a wireless interface that you can use to control the camera to start and stop video recording, and take pictures. The Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 is a good choice for this purpose. It can also be connected via Bluetooth to a GMA 245 audio panel to record audio.

This post provides some of the information you would need to interface the camera to the G3X display for the video feed.

Here is a link to the VIRB Ultra 30, with the Aviation bundle. You are able to purchase it without the aviation bundle, it would be a bit cheaper in that case.

Please feel free to reach out to us with any other questions you may have for connected whichever camera you choose to go with, at [email protected].

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks Justin.

Does the VIRB work with the G900X panel? I do have the Flightstream 210 in use.

-Marc

Good Morning,

Thanks,

Justin

At least on the 6-8 you have to buy the proprietary input to use a 3.5mm. And an adapter that looks the same won’t work....there is a chip in there. I tried ��

I just spoke with GoPro regarding external mic on the Hero9 - it requires an extra accessory to provide a 3.5mm jack. ADFMD-001 is the part number, $80 apparently no bluetooth. :(

The VIRB 30 definitely has the necessary capability.

Last edited:
action cameras with USB power

I bought a couple of cheap action cameras just to play around before "investing" in something like a gopro or a insta360. Less than $50.

https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Touch-Underwater-Waterproof-Accessories/dp/B07B2W96JH/

They even get below $30.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YXM1Y6R/

They actually work ok. For sound, I have the wired mic stuck into my bose headset earpiece. Very low tech, so I record exactly what I hear in the headset.

I have them wired into my front and rear USB ports, which are powered with the master. They are in "dashcam" mode, so they start recording when they get power. They record on a loop onto the sd cards. If something interesting happens, I yank the card and upload to youtube. Otherwise, just let them overwrite. The mounts are the same as a gopro.

Back