What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv14 Canopy gas struts

infltc2s

Can anyone help with a replacement source/part number for the canopy struts on my RV14. The OEM ones aren’t doing the job very well. I’ve searched the posts and can only find info the 6/7 etc.
Y4292o

Last edited:
Mine are weak too

My struts aren?t doing the job either and my plane has been sitting for almost a year while waiting for a replacement engine. Let us know what you decide to use.

More..

The mfg. & part numbers are usually printed on the side; SPRING 0001 isn't going to cut it :)

If not, remove one and take measurements of the cylinder, the rod extended, compressed, what kind of ends are installed (composite, metal, etc.), diameter of cylinder, diameter of rod, and measure the compression force required (scale, push down on the end...)

The Orr & Orr site is comprehensive enough to find what you have, and what you need.

Cheers..

We had to replace one of ours and I know a few other 14 owners that have had to do the same.

No issues since we replaced the failed one in over 150 hours of flying.

(But I wouldn't keep the airplane hangered with the canopy open unattended for long periods of time)

I have taken the opposite approach, keeping the canopy open whenever in the hangar. This is the ?relaxed? state for the struts, and feel this preserves their life. Mine are almost 3 years old (flying) and I am just now noticing some weakening. I plan to replace them in the near future.

I have taken the opposite approach, keeping the canopy open whenever in the hangar. This is the “relaxed” state for the struts, and feel this preserves their life. Mine are almost 3 years old (flying) and I am just now noticing some weakening. I plan to replace them in the near future.

Hopefully you'll get luck and they wont ever fail. However, the are just gas springs so if they develop a leak (which could just be from a temperature change) you risk that canopy slamming down and damaging something. I would advise against leaving it open unless you have something there to catch it if it fails.

They are never "relaxed", there is pressure in the spring even with them fully or partially sprung. Leaving the canopy open won't guarantee they won't fail.

Last edited:
We had to replace one of ours and I know a few other 14 owners that have had to do the same.

No issues since we replaced the failed one in over 150 hours of flying.

(But I wouldn't keep the airplane hangered with the canopy open unattended for long periods of time)

How hard is it to change them out? I have a idea but just wondering. Does it make sense to have a spare or spares on hand?

How hard is it to change them out? I have a idea but just wondering. Does it make sense to have a spare or spares on hand?

It depends on what you may have in the way but we were able to swap them in about 20 mins. One of those things that we spent more time contemplating than it took to actually do the work.

They aren't a show stopper from flying so not sure if spares would be helpful or warranted but that's just me.

Depends who is swapping them out...

Bill Kervaski’s helper can easily get up under there and work with both hands. With my broad shoulders i can only bring one hand to bear. I found replacing them to be just on the dark side of impossible. Spent waaaay too long trying. Finally recruited someone narrow enough to work in there with both hands and it was reasonably quick. Get your wife, daughter, girlfriend to help; it will go much better.

RV-14 gas springs

I have been told that the RV-14 and 14A kits originally included gas springs rated at 300N, but that some time ago, when those were found to be not quite adequate for the taildraggers, Spring-00001 was upgraded to 350N. So any replacements ordered now should be rated 50N higher than the older springs. My kit was #140329, a quick build that included the older 300N rated gas springs. The replacement springs I got from Vans are doing the job so far on my tail dragger; and are the 350N rated springs.

You may not need to find an alternative gas spring. I don?t know exactly when the change to 350N springs occurred.

My struts are starting to poop out after 175 hours. Do you guys mind sharing where you bought your replacement struts and the model number?

Ok, I spoke to Stirling today at Vans and yes the new ones are 350 newton. Having kit #320 I got 300’s with my finish kit so I ordered a pair of new ones. $26 each. I would recommend anyone with an older kit check your struts and replace them if it’s convenient during your build. The rating is printed on the side of the strut.

McMaster carr sells them with a spring loaded locking pin which will keep it open and from slamming shut in a gust of wind. I use one on the pilot side only, normal strut on the right.

Back