What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Utah

Bryce Canyon

110192237-L.jpg

112599281-L.jpg

112599288-L.jpg

Lake Powell / Page

Page has a great airport and a free shuttle to the Wahweap marina. Plenty of restaurants and hotels as well.
112599328-L-1.jpg
112599369-L.jpg

112599394-L-1.jpg

112599404-L-1.jpg

More Monument Valley Pics

Here are some pics of Monument Valley. I landed at Halls Crossing airport (Cal Black). Here Morrey helped us get gas. He said he is at the airport 53 weeks a year, 25 hours a day. This is a great stop for fuel if you ever need it and it is after hours or on a holiday.

113283096-L.jpg

113283191-L.jpg

113283262-L-1.jpg

113283279-L.jpg

113283250-L.jpg

Here is a picture of Morrey helping me fuel. I also purchased a DVD of Tim Martin's who fly's through a bunch of arches in Southern Utah.
Pretty entertaining.
113283311-L.jpg

Arch1.jpg

http://www.swaviator.com/html/issueSO02/Arch91002.html

MARS (AKA Ibex Hard Pan)

North 38 Deg 58 Minutes
West 113 Deg 22 Minutes

This is a dry lake bed that offers miles of landing surface. West of Fillmore UT and south a few miles off Highway 50. Usually when I've visited here in the past, we were the only humans for miles, however now, there's a few folks around and soon there will be Martians! As a reader of Tarzan in my youth, I couldn't help but be excited about the filming of another Burroughs' story.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carter_of_Mars_(film))

I stopped for a few minutes on the 4th and fortuitously joined a Utah BC flyin on the 7th. The film crew had politely asked if we could keep the wheel prints on the West side of the lake bed, so they didn't show up on the Mars shots:) We camped on the SW side of the large "rock island" and seemed to be out of their way.

Just as the John Carter Crew was surprised by an airplane Tuesday, I was surprised to see all the vehicles and activity. Now that the John Carter crew has seen a Utah Backcountry flyin over the weekend, I suspect they will soon get a radio so they can coordinate with visiting airplanes.

The lake bed can be unusable after rain and some areas are smoother than others, a consideration for small tired rv's.

More info on the Ibex Hard Pan www.utahbackcountrypilots.org
Google maps also has some detail and photos under the location- Tule Valley Rd, Garrison-Sevier Lake, UT

KBDG

Blanding Municipal. After snaking your way through monuments and canyons land at KBDG. Don't pay attention on worn seat and check engine light on crew car. It's moving and will bring you to Dinosaurus Museum.

UT.jpg

UT1.jpg

UT2.jpg

UT3.jpg

UT5.jpg

UT4.jpg

Hite UT03

When it's not hot and windy fly to Hite UT03. The airport is located within a National Park. Great runway, pretty surroundings.

Right downwind RWY 9.

Freshly paved and painted runway.

There is a nice picnic area on the east side and a trail to the bridge.

Airplane parking is limited. I would guess up to 6 aircrafts plus one up on the rocks near picnic table.

Greg please post your flyin video here.

Very nice. I am always staggered when I think of eons it took to erode all of that. Where did it all go?

Southern Utah is one our families favorite places. From Grand Junction through Moab where Canyonlands is will become a place you will visit again. Zions Park and Escalante are amazing. They are like Yellowstone - places you will never forget.

Flying over them would be great, but hiking or ATV is where you will really experience how special the area is.

Awesome video! Nice short-field landing, too. Is the runway really bent like it appears in the video?

Yes, mostly at the east end. Visible on Google Earth. I understand they had to curve it to miss the road right-of-way. Pretty good uphill grade to the east, so easy to land short. Would not want to land to the west because of the grade.

Marble Canyon L41

Pretty place. Stunning views approaching the airport. Glen Dam to the right if you are coming from the Northeast. Monitor Page Unicom traffic sometimes is dense there.

Marble_Canyon_L41_1.jpeg

Marble_Canyon_L41_1_(1).jpeg

Left downwind rwy 3.

Marble_Canyon_L41_1_(2).jpeg

Final rwy 3.

Marble_Canyon_L41_1_(3).jpeg

Funny looking centerline. It shows you where the bumps are. There are some due to extreme heat.

Marble_Canyon_L41_1_(4).jpeg

Parking fee is $5 and is payed at the trading post cash only.

Marble_Canyon_L41_1_(6).jpeg

A quick walk to Navajo Bridge.

Marble_Canyon_L41_1_(8).jpeg

Watch out for bridge air defense patrol.

Marble_Canyon_L41_1_(10).jpeg

Marble_Canyon_L41_1_(9).jpeg

Thanks for posting those photos!

I spent 16 days floating down that river to the end of October in 2019. 150 years after John Wesley Powell did the first run. The put in point is just upstream from the Navajo Bridges at Lees Ferry. It is really neat to see it from the air.

On the water we packed tons of food and camping gear. The extreme opposite of an RV camping trip.

Did you fly the canyon downstream?

The Bridge air defence members were present when I was there but I don't recall the R5 Registration on the underwings.

Last edited:
We have borrowed the courtesy van at Page (Classic Aviation) several times to go into town for lunch/breakfast.

Back