What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming IO-360-B1B

RV7

Sponsor
I am building a RV-7 and have an opportunity to purchase a Lycoming IO-360-B1B. Has anyone installed this engine in a 7? I am looking for any installation issues that I might encounter if I choose this engine.

I don't have any experience with this engine but looking at the Van's engine page, it's one of the supported engines for the -7.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with install particulars...

Just like an o-360-a1a but with bendix/precision fuel injection and retard breaker mags.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

I bought a B1B and installed it. 75hrs SMOH/1200 hrs TT and paid 11,000. Had to change out the sump. I was wanting cold air horizontal induction any way. I think the cost was around 1400. Could not use the old Hartzell governor and also replaced the old boat anchor Prestolite starter. All this made my SWEET deal not as sweet as I thought but I'm still happy!...... By the way, I have a Hartzell Governor and a Prestolite starter for sale with 75 hrs since rebuild and a rear induction IO 360 sump if anyones looking for one!

Thank you all for the quick replies. I know the prop governor and starter can’t be used, and maybe a few other accessories. But $4k for an engine with 2200 TT & 250 hrs SMOH is really hard to beat.

IO 360 B1B

Back in 2017 I bought a partially built RV-7A kit that had the finish kit for a vertical induction IO360 B1B engine. I gave a lot of consideration to changing the cowling to suit a horizontal induction engine but in the end went ahead with the original plan for vertical induction. I went with a new Aerosport Power IO360B1B, dual P mags, CS Hartzell , MT prop governor and lightweight starter. I significantly modified the airbox and the snorkel for the air inlet to make it easier to install the lower cowling single handed, solve all the air-box cracking and loose bolt problems and minimize the air leaks from the ram air inlet into the lower cowling (to improve cooling airflow).
The significant other areas to consider are the control cable lengths, position for firewall penetrations that are more optimum for that engine. Routing of fuel, oil lines and heater air hoses. Otherwise the engine installation was pretty straightforward.

KT

If I had the opportunity to get one cheap, I'd do it and then put a Superior cold air on it, effectively making it an M1B. Food for thought?

For that price none of the accessories matter! Change anything that might make the installation difficult, I would do what what Stephen suggests, but I prefer horizontal induction. That price is about core value so snap it up!!

don't buy it

Thank you all for the quick replies. I know the prop governor and starter can’t be used, and maybe a few other accessories. But $4k for an engine with 2200 TT & 250 hrs SMOH is really hard to beat.
You should not buy this engine - clearly not the right thing for you. In fact, please PM me the seller's contacts so I can chastise them for trying to take advantage of you! :D

Back