What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aveo Ziptip Install Question

Scotty G

Well Known Member
Hi, gang,

Fitting my Aveo Ziptips to my RV-8, and I have a question.

The interior box that holds the light assemblies is half bonded to the interior of the top. The other half is not.

Why?

And what did you do here? Bond it together and then fit/install? Or are they designed to be half bonded and half not?

Sorry if this is a basic question, but I’m not a builder, and Damien has gone no-comms. Thanks in advance.

just installing mine now.

I think they are partially bonded so that the tip can conform to the wing skin/rib. I found if I cleco'd to the tip skin and the box flange, it deformed the tip and gave a poor fit. I oversized the box flange hole so I am only cleco'ing to the tip skin. Fit much better. I'll have to fill the tip skin/box gap after getting everything finalized.

I also found the tip flange "step" to be way too deep (0.040-0.060 for an 0.025 skin), resulting in the tip surface sitting quite proud of the wing skin. I added three to four layers of 8.5 oz glass strips to the step so the tip skin and wing skin are more even.

Mike,

Ok, thanks for the backup. That’s what I think I see as well.

I mocked up space between the box and the skin with some wood shims. It could use some more, but it is already super tight in there. I may add some glass layers on the flange mounting surface as well.

I appreciate the input, and welcome anyone else’s.

Back