What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder TE Rivet Set

md9680

Well Known Member
Friend
In Section 5.8, reference is made to a "flat faced narrow diameter rivet set".

The closest thing I have is a back rivet set but this can't be used because of the spring sleeve. I DO have a C-Frame dimpler, but the ram is deformed from use and won't fit in the rivet gun anymore.

Back about 10+ years ago, I used a mushroom set, but wasn't completely successful avoiding a "smile" or two.

From builder sites, it appears that most people are using mushroom sets, but I'd like to use the type of set Van's recommends.

If you've used a "flat faced narrow diameter rivet set", please let me know your source for it.

Thank you.

Why can't you remove the spring pin , then remove the plastic and spring and use what you have. You can re-install after finished.

Why can't you remove the spring pin , then remove the plastic and spring and use what you have. You can re-install after finished.

I tried using a punch and hammer to drift out the pin holding the nylon casing and spring. Would not budge. Didn't want to damage it. Guess I could try it on the much longer back rivet set I have for the C-Frame, but I think it would be too long to use and control apart from the C-Frame.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Mike D.

modify standard set

If you've used a "flat faced narrow diameter rivet set", please let me know your source for it.

Thank you.

If you can't find one to buy then I am sure it is possible to make one by taking a standard straight set and cutting off the tip and grinding/polishing it flat using a drill press.

If you can't find one to buy then I am sure it is possible to make one by taking a standard straight set and cutting off the tip and grinding/polishing it flat using a drill press.

I think I'll just cut the sleeve off my existing (and old) short back rivet set and order a new replacement. That will let me do the TE riveting now and I'll have the new set on hand for the elevators.

One thing I'm learning is that there's more than one way to approach these problems -- and always more tools to buy!! :D

Thank you for the responses. VAF is great.

Last edited:
You should go through the Cleveland RV-14 kit and see what you might be lacking. I used the rudder flat squeezer set from that kit to set my trailing edge rivets, and it made that job way less stressful.

You should go through the Cleveland RV-14 kit and see what you might be lacking. I used the rudder flat squeezer set from that kit to set my trailing edge rivets, and it made that job way less stressful.

Yeah, I almost exclusively get my tools from Cleaveland and had everything left over from my abandoned RV-9A construction, like the Main Squeeze, C-Frame, dimple and rivet sets, etc. I did, though, go through the RV-14 kit and picked up several things specifically needed for the -14, like odd-sized drill bits and special bucking bars.

I saw that flat squeezer set, too, and I'm glad you were happy with it, but I just couldn't see myself actually using it. I've done the RV-9 rudder and elevator TEs using a gun. So, I'm fairly comfortable with the gun. It's just that for the -14, I'm wanting to use the narrow set called for in Section 5 instead of my rounded mushroom.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Back