What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air compressor recommendation?

2bolts

Well Known Member
Could anyone recommend an air compressor they were happy with during their build?

I'm hopefully going to be a bit lazy and use QB fuselarge and wings for my kit (when I get it), not made my mind on what yet 7, 8, or 9. It would get my wife and I flying faster too:)

I'd use it for the build and maybe spraying afterward.

Many Thanks

The oil-less ones are the cheapest. They are also the loudest. I will never buy another.
Anything with a high air usage, I would go ahead and put in the ear-plugs before I started.

Home Depot / Husky

I like the Husky 30 gallon compressor from Home Depot.
As mentioned the oil-less compressors are loud ( had the 26 gal oil-less one. It worked great, but woke the dead).

Check your local Craigslist. I picked up a big (100+ gal) old two stage compressor from a garage going out of business. It can runn 100psi all day long and is quiet. The hardest part was getting it home. I added a few new fittings and plumbed the shop with PEX.

My recommendation is a 2-stage, 60 or 80 gallon tank, around 5 hp.
Hp isn't important, but a "true" 5 hp compressor will yield around 18 cfm.

I had an oil free, but much too loud for long term work, so I bought a Ingersoll Rand 30 Gallon Single Stage Electric Garage Mate Air Compressor. It's the horizontal style, but it's oiled and runs off 110V. Very well built. Been using it for six months now and very pleased with it.

What Mel said

He beat me to it, but Mel is right on the money.

Buy a 60 to 80 gal unit if you can,

Get 220v if you can.

Dont waste your time and $$$ on one of the small oilless units.

2 recommendations

I love my little Makita MAC700 for use inside my basement workshop. It's very quiet, and easily runs air drills and rivet guns. It's all I needed for the airframe construction on my project.

For running a DA sander, I used a Morgan Series 30 gallon reconditioned unit from Northern Tool. It's pretty cheap, pretty quiet, and has stood up to a lot of abuse. It's also just small enough to load into your truck to take to the airport when your project gets to that point. It's also an honest 155psi. I haven't found another single stage compressor that produces so much pressure.

Two other considerations:

1) look at your hangar's electrical capacity. Big compressors are awesome, but many hangars only have 110v, 20a service.

2) I love old compressors, but have learned that the tanks don't last forever. Eventually, tanks can rust from the inside out, resulting in pinholes appearing in the bottom of the tank. It's a hard condition to detect.

M

Last edited:
Eaton Compressors

Roger -

I have a Kolbalt branded (made by ABC American / American Champion) "5-Hp" 60-gal vertical unit at home. As Mel implied, that "5-Hp" label is NOT the run power - if the motor is making name-plate power, the smoke is about to come out of it. It works, and was cheap, but it's louder and slower than I would like. It can handle most of the jobs I do at home, but won't keep up with serious grinding or air-sanding. I'm not sure it would keep up with a large painting task.

Eaton Compressors is ths best value I've found in compressors.
http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/504747.htm

Not cheap, but built to last. We've had no service problems, but I had some technical questions and the staff was helpful, forthcomming and pleasant. Excellent customer service.

Eaton runs their machines at about half the speed of most of what you'll find on the shelf at the big-box stores. The lower speed makes a huge difference in the percieved noise level.

We have a 7.5-Hp, 3-cylinder, 120-gallon unit at the hangar, and love it.

Another builder friend has their 5-Hp 60-gallon horizontal model - couldn't be happier.

The 30-gallon Home Depot Husky oiled compressor has been working well for me too. From what I've read on this site though, it may not have the cfm's for paint spraying. Possibly with another tank plumbed in.

The compressor is pretty quiet compared to my little 2-gallon oil-less compressor. My workshop is my attached garage so I put the compressor in the basement against the shared wall. I put a hole through the wall and ran the air line through. That makes for an even quieter workspace.

Cheers,

2) I love old compressors, but have learned that the tanks don't last forever. Eventually, tanks can rust from the inside out, resulting in pinholes appearing in the bottom of the tank. It's a hard condition to detect.

M

That's why you need to drain the tank daily.

I prefer an Ingersol Rand 5 HP on a vertical 80 Gallon tank.
Completely reliable, not too loud and doesn't take up too much floor space.
Check craigslist, usually there is something good available at reasonable cost.
I'm thinking the old sears piston compressor series is a good value for small work out at the hangar, but we're talking about the big compressor at home here?
On the other side: My son has a 150 PSI porter cable pancake compressor, which has outperformed my expectations. It has 2 outlets and a step down regulator built in. (that makes riveting much better) http://www.portercable.com/products/productdetail.aspx?productid=17019
For an oiless compressor, it's not bad, and a value that's hard to beat. Plus, you can lug it around and throw it in your car. If you are on a budget, it might do the whole job?

Last edited:
Definitely oiled if it's going to be in the garage with you. Oil free compressors are much too loud. The one below has worked fine for 95% of what I've needed. It's belt driven, oil fed, 5.5cfm @90psi, 115v and 20 gallons. $160 on craigslist. That's about the biggest i can run off 115v. Any bigger and I'd need 220v.

Snapshot_20090730.jpg

When I need more air, I put my larger (about 9cfm) oil free compressor ($80 on craigslist!) in the back yard (on a different electrical circuit) and run an air line to the garage that I can plumb into my air system. Works great and with the two compressors together, there's plenty of air for anything I need.

IMG_1256.JPG

Automatic Drains

That's why you need to drain the tank daily.

There are several types of automatic drains available. Eaton offers a contraption that is activated by the blow-down mechanism each time the pump shuts down (Harbor Freight offers a similar device, but I couldn't get it to work).

I fit all my compressors with solenoid/timer kits wired to the main control switch - if there's power to the compressor, the purge valve is powered. The lowest setting on the timers that I have is a 45-minute interval and 0.5-second opening. This has proven to be sufficient to keep the water out of the tank. I never have to remember to drain the tank, don't have to crawl around amongst the spiders to do it, and the tank doesn't collect water during the work session.

I have a 30 gal 2 hp oiled compressor that is adequate. I would get a larger one if I had space for to mount it permanently. Sometimes, like today when I am doing a lot of deburring with a die grinder, I have to wait for the compressor to catch up. The larger compressors need to be bolted to the floor, but I can wheel my 30 gal to a more convenient location when I need to.

Thanks for all the info

Thank you all for the info and advice, it was a lot more than I expected.

I'll be doing some research now on your recommendations.

I'm about to start and an RV 8 empennage kit. Yay! I purchased a 20 gallon compressor for economy, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should exchange it for a 30 gallon. That would be the largest that I could afford. The difference is around $150. What's the general opinion on whether that would be worth the added expense?

Welcome to VAF

Paul, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

You can probably get by with the 20 gal, but in your place I would go for the bigger unit.

Some items use a lot of air------the worst I have is a right angle die grinder.

I have a 60 gal tank, 175 psig, and it will not keep up with the die grinder.

For most other tools, your setup should be fine. Old style paint sprayer is another air hog.

While everyone likes tools, and a big 2 stage compressor is nice. I'm here to tell you I built 90% of my plane with a...<struggling into flame suit>...20 gallon harbor freight compressor. The hangar I moved into had a big 2 stage, but I could have completed the rest easy with my HF one. I think I bought it on sale for $99, although it was 12 years or so ago now. It was loud so I built a box to cover it in the corner of my garage; after the box I could still hear the radio or have a conversation with it running.

Anyway, if you have the budget and desire for some of these awesome big compressors go for it, but don't think it's a necessity to build. The one exception would be if I was planning on painting then you definitely want a big one, and might as well get it at the start of the build if you're sure you're gonna need it at the end.

MUST BE 1800 RPM

Could anyone recommend an air compressor they were happy with during their build?

I'm hopefully going to be a bit lazy and use QB fuselarge and wings for my kit (when I get it), not made my mind on what yet 7, 8, or 9. It would get my wife and I flying faster too:)

I'd use it for the build and maybe spraying afterward.

Many Thanks

***ONLY*** One that is 1800 RPM(or less) and ***TWO STAGE*** unless you want to listen to something winding out all the time at 3600 RPM.

I have an Ingersoll T30 that I run around 1600RPM. It thumps along like my old Lister 12/2. A IR, Kellogg or something similar will be fine.

If you are painting, get a Motor Guard M-C100 Activated Carbon Air Filter. Otherwise the slightest hint of oil in the air will drive you crazy.

CFM

I'm about to start and an RV 8 empennage kit. Yay! I purchased a 20 gallon compressor for economy, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should exchange it for a 30 gallon. That would be the largest that I could afford. The difference is around $150. What's the general opinion on whether that would be worth the added expense?

Air hog tools mentioned need CFM. Tank size is less of a factor although it does give a bit more run time. Check the CFM requirements for the tools you plan and buy accordingly.
Personally, I prefer cordless tools instead of air hogs like die grinder or cut off tools. My HVLP is the only air hog in my tool box. I have an old Craftsman 20 gallon but it has a 5hp motor and high cfm capable of running my paint gun.
220, two stage with a big motor is nice.

You'll be fine. I've built one whole airplane and 99% of a second one using a compressor with a 20 gallon tank. That's also the compressor I used to paint the first airplane using conventional spray gear which needs a lot of air.

Are there times a bigger compressor/tank would be helpful? Sure, but it isn't necessary.

Thank you all for the quick replies! The 20 gal I have is 4cfm at 90psi so I'll see how it does with the empennage kit. I can always upgrade later if I need to. I do have an electric angle grinder, so there is that!

What tools are you using? If you are just riveting you will be fine. Using a drill? You’ll be annoyed and have to wait. Spraying primer? It will work but you’ll out run it constantly. Spraying paint? Not a chance.

For reference I have a small 4 gallon that I use for riveting and final drilling 90% of the time. I also have an 80 gal 14 cfm that I use for the other 10% (drilling the longerons, paint/primer, and die grinder.

Tank size doesn’t matter much other than prolonging how long until the pump kicks on once it’s filled. It’s the cfm at 90 psi that you need to match to the tool and the duty cycle you’ll be using it.

bigger is better

My hanger is set up with an 80 gallon outside in a small enclosure and the most important part is the extra (only $100.00 off Craigslist) 120 gallon used tank inside the hanger
Hey baby we're talking volume here. I stop and the pressure keeps building Tons of spare air
My choice, But you never have enough dry air when spraying anything.
Heck I even have a dryer setup for really drying the air when spraying paint.
Every bodies mileage may vary, but I worked industrial for a spell. Dry air is good
Art

My hanger is set up with an 80 gallon outside in a small enclosure and the most important part is the extra (only $100.00 off Craigslist) 120 gallon used tank inside the hanger
Hey baby we're talking volume here. I stop and the pressure keeps building Tons of spare air
My choice, But you never have enough dry air when spraying anything.
Heck I even have a dryer setup for really drying the air when spraying paint.
Every bodies mileage may vary, but I worked industrial for a spell. Dry air is good
Art

This post is not just a Tim-the-Tool-Man arg arg arg thing. The larger receiver means larger surface area, and longer times between compressor cycles. Both mean better cooling and less likelihood that moisture will reach the exit. Decades of using a 30 gal for a blast cabinet, inline air sander and other hogs taught me the lesson of volume. My T30 has served faithfully for 25 yrs now.

Back