What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Dual Comms

Aero_Octaveus

Well Known Member
Does the Dynon Skyview system support dual Comms? For example could I connect two SV-COM-X25 radios and set them up as COM1 and COM2.

Or would I be better off with a separate Audio panel like a Garmin GMA-245 and then use two Garmin GMR-225 radios?

(I am a total newbie when it comes to avionics and avionic capabilities)

The PS Engineering PDA 360 EX remote ICS/audio panel is working well for me. All audio panel functions are controlled via the touch screen.

Last edited:
One of the advantages of using a Skyview radio with a Skyview system is that the EFIS integrates with the radio; you can load frequencies and otherwise control the radio from the EFIS, for example by viewing an airport on the map and loading a frequency for it to the radio's standby. This video provides a good overview of the integration.

However, to my knowledge, the EFIS will only ever integrate with a single SV radio this way. That is, I don't think you can go on the EFIS and use the integrated controls while selecting between COM1 and COM2. Pretty sure the EFIS will only ever know that a radio is connected. With that in mind, while you can use a second SV radio for COM2, it'll be really no better than any other radio.

The other question to consider is switching between the two radios. Most of the GA aircraft we fly have an audio panel to switch between the two radios, and this panel controls two functions. The first is what radio you're listening to, the second is what radio you're transmitting on. If you use a full-up audio panel in your build, you'll get this same functionality.

Another option here is to use the Dynon Skyview intercom. This is not a full-up audio panel, and thus does not have the same feature set - specifically, there's no provision for switching between radios at all. To use two radios with the SV intercom, you'll connect the audio outputs for both radios to inputs on the intercom, and to decide which one you want to hear, you'll simply use the volume controls on each radio. Don't want to hear COM2? Turn it down all the way.

This gets us one half of the audio-panel functionality; the other half is picking which radio you're transmitting on. With the Skyview intercom, you'll have to install a separate switch to pick which radio you're transmitting on.

For my plane, I'm only planning on having a single radio. The SV radio allows monitoring two frequencies at once, which takes care of my primary use case for two radios. For the other one - an in-flight failure - I intend to carry a handheld as a backup, probably with a connection to a mounted antenna. (vs the rubber ducky) If I do decide to add a second built-in radio, I'll probably stick with the Dynon intercom, since the second radio will primarily be a backup.

Last edited:
Dual SkyView radios

Yes, you can use two Dynon radios with either the Dynon Intercom, or another third party audio panel.

If you use the Dynon Intercom panel, you just need to put a double pole, single throw switch, to select which radio will key, when you press the PTT. That is in the Intercom Installation manual. Both radio audio output goes into the intercom so you can monitor both radios at the same time. The normal way you turn ON/OFF the Comm audio, you will have to use the individual volume control on each radio head. If you want, you can put a single pole, single throw switch inline with the audio output of each radio to the intercom panel for a simple audio ON/OFF.

Using an audio panel, it will work like any audio panel with two radios.

The below will work with either the Dynon Intercom, or any other audio panel.

Now, in regard to display and control the Comm frequency on the top right, you can change which radio is displayed by going into the setup. Go to SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SETUP > DISPLAYED COM and select which COM radio status to display on the Top Bar (or NONE).

Displayed COM (Top Bar) The status of only one COM radio at a time, can be displayed on the top bar. The radio that is selected here is also the radio that you can send airports and frequencies to via SkyView's Map Menu APT>COM and TUNE COM buttons. See the SkyView Pilot's User Guide for additional details.

Hope this helps. If you need any more help, you can email at [email protected] and I will help answer any questions about the SkyView system and install.

Brian

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. I think an audio panel with dual SV-COM-X25 radios is what would work best for me. I'll start digging into that method. Thanks Brian.

One of the advantages of using a Skyview radio with a Skyview system is that the EFIS integrates with the radio; you can load frequencies and otherwise control the radio from the EFIS, for example by viewing an airport on the map and loading a frequency for it to the radio's standby. This video provides a good overview of the integration.

However, to my knowledge, the EFIS will only ever integrate with a single SV radio this way. That is, I don't think you can go on the EFIS and use the integrated controls while selecting between COM1 and COM2. Pretty sure the EFIS will only ever know that a radio is connected. With that in mind, while you can use a second SV radio for COM2, it'll be really no better than any other radio.

The other question to consider is switching between the two radios. Most of the GA aircraft we fly have an audio panel to switch between the two radios, and this panel controls two functions. The first is what radio you're listening to, the second is what radio you're transmitting on. If you use a full-up audio panel in your build, you'll get this same functionality.

Another option here is to use the Dynon Skyview intercom. This is not a full-up audio panel, and thus does not have the same feature set - specifically, there's no provision for switching between radios at all. To use two radios with the SV intercom, you'll connect the audio outputs for both radios to inputs on the intercom, and to decide which one you want to hear, you'll simply use the volume controls on each radio. Don't want to hear COM2? Turn it down all the way.

This gets us one half of the audio-panel functionality; the other half is picking which radio you're transmitting on. With the Skyview intercom, you'll have to install a separate switch to pick which radio you're transmitting on.

For my plane, I'm only planning on having a single radio. The SV radio allows monitoring two frequencies at once, which takes care of my primary use case for two radios. For the other one - an in-flight failure - I intend to carry a handheld as a backup, probably with a connection to a mounted antenna. (vs the rubber ducky) If I do decide to add a second built-in radio, I'll probably stick with the Dynon intercom, since the second radio will primarily be a backup.

I went with this exact setup in my panel upgrade. I can’t say enough good about the integration of the dyno radio with the HDX. I rarely ever need to look up a freq. in fact can’t remember the last time I did. I went with the Sporties PJ2 radio as a handheld because of its utter simplicity and ability to switch headset over in seconds.

Last edited:
Back