What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seeking reviews on SDS induction flanges

Captain Avgas

Well Known Member
The Experimental SDS induction flanges have been on the market for a couple of years now. Can any of the early adopters provide some feedback on their experience with this product...good or bad.

I see that SDS sells this product with silicon o-rings and silicon hoses for fuel injected engines....and with viton o-rings and nitrile rubber hoses for carbed engines. Apparently the rationale is that the silicon doesn't like avgas too much. But fuel injected engines can have avgas in the induction tubes too...from engine priming. So why bother with the silicon components at all...is there any advantage at all to the silicon or is it just to cut costs. Maybe Ross could answer that.

Upgrade

After I installed the product, my #2 cylinder went from being the hottest to the coldest.
I obviously had an induction leak. Recommend the product. SDS makes nice products with great machining.

As I installed/proofed the prototype kit, I'm by default the leader in installed calendar time. I have no issues that Im aware of. I had one tube off a few months ago and the flange O ring (silicone) was perfect. The same one went back in.

I think Ross is 100% viton now, but you could sure ask for it anyway if you like. The O rings may be life limited someday, but they are by far the least expensive parts of the kit and super easy to change if ever needed. The kit is essentially an "install and forget" deal.

Just got finished returning my 9 to service after installing a new B&C Alternator and a set of SDS flanges, hoses and O-rings. Took about an hour to replace and re-install. It is smoother and I am convinced it’s a better system. Good outfit to deal with.

We only supply silicone O-rings and hoses for EFI applications where there is really no fuel present in the induction tubes. We found with the mechanical injection, fuel still seeps down there after shutdown and could swell the silicone O-ring, making re-installation difficult if they were removed.

All carbed engines get Viton/ Nitrile bits.

95% of what we supply now are with Viton O-rings with Nitrile hoses.

Mike Robinson came up with this design so this wasn't my brainchild. Thanks again Mike, it was a great idea. :)

One engine building shop is now using these on every engine that goes out. We've sold many hundreds to date. Only one set returned so far, where the buyer didn't think the design was safe and never installed them. Experience has shown them to be totally safe.

We normally stock clear, gold and red. Can do black and Navy blue if you're not in a rush.

I have Ross' induction flange kit on my angle-valve engine. Installation required cutting and re-welding the induction tubes. Clint at Vetterman exhaust did that work for a very reasonable price.

It has been a bit over a year. No troubles or issues, engine humming along smoothly.

RV-9A/ O-320

I installed Ross' no-leak induction on my RV-9A/ O-320 at this year's condition inspection. I also replaced the oil return lines with new line and constant tension spring clamps. Both are relatively simple, especially Ross' kit.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat and will on my RV-10/ IO-540 when the time comes.

Back