What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimple die specs

sblack

Well Known Member
I have 2 or 3 holes that need to be dimpled right near an edge. I need to grind down the edge of my female #6 screw dimple due. I don't feel like destroying it for just those few holes. I have a lathe and I could make a female die that would be good enough if I knew the correct dimensions. I expect they are not exactly 100deg because of spring back and there are likely other subtleties that I don't know about. Google did not turn up anything. Anybody have any info?

Flat side

I have 2 or 3 holes that need to be dimpled right near an edge. I need to grind down the edge of my female #6 screw dimple due. I don't feel like destroying it for just those few holes. I have a lathe and I could make a female die that would be good enough if I knew the correct dimensions. I expect they are not exactly 100deg because of spring back and there are likely other subtleties that I don't know about. Google did not turn up anything. Anybody have any info?

Every one of my female dies has a flat side. Grind away. Just dont grind into the dimple face of the die. Or buy a set of close quarters dies.

Countersink cutter

For occasional use, I've made some female dies using a 100 degree countersink cutter. I don''t have a lathe. The die piece was made out of some mild steel flat bar and can be used with a squeezer by holding it in alignment while dimpling. It worked well enough for me.

Die Specs

I just happened across this following another thread...

As others mentioned you can grind a side or countersink a piece. Grinding the side on the female won't affect the springback much.

If you countersink with your 100deg countersink to 0.317" across the top, then use emery cloth to just barely break the sharp edge, you will be very close. (you are right it's not quite 100deg ).

Back