What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7 Build Video's

As I get closer to military retirement and choosing my kit to build, one thing that has made me pause is whether I could do this or not. Would I be able to follow and understand the plans and instructions if the detail is not there and decipher what they want me to do. I'm a very visual person and need to see it and hear it v/s reading it. I wish the 7's instructions were updated to be more like the 14's instructions. Anyways, the 7 has been my choice from the start and still is. I have read so many build logs of everyone here and have been searching on and off for years for good videos of someone documenting their build in hopes that I would have some sort of visual guideline to follow. Then about a week ago, I found Mike, aka (Karetaker), videos on YouTube. He is doing some amazing clean work and is awesome about explaining what is going on and what they are wanting you to accomplish. If you are on the fence about building because of fear of not understanding, I think once you watch his videos, you will start to feel more confident in giving it a go. Mike is a member on here, but I wanted to let everyone know about his great video series in hopes that it will help someone else like me or someone that may be currently struggling with their build.

Keith

Howdy everyone. Thanks Keith! Wow, a nice recommendation for sure. I hope others fine my videos useful as you have. Thanks for the kind words; much obliged!

I am as close as an email away, so feel free to contact me anytime.

where is he at

So a great series of videos. but where is he at on the build? Just curious if he has caught up to my status.

Now that I am caught up, the videos are posted almost real time. The Video posted today, (8/4/2020) will be about riveting the wing bottom skins. The footage is from last week.

This is my MIL retirement project too!

1. EAA has great hands-on classes for sheet metal, fiberglass, etc once this pandemic is over.

2. There are dozens of guys’ build logs on the internet which well detailed and great references.

I’m a pilot not a mechanic and so far it has been doable.

Last edited:
I wish there were good fiberglass videos online. Basic stuff like how to lay down a ply, and how to use micro and filler. A picture is worth 1000 words and a video 10,000. I haven’t started the glass work on my project yet because I have no idea even where to start. Was planning to do a EAA fiberglass workshop but COVID-19 has shut them down as far as I can tell. The Rutan book is a little helpful but I think the RV community would really benefit from a few videos of experienced builders doing fiberglass properly.

I have not done any fiberglass work either. There must be alternatives but I have not looked into yet. When the time comes, I'll document whatever it is I end up doing.

How To

I don't record video. Too busy. However, I did attempt to write up what I've learned along the way. I tried to pull Dan's tips into a document but he has far too much knowledge. Look at my blog "Pages" links. Fiberglass, Paint, Cut & Buff.
Fiberglass is pretty easy. Paint is the bear.

I liked Andrew Atallia on YouTube. .I wish he would put out more videos, but it's been a while since he posted any of his RV-7 empenage

Back