What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition Training Syllabus

Version 2.7 Avialable

Version 2.7 Summary of Changes

Overall, this version primarily continues to tweak Vne discussion. If you’ve looked at the previous couple of editions, you can see how this has evolved over the past couple of months. I hope there is now zero.zero ambiguity regarding this very small end of the airspeed band as it applies to RV-types for the purpose of familiarization and training: only exceed Vno with caution, treat Vne as TAS at all altitudes, and do not exceed Vne under any circumstances. There are some other minor changes for readability and a few hyperlinks have been added or corrected.

Special shout-out to Kevin Horton and my buddy Dave Evans for (patiently) helping properly edit the discussion and keeping me coloring inside the lines.

Version 2.7 can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EIT6g2n8o_YkFxM0dtb3JKbVk/view?usp=sharing

Changes/additions are in red font, and deletions are not tracked.

1. Modified Aerodynamics Briefing, corrected/modified bullet briefing points, replaced Vne diagram/figure. Added Vne look-up tables for 210 MPH limit airplanes (RV-4/6/9) and 230 MPH limit airplanes (RV-7/8): Corrected CAS math in Table 2-1 and added Table 2-2.

2. Added note to Table 2-3 (RV-4 Aerodynamic G-Available at 1375 Lbs Gross Weight)…in that table the red font does not indicate a change, but rather that a G or airspeed exceeds design limits. Table 2-3 is identical to Table 3-8. Same note added to Table 3-8.

3. Revised Figure 3-18 in Vne discussion in Part 3. Edited/revised Vne discussion beginning on page 337.

4. Minor edits/changes to some of the RV-type handling rules on thumb in Appendix C.

After a few thousand hours of typing, research, flight test and validation, driving some very patient folks a bit crazy with questions, less than stellar IT work, and wearing out at least one old lap-top, this program/concept/document is getting reasonably mature; so I don’t anticipate any major changes, although I’ll continue to make corrections and improvements as time permits.

Of note, on 14 Oct the NTSB is hosting a working group that will be looking at ideas for mitigating loss-of-control mishap risk. Certainly one of the best/easiest means to do that is improve the quality of familiarization and training resources available for folks. Hopefully, this project demonstrates what's in the art of the doable and has proven helpful to some folks in our community.

I’ll update the separate tab data/graph/figures document soon.

If anyone has any suggestion as to what would be a useful follow-on project (e.g., video presentations, video maneuver library, power-point briefings, etc. designed for familiarization or instructor use), I’d be happy to correspond via PM, e-mail or post.

As always, if anyone would like a Word version, has any suggestion for improvement or corrections, please drop a line as well.

Fly Safe,

Vac

Last edited:
Thanks!

I know this has been a great deal of work on your part. I can only express my thanks for your sharing it with the rest of the RV flyers out there. I would recommend anyone flying or thinking of flying an RV to read this and be familiar with it content and meaning to their safety and success in operation of an RV made to the best standards of the day.
Yours most sincerely, R.E.A. III #80888

I tried to download it, and all I get is a message saying "Syllabus 2.7 Draft.pdf is unsafe to download and was blocked by SmartScreen Filter." So I tried to just open it, and I get the same thing. Any ideas?

Bruce,

I sent you an email with a copy of the latest version.

Fly safe,

Vac

G'day Vac,

I was looking through the training manual section on recoveries p284. There is a suggestion towards the bottom of the page to the effect that if you have not recovered after 1 1/2 to 2 turns you should swap rudder as you likely have the wrong one. I think that a better recommendation would be: If the aircraft has not recovered after 1 1/2 to 2 turns you should confirm the turn direction and confirm that you have opposite rudder applied. This achieves the intent of the current statement which is to put the correct rudder in but it allows for the case when the recovery is just slow and you have the correct rudder in already but it is a good idea to confirm the fact. I have had my plane take more than 2 turns to recover from a spin with the correct rudder input, if I had just swapped rudder input after 2 turns it would have actually delayed the recovery. I don't think it is good to assume that all RV's will always recover in less than 2 turns from all spin modes.

Great work by the way a super reference.

Cheers

Nigel

Thanks Nigel

Nigel,

Great suggestion, and I'll get it in the next edition.

Thanks much,

Vac

Version 2.8 Available

Version 2.8 of the syllabi/training manual is available at this link for download in pdf format:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EIT6g2n8o_QUpSUTdhR04yM1U/view?usp=sharing

Summary of Changes:

Minor edits throughout for both readability and correction. Changes are in red and deletions are not tracked.

Hyperlinks added to assist with accessibility/cross-reference.

Edited discussion in Part 3, Emergency Procedures, Out-of-Control Recovery (Thanks Nigel!).

As always, any discussion or input are welcome and if you'd like to receive a copy of this document in Word format, please drop an e-mail or PM.

Fly safe,

Vac

Version 2.9 now available

Version 2.9 of the draft training manual is now available via the following link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EIT6g2n8o_dVpSNks2clUzV1U/view?usp=sharing

Changes are in red for reference. Deletions are not tracked. Obsolete draft versions 2.0 and 2.1 have been deleted from Google Drive.

Version 2.9 Summary of Changes:

Clarified portions of “USING THIS GUIDE” paragraph on p. 19. Note: In addition to serving as a general reference, Part 3 of this document is designed to serve as the basis for developing checklists, techniques or operating procedures in the event specific guidance for a particular airplane is not available in the form of a detailed pilot’s operating handbook prepared by the builder.

Corrected gross weight on lower axis of Figure 3-14 “RV-7/8 Maneuvering Speed Example.” This graph also appears in several briefing guides in Part 2. All have been corrected.

Added knots to tables 2-3/3-8 “RV-4 Aerodynamic G Available.” I did not use the standard convention of displaying changes in red font, since this table intentionally uses red font to indicate when design limits are exceeded.

Modified/edited controllability check discussion in Part 3, Emergency Procedures section.

Added basic Aircraft Upset/Unusual Attitude discussion to EMERGENCY PROCEDURES section and revised detailed discussion of recommended recovery techniques in the MANUEVERING FLIGHT discussion in Part 3. Like the discussion regarding out-of-control/spins there is some overlap and redundancy in both sections regarding upsets/unusual attitudes.

Added step to OUT-OF-CONTROL checklist in EMERGENCY PROCEDURES section of Part 3 to disconnect/turn off autopilot.

Cudos

Big thanks to Bob Redman downunder (where the Coriolis force is wired backwards and driving on the other side of the road is encouraged by local law enforcement) for taking the time assist with editing the entire document and catching numerous errors.

Astute readers will note that I shamelessly plagiarized/paraphrased portions of Charlie Precourt’s “Test Flight” columns as published in Sport Aviation magazine recently to improve controllability check and aircraft upset discussion in this revision. Portions of the upset discussion added to the EMERGENCY PROCEDURES portion of Part 3 should also look familiar to anyone familiar with USAF/USN training manuals…

Note

Although I’ve mentioned the verbiage in the past, the “confidence maneuvers” in this program are designed to assist with developing the proper “muscle memory” to assist with upset recovery and also provide a foundational low AOA handling skill set whether or not more advanced handling (aerobatic) training is accomplished. The terms “upset” and “unusual attitude” are used interchangeably throughout this document.

As always, any comments, ideas, corrections are welcome from anyone in the community and always appreciated. Please drop a line via PM, email etc. If you would like a Word version of the document, associated grade sheets and/or are having difficulty downloading the pdf version, please drop a line as well.

Fly safe,

Vac

Last edited:
Version 3.0 Available

Version 3.0 is available via this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EIT6g2n8o_N3EwV3NCWUhmMU0/view?usp=sharing

Quite a few “house keeping” changes and corrections in this draft. Big picture: RV-3B information added, where appropriate, and knot/MPH airspeed convention applied throughout. Removed earlier draft versions 2.3 and 2.4 from the cloud. Changes are in red font. Deletions are not tracked.

As always, I’d like to thank the folks that take the time to write and provide information, ideas and/or corrections--any discussion or critique is always welcome! Special thanks to Bob Redman for his second time through the entire document (ouch) to assist with editing and keep me honest, and also thanks to Walt Aronow who maintains a back-up copy of the draft on his web site (ExpAircraft dot com) which is available to all RV’ers if the google doc’s link provided above does not work. Additionally, if you have any problem downloading the current draft or would like a Word version of the document, please drop a PM or e-mail.

Version 3.0 Summary of Changes

-Corrected FAR Flight Review reference
-Changed assumed weight for parachutes for the purpose of computing weight and balance to actual weight
-Scrubbed all Knot/MPH references throughout all Parts and adopted the following convention: “Van’s Aircraft provides RV-type airspeed performance data and limitations using MPH. In accordance with current practice, this guide presents airspeed in knots and MPH (generally presented in a KTS/MPH format). If a speed is a factory specified limitation, it is converted from MPH to knots and rounded to the closest appropriate knot. In some cases when converting from MPH to knots, a small interpolation is made to produce an easy to reference “round” number ending in zero or five if it does not exceed an airspeed limitation. Due to variation between individual aircraft, calibrated airspeed is utilized in lieu of indicated airspeed. Indicated airspeed for a specific RV-type can only be determined through flight test.”
-Revised figures and some discussion in RV-type aerodynamics briefing.
-Edited bounced landing ROT of page 434. Added ROT regarding retracting flaps abruptly (manual flaps) on conventional gear types during wheel landing.
-Edited LANDING section in PART 2. Added additional power-control discussion and established “no later than” point for stabilized final approach criteria.
-Added RV-3B weight and balance limits to Table 1-1. Limits obtained from Van’s tech support, including note regarding wing fuel weight inclusion in maximum allowable aerobatic gross weight.
-Added knots to Tables 2-1 and 2-2: VNE TAS quick reference data.
-Added RV-3B data to Table 2-4. Revised notes.
-Added RV-3B data to Table 2-5. Re-ordered notes.
-Added RV-3B data to Table 2-6. Added suggested asymmetric G limits (asymmetric G limits are not specified for RV-types by Van’s). Revised and re-ordered notes.
-Added RV-3B data to Table 3-2. Only VFE provided for RV-3 is 100 MPH/95 KTS. Note: No factory guidance available stating VFE for half-flaps or less is 10 MPH higher as is available for other RV-types.
-Added RV-3B data to Table 3-7. Revised and re-ordered notes.
-Revised note 1 in table 2-3/3-8.
-Revised and added to Appendix C: RV Handling Rules of Thumb

Fly safe,

Vac

Last edited:
My Pleasure

I hope that it contributes a bit to the corporate knowledge (or at least provides an easy to access reference) and that some folks in the community can benefit from the information. I enjoy working on it...keeps me "RVating" when I'm on a lay-over or unable to fly the RV-4 (the best mental-floss ever)!

Cheers,

Vac

P.S. My flight test department is a bit limited, so the primary focus has been the 4-7 since I am only able to validate maneuvers/data in those types. The -3B was a bit of a logical extrapolation backward at least in terms of basics, with the same thinking applied to the -9. The -12 is a different beast, and the -9/-10 and now -14 have proprietary airfoils so it's not as easy to crunch through some of the math required. The bottom line is that these "4th generation" airplanes are simply outside of my area of expertise.

I will continue to work on this project, and hope at some point in the future to include more types, but that will take more collaboration. I also hope that we can "evolve" the information and make it more accessible via the web/app: think something more similar to AOPA web-based training resources, "webinars," etc. The astute reader will note these are two, separate tactical problems. In a perfect world, we could put together a "training shop" of subject matter experts with IT support--perhaps under the auspices of a type club?

The purpose here isn't to start discussion about the relative merits of a type club, and I don't mean to engender any discussion in that regard...I'm simply offering some food for thought! I've gotten some outstanding support from folks in the community, however, I'm currently limited to a one-man basic typing/PowerPoint ranger skill-set. One of the original objectives of this project was to simply demonstrate what is in the art of the doable, and I believe that objective has been met; but I'm at the limit of my "single man" resources.

I could very much use the support of someone that is familiar with web/app design or development of web/app-based training systems that may be willing to collaborate on a project like this. Also, any instructors with experience in any RV, but particularly in the "4th gen" airframes (-9/-10/-14) or LSA (-12) who would like to collaborate are always welcome! Perhaps with a group of folks, we could move this project along and help out a larger portion of our great community...

Please keep the critiques and discussion coming, and fly safe!

Send e-mail

Cart,

Edited: received your e-mail, PDF sent your way!

Cheers,

Vac

Last edited:
Really Terrific Work!

I just wanted to add a note of thanks to you for this incredibly insightful, well written, and comprehensive work! It's a tremendous gift to the RV community and a valuable resource.

Dave Hirschman
RV-3B

Version 3.1 Now Available

Version 3.1 of the transition training materials is now available at this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EIT6g2n8o_NmJNRmRfcGR3dm8/view?usp=sharing

Minor update only. Added example VN diagram (maneuvering envelope) and associated discussion to aerodynamic briefing in Part 2 and maneuvering section of Part 3.

As always, inputs and critique are welcome and if you would like a copy in either Word or PDF format, just drop a line.

Fly safe!

Vac

amazing

408 pages and Mike lets you read it for free...
One of the best resources I have seen for RV pilots. A huge gift to our community and probably countless hours in development.
Thank you Mike

New Airman Certification Standards

RV'ers,

Effective 15 Jun 2016, the FAA has published new airman certification standards to replace the Practical Test Standards(PTS). These new standards add task-specific knowledge and risk management elements to each PTS area of operation/task. Thus far, the new standards have been published for the private license and instrument rating.

The objective standards of behavior (i.e., task standards) in the transition training program are based on the private, instrument and commercial PTS (as appropriate), so I'll have to go through the new standards and revise any applicable sections of the transition training document. I'll work on this as time permits and provide a revised draft when able; but in the meantime I just wanted folks to be aware of the change.

Please note my intention isn't to start a discussion regarding the new standards, merely to point out that I've got some homework to do and if any instructors are using the transition standards to be aware of the change.

Fly safe!

Vac

Last edited:
Vac's syllabus endorsement

Just completed a dual check-out in my newly acquired RV-4 with Vac over the weekend using this syllabus as our reference. I would thoroughly recommend this document, which Vac must have spent years perfecting, as the gold standard for those aspiring to fly an RV, as well as an invaluable reference source for experienced RV drivers.

Bruce Macdonald.

Airbus test pilot, formerly airline pilot and F-16 test pilot, and now an RV-4 owner/pilot with that Vans RV grin from ear to ear!

I finished my transition training a week and a half ago. We used this Transition
Syllabus as our guide. I sent this to my insurance company and they thought it
was well done.

using the RV Training Guide

Terminology. I’ve blended some civilian and military nomenclature when appropriate. The training program includes maneuver tasks beyond basic FAA requirements, and these fall into two categories: confidence maneuvers and advanced handling. Typically, some of these tasks are referred to as “upset training” or “aerobatics” in the civilian aviation community. I’ve opted to retain some USAF nomenclature since it better accommodates the structure of the training flow. I have, however, endeavored to remove as much jargon as practical through multiple edits.

Philosophy. The training materials have been developed and written to accommodate the complete cross-section of RV pilots. Not all pilots or instructors will utilize all of the material—it’s designed using a building-block approach that allows folks to accommodate individual training objectives. I have been fortunate to benefit from outstanding training in general aviation, military and airline operations, and I’ve tried to blend the best of all three to accommodate our RV community. Due to the handling and aerodynamic characteristics of RV-types, I’ve found knowledge and techniques used to fly fighters to often be applicable—in some cases more so than thought-processes and techniques utilized flying a typical production type. I’ve done my best to incorporate that knowledge and adapted applicable techniques throughout all of the training materials.

There are two approaches we can take to mitigate handling error: improving risk management and aircraft knowledge/handling skills. These approaches are inclusive, and I’ve incorporated knowledge and maneuvers designed to meet individual training needs. Three RV-specific design characteristics tend to get pilots into trouble: Low drag/rapid acceleration; limited stall warning; and reduced static margin/stability at aft CG and/or high pitch angles. Briefings and maneuvers have been specifically designed to expose pilots to these characteristics and provide appropriate handling techniques.

My work is open source. As such, I’ve incorporated as much applicable tribal knowledge as practical, and I hope that plagiarism is the best form of flattery in some cases! This project is a way to pay forward all of the help I’ve received throughout my career. I’ve been able to accomplish this with the outstanding help of folks throughout the Van’s/VAF community who have helped to edit and (worse!) had to serve as a sounding board for various topics. I hope most RV pilots will find some of the information useful.

Notes, Caution and Warning. The syllabus and maneuvers have been validated by associated flight and operational test, and in all-cases assume that Van’s specified design limits are adhered to; however, it’s important to remember that no two airplanes are identical, even of the same type. These differences can affect handling characteristics. Also, not all RV-types are capable of all of the maneuvers, or are not capable of all of the maneuvers in all load configurations. Another vital point is that these training materials are not designed to replace proper flight instruction, but rather support and supplement that. We have some outstanding transition instructors in our community. Proper training is the single best investment you can make as a pilot, regardless of your experience level.

Using the training materials. The “syllabus” was written to accommodate a broad cross-section of experience and requirements and provides extensive amounts of detailed information. It is not intended to be read cover to cover as a “how to” guide, but rather consists of three primary parts, each of which serves a different purpose. Part 1, titled “General” is really a training program management guide. This is designed for instructors, schools, clubs or other organizations that provide transition training. It contains detailed information about how to manage and conduct training, including a detailed set of criterion referenced objectives. When appropriate, these objectives in all cases mirror FAA Airman Certification Standards (Private/Instrument) and Practical Test Standards (Commercial). Additional objective criteria are included in all tracks of transition training for tasks not included in FAA standards (e.g., some confidence maneuvers and all advanced handling tasks). This complete set of objectives is designed to provide instructors with an assessment tool as well as providing a baseline set of standards, should there be a desire or need to quantify performance during training or operations. The various tracks are designed to include risk management and RV-specific knowledge and flying tasks in each block of training. The five-hour baseline transition track was designed to accommodate typical insurance company requirements. All tracks of instruction, lesson plans, briefings, etc. can be modified or adjusted as needs dictate.

Part 1 also contains a set of “training rules.” Training rules are employed by the military and are best thought of as a set of operating limitations designed to accommodate the skill-set required by the associated training objectives. Training rules form some of the bed-rock of what military aviators refer to as “flight discipline.” The training rules in Part 1 are designed for use during basic, VFR transition training. They accommodate the building-block training approach and can assist pilots with developing their own individual set of rules that can assist with risk management as experience and follow-on training are achieved. If FAA standards contain any rules (e.g., maneuvering floor), they are incorporated in the syllabus training rules. Training rules are presented in a bullet format and are designed to referenced during instructional briefings.

Part 2 of the “syllabus” contains lesson plans and briefing guides. Lesson plans (and associated gradesheets) are written to assist instructors manage the content, scope and duration of a training flight. Briefing guides are provided to assist instructors providing academics to transition students and other upgrading instructors. They are also a good reference for transitioning students/instructors. They cover risk management, RV-specific aerodynamics, performance, and weight and balance as well as EAB airworthiness determination. The information in the briefings mirrors the information contained in the text in other portions of the training guide and they serve as an excellent “30,000 foot overview” if reviewed in conjunction with Appendixes B (RV-type Handling Briefing) and C (RV-type handling rules of thumb).

Part 3 is the meat of the document for transitioning pilots and upgrading instructors. It is designed as a detailed operating handbook, since some RV-types do not have any such document (nor is one required by regulation). To the extent that RV’s are similar within the “design families,” as much generic data as practical is incorporated. The normal procedures and emergency procedures sections are written in a description/checklist format that is designed to be adopted by pilots in the field and customized to suit their specific airplanes should there be a need or desire to do so. Basic RV-specific IFR considerations are addressed in the all-weather operations section, which also contains information about cold-weather operations, operation in rain and snow and contaminated runway considerations. The handling characteristics section is a detailed text addressing “how RV’s fly.” Much of the tribal knowledge in this section was culled from flight test, RVator articles, VAF and earlier Matronix web-communities, appropriate manufacturer, FAA and military texts and is designed to provide a basic reference regarding handling characteristics of RV-types. The last two portions of Part 3 are detailed “how to” sections that describe how to fly various maneuvers.

Appendix A is an example of a personal proficiency program. Appendix B is an advanced handling briefing guide which is similar to a guide we would use in the military to provide a briefing for a basic “how to fly the airplane” training or proficiency flight. For a pilot fully versed in all aspects of RV flight, it provides a start to finish overview of all of the training elements contained throughout the syllabus. And, like the rest of the document, it’s best thought of as a smorgasbord: pick and choose the elements that are appropriate to what you are trying to accomplish. Appendix C is a compilation of RV-type handling rules of thumb.

Parting thought. When a student asks a question, my initial response is generally “what does the book say?” and I’m always a bit taken aback when the response is “I don’t know.” It was smartly suggested to me by folks here in our VAF community that I ought to develop a means to easily access information, which is why the table of contents and various portions of the document contain hyperlinks. Learning to fly isn’t easy, it requires study, effort, discipline, learning from mistakes (not only our own, but those of others as well!) and the ability to power-through when we aren’t having a good day—which happens to ALL of us. One of my goals in this project has been to provide a “book” for our community so that when a question arises, there is a reference that provides at least one possible RV-specific answer—but, in many cases not the only answer. This is why discussions that we have on this web site and with our fellow aviators can be so valuable for our community.

The bottom line is that I hope many RV pilots find some of the information helpful.

Fly safe and enjoy the RV grin—it’s why we’re here after all!

Vac

Last edited:
Powerpoint Briefings

Hi Folks!

I'm developing powerpoint briefings for instructional or reference use during transition training as a first step to improving the resources available for folks either teaching in or learning to fly RV's. The basic transition/instructor upgrade syllabus contains four RV-specific briefings as well as basic risk and error management briefings. The flying briefings include RV-type Aerodynamics; Performance; Weight and Balance and Airworthiness Determination.

The first step is to develop the basic slides for each brief and then, enhance them with appropriate hyperlinks, video, graphics, etc. to improve them over time.

I've finished up Version 1.0 of the Aerodynamics Briefing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EIT6g2n8o_TUFCOUd0UDJ1OTg/view?usp=sharing

I chose .pdf format due to it's ubiquitous application--especially for folks that may be using an IOS device; but I'm sure that there may be a different format that will work better and accommodate more features in the future as I learn more about developing net-based resources.

As always, I'm happy to share the .pptx file with anyone that would like a copy to adopt for themselves--just drop an e-mail or PM. And I'm always also happy to collaborate with anyone that wants to assist in editing or otherwise improving these training resources for our community. I appreciate any ideas, feedback or critique.

Fly safe and best wishes for the Holidays!

Vac

RV Performance Briefing

Happy 2017!

I've finished up the initial version of the RV-type Performance Briefing. A PDF version suitable for iPad, etc., can be downloaded here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EIT6g2n8o_X1MzYzFjdEN1dWM/view?usp=sharing

If you'd like a PowerPoint (PPT) formatted copy, drop a PM or email with your email address, and I'll be happy to forward a copy. As always, any corrections, critiques or suggestions are appreciated--and I'll incorporate them into updated versions.

Fly Safe,

Vac

Worth the price of admission, indeed!

Wow, in the middle of a long layover while browsing VAF (to postpone going to the gym) I found this gem. I read through all 8 pages and the 4 Pages from a related link. I've downloaded all of these incredible docs that Vac has posted.

I'm almost looking forward to the big headwind going back west tonight so I can peruse what I've got saved here on my iPad. Wonderful resourse material. Thank you Vac.

It amazes me the generosity of this exceptional group. I'm a civilian pilot, getting to absorb from a group so diverse.
My "gang" of formation mentors give of their time freely, the MIL among them indulge me in some BCM and ACM, all without a 6+yr comminment to Uncle Sam.....and no one is shooting at me.

Cathy

RV Weight and Balance Academic Briefing

Folks,

I've finished up the first draft of the RV Weight and Balance Academic Briefing that is designed to support transition training. As with the other briefings, I've made it available in a downloadable PDF format here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EIT6g2n8o_LWZKbVRFREdSbDQ/view?usp=sharing

There are hyperlinks in the briefing that will work in the PDF format if wireless or data access is available. The PDF format works well on portable devices, so I've chosen that as a baseline, but if anyone would like a .pptx (PowerPoint) version, please drop a line (PM me with an email address to send the file to, or just email me directly at vacf15 at yahoo dot com).

The next briefing will be RV/EAB Airworthiness Determination and Maintenance Practices.

Although the briefings are designed for instructor's providing transition training to their students, they can also be used at chapter meetings or just as fodder for starting hangar discussion with your local RV'ers. They are also a good overview or review of the topics if you're still learning (or re-learning!) your RV.

Since these power point briefings are a more recent product, in some cases they reflect improvement over the briefing guides in the transition training manual itself. As soon as I finish up the baseline set, I'll go back and revise the appropriate text for folks that prefer that format.

Fly Safe!

Vac

This looks great! I especially appreciate the slide that addresses the myth around fuel in the wing and aerobatic gross weight. Even Van's SB didn't seem to convince some that it's an issue so continued effort at getting the word out is awesome!

I also liked the description of pitch stability at aft CG. I explored this area with a couple of test cards during phase one and pitch forces are indeed very light. Moreover, I noted a very slight reversal approaching the positive load limit. Not a place where many RVs operate, but it was interesting nonetheless.

Question - the slide titled "Flying Heavy" states that stall speed, glide performance, and stick forces are altered when overweight, which is absolutely true, but there is also a follow-on that states these are exacerbated at high density altitudes. I may be mis-remembering my aero-e coursework, but I don't think the indicated stall speed for a given weight will change based on density altitude. Did I mis-read that?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Brad,

You are correct. Poor choice on the wording of the sub-bullet. I'm actually paraphrasing Van's article "Flying Heavy" from the RVator on this slide, and the point is that density altitude is yet another risk to consider, but for a given weight and G-loading, IAS for stall is not affected by density altitude.

I'll make the appropriate change to clarify!

I really appreciate you taking the time to post--this is truly an interactive project; and improves as a group effort!

Thank you,

Vac

Weight and Balance Version 1.2

Hi Folks!

I've gotten some good feedback over the past week, and have made another revision to the weight and balance briefing. In this version, I added a slide explaining zero fuel weight because in some cases, it's possible to load some RV's so that the CG will remain neutral or shift forward slightly during flight. I added another slide using an RV-8 example with a light weight pilot and forward baggage only to illustrate the concept.

I also added a bullet to the compartment weight slide highlighting the need to understand the different baggage configuration for a particular aircraft.

A PDF version can be downloaded here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EIT6g2n8o_QmhqaGR0dEVRTlU/view?usp=sharing

If you'd like a Powerpoint version, just drop a line.

21 March Edit: Added slide numbers and revised bullet on slide Number 9 regarding baggage limits, which vary depending on RV-type.

Version 1.3 in PDF format can be downloaded here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EIT6g2n8o_a1JkLUQyNkxfOTQ/view?usp=sharing

Fly safe,

Vac

Last edited:
There is an error in the slide shown on the home page. Static margin is the distance (in % MAC) between the CG and the neutral point, not the weight (CG) and the "lift". The lift vector is typically somewhere between 20 and 30% (it moves with AOA), but the neutral point is usually 50-60%MAC, depending on the horizontal tail size and moment arm. A rule of thumb is that you want at least 15% static margin for good handling.

Stability has nothing to do with whether the tail is lifting up or down. You can have a stable airplane in either case, or an unstable one. The direction of the tail lift is important for trim, but not stability. The change in tail lift with AOA is very important for stability, but not the absolute lift at a specific flight condition. Stability and trim are 2 things that are often jumbled up - there are a lot of misconceptions out there about these concepts. The airport coffee shop aces frequently mangle these, along with the legacy of poor old Bernoulli. I always liken it to kids learning about sex in the school yard. The information is readily available but accuracy is not guaranteed.

Last edited:
Hi Scott,

Thanks for taking time to post--I enjoyed the metaphor...

You are correct. The drawings used in the graphic are taken from an RVator article. Introduction of the words "static margin" is mine, since my background is fighters and I tend to think in those terms, so I'm responsible for conflating terminology that has resulted in less than precise discription. I don't believe any Van's publications utilize the phrase. If you'd like to help me re-work the graphics and any associated portions of any of the briefings or the transition training manual, drop me an email at vacf15 at yahoo dot com, as I'd be greatful for the help editing! My objective is to produce free, high-quality training resources for the community, and collaboration is one of the keys to making that happen.

Regards,

Vac

Last edited:
Version 3.2 Available

Hi Folks!

Version 3.2 Update is now available here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1heUX0aynnoJtlimDwi-s578tGBO0o15I/view?usp=sharing

This is a fairly substantial update. It’s taken longer than usual to produce, since I switched over to Apple and have had a rather steep learning curve, and we’ve spent considerable time over the past 18 months experimenting with Angle of Attack (AOA) in RV’s. As a result of that testing, AOA reference information has been added throughout all sections. This information is designed to help folks that have airplanes equipped with AOA systems. Substantial changes are highlighted in red font. Minor changes are not tracked. The table of contents is hyperlinked to simplify navigation.

Highlights:
-Objectives are updated to include AOA references for performance standards
-Hyperlinks to Powerpoint and PDF versions of the training briefings are now available for the RV Aerodynamics, RV Performance and RV Weight and Balance briefings. Text versions of briefing guides are updated to include AOA discussion. I haven’t finished the Powerpoint version of RV Airworthiness Determination and Maintenance Practices yet, so that will be included in a future update.
-Mishap statistics included in recurrent training briefing updated.
-Additional questions added to the “open book” Written Exam and Review pertaining to angle of attack.
-Extensive updates to takeoff and landing sections in Part 3 Normal Procedures. Most discussion added regards application of AOA during takeoff, pattern/approach operations and landing.
-Multiple graphics are updated throughout.
-Minor additions to Part 3 Emergency Procedures, primarily inclusion of AOA references, when appropriate.
-Maneuvering by reference to AOA section added to Handling Characteristics section of Part 3
-AOA reference information added to appropriate portions of Confidence Maneuvers and Advanced Handling sections. ONSPEED optimum turn and vertical turn maneuvers added. These maneuvers are designed specifically to introduce ONSPEED handling techniques during maximum performance maneuvering flight.
-Appendix B, Advanced Handling Briefing, updated to include additional AOA references.
-Appendix C, RV-type Handling Rules of Thumb updated to include additional AOA references.
-Appendix D added. This appendix contains hyperlinks to grade books provided for instructors to assist with training program management and documentation.

All information is provided in PDF format for compatibility with any computer, IOS or android device. As always, a Word version is available to any one that requests it—just drop me an e-mail or PM and I’ll be happy to send it!

AOA Background. Over the past 18 months, we have been testing an aural AOA logic that provides positive feedback to the pilot for all AOA conditions at or above L/Dmax, effectively allowing the pilot to hear the back side of the drag curve. It allows to pilot to easily discern L/Dmax, and, most importantly, ONSPEED. It also provides progressive stall warning (as do all AOA systems). The logic allows the pilot to easily discern between ONSPEED and “fast” or “slow,” which greatly facilitates proper pitch input when optimum turn performance is desired. This is applicable in the traffic pattern as well as during maneuvering flight. We have made a couple of demonstration videos that not only introduce the aural logic, but also serve to demonstrate the utility of having accurate AOA information available during flight.

There is a short, five-minute overview and a 20 plus minute "why/how" video. Links are below for folks that may not have seen them or are interested in learning more about the concepts:

Short Video: https://youtu.be/48ZgOYDQUfk

Long Video: https://youtu.be/-kbA6NxMpmQ

Adapting any AOA System. Any properly calibrated AOA system can be utilized to achieve L/Dmax and ONSPEED conditions, but testing may be required and the utility of various visual and aural displays varies from system to system. We conducted an Oshkosh forum (long!) on the topic and have a large briefing available that walks through the process. We’re planning to do more of the same next summer for folks that are interested. The forum is available on YouTube at this link: https://youtu.be/WmtnUjWSuBY

As always, I welcome any critique or discussion and I’m always happy to answer questions. These training and reference resources only improve with collaboration. We’ve got a tremendous amount of talent within the Van’s family, and everyone can contribute, regardless of experience. Please feel free to post, PM or email. Also, I’d be remiss if I didn’t thank Doug for making it possible to share the corporate knowledge!

Fly Safe,

Vac

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

I've gotten a few inquires lately, and just wanted to let everyone know that this project is still active. The documents and briefing are relatively mature at this point. The most current versions listed above in this thread are available for download via link.

I've been spending most of my spare time working on the AOA project, and also transitioned to Apple, which, unfortunately, hasn't gone smoothly. Currently, I have no way to update the baseline word file for the manual due to a software glitch with Office 365 running on my Mac. If anyone has experience "uncorrupting" a word document on a Mac (Word crashes every time I edit and try to save the file), I sure would appreciate some advice on how to fix that! PM or email to vacf15 at yahoo dot com if you've got any words of wisdom...

Cheers,

Vac

Word

I have office for Mac and haven?t had any issues for years. Are you running office in boot amp or is it Mac native? You can try opening the file in Pages. Sounds more like a Microsoft issue than Mac. If you have the file and can send it tome, I can try and open it and save it again...

Bob,

I?m running Office 365 on the Mac with One Note in addition to iCloud. Concur it?s probably microsoft issue, but it?s got me stumped. Happy to send the file. Drop me an email at vacf15 at yahoo dot com and I?ll send it.

Thanks much!

Vac

Version 3.3 Available

Hi Folks!

Version 3.3 of the transition training manual is now available for download. I’ll post links to all of the most current versions of the training resources in the next post (page 10 of this thread). The document is provided in pdf format so it can be loaded to any platform, and the table of contents is hyperlinked to simplify navigation.

Special thanks to my fellow RV’ers that have helped get this version published. Several folks provided mutual support as I transitioned to Apple, which was painful for a recovering PC’er. Also, thanks to the usual suspects who assisted with review. Any critique, collaboration, or lessons-learned is/are always welcome. Send any comments, suggestions, BS flags, etc. to vacf15 at yahoo dot com.

Also, I’ve gotten requests for permission to print hard copies of the basic manual using an on-line publishing service. Since those publishing services require author’s permission, consider such permission granted and print as desired!

Summary of Changes:

New additions are in red font. Deletions and minor changes for grammar/spelling are not tracked.

-Replaced reference to practical test standards with airman certification standards (ACS). Reviewed objective standards for conformity with ACS. Added FAA criteria for chandelle and lazy 8 maneuvers in addition to previous objectives for the same maneuvers.
-Added RV-performance considerations discussion to assist with computing baseline operational airspeeds (Vapp/ONSPEED/L/Dmax/Va, etc.). This is designed for instructor’s consideration when providing dual in airplanes with incomplete or incorrect performance information.
-Revised Va discussion and charts to include linear and “absolute” interpolations of G limits. Briefings and maneuvering flight portions of manual updated.
-Added “maximum performance” takeoff technique to normal procedures. This combines the “classic” soft/short field takeoff techniques into a single, easily adaptable technique that capitalizes on RV performance capability to optimize energy management during initial climb segment.
-Added additional closed pattern technique in normal procedures. This technique is not as energy efficient as the “maximum performance” closed pattern but conforms more closely with FAA publications.
-Added loss-of-control risk considerations to visual pattern discussion.
-Added discussion in the confidence maneuvers section for accomplishing the lazy 8 maneuver in accordance with the Airplane Flying Handbook (which differs from the standard military technique also described).
-Added maximum performance takeoff and landing currency considerations to Appendix A (annual proficiency training).
-Added “Pattern B” to simulated flame-out exercise in the Aircraft Handling Briefing in Appendix B. This pattern combines the 1080 steep spiral maneuver with a power-off low approach and allows conduct of the maneuver all the way to the touchdown transition.
-Revised and corrected gradebooks for each course of instruction. Updated links and also included a “hard copy” in Appendix D.

Cheers,

Vac

Last edited:
Version 3.3 Links

Folks,

Summary of changes to this version is in the previous post on Page 9 of this thread.

Version 3.3 of the transition training manual is now available for download in PDF format here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ivN6yp5cj7VvhhK_Etsweu1zh_rwtll1/view?usp=sharing

This update also includes revised gradesheets/gradebooks:

The transition and advanced transition gradebooks have been combined and can be downloaded in pdf format here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OQgfmRc9_VJ-y2qnrAcwIMgfbUPjFPyu/view?usp=sharing

The advanced top-off gradebook can be downloaded in pdf format here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1seV5ZE3eTPmbQqOF0SrbircexLKpSn3c/view?usp=sharing

The instructor upgrade gradebook can be downloaded in pdf format here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rx80j4WNiefx3jwpDZt0w_2OBsE3R68N/view?usp=sharing

Note that a “hard copy” of gradebooks are now also included in Appendix D and can be printed from the basic document, if desired.

Instructional briefings are also available for download in pdf and PowerPoint format:

The RV aerodynamics brief in powerpoint format is available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EIT6g2n8o_Y3dBUXJQaURwa0E/view?usp=sharing

The RV aerodynamics brief in pdf format is available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EIT6g2n8o_WXNzeGd5OF9uSGs/view?usp=sharing

The RV performance brief in powerpoint format is available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EIT6g2n8o_VXdjRGc1bUxmRms/view?usp=sharing

The RV performance brief in pdf format is available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EIT6g2n8o_X1MzYzFjdEN1dWM/view?usp=sharing

The RV weight and balance brief in powerpoint format is available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EIT6g2n8o_dmNhQ2tUcUozTjQ/view?usp=sharing

The RV weight and balance brief in pdf format is available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EIT6g2n8o_NzhVN1BGVk1JV3c/view?usp=sharing

As always, if anyone wants a Word version of manual, drop a line to vacf15 at yahoo dot com and I’ll be happy to send one.

Cheers,

Vac

Last edited:
Thanks!

This is really amazing! My RV-4 is in the shop and should finally be done when I get back stateside and this has been some great study material. I am feeling more confident about my GK and expectations of the plane for when I finally take it up for the first time! I just wanted to say thanks for putting this stuff together and posting it!

Hello Mike (Vac)! Your work here is outstanding. This perspective brings a very high level process to the home-built flight training community that has flexibility to be de-tuned or adapted easily when needed. The key here: The instructor to student interface is the part that matters "to the end user". I know it can be hard to visualize that part just by reading an instructor syllabus. Recreationally motivated but professionally minded pilots (the kind that tend to like to fly RV's) do not have to viscerally understand the "behind the curtain" ways and means of a program like this to benefit from it greatly. With the help of good instructors, a quality product can be consistently provided with, I suspect, excellent quality control and quantifiable results, using your courseware. This is the secret sauce of any good community based organization like the Bonanza Society, etc.

I downloaded these programs and I'll keep a hard copy of this great work handy for BFR's, training hops, etc. Thank you so much for sharing your great work, put nicely into a tidy, organized format!

AOA Training Resources

Hi Folks!

In an effort to build academics for our angle of attack project web site, I've put together four short essays that describe the basics of the AOA tone, how to use those references for takeoff and landing, basic energy management considerations and how to use the AOA logic when the engine quits. Since the transition training manual references ONSPEED AOA and L/Dmax when appropriate, I thought I would offer these essays as an additional resource for folks that are interested in learning more about angle of attack and how to apply that during everyday flying. Even if you don't have an AOA system in your airplane, the tone allows you to follow along in the videos if you are interested in learning more about the concepts. If you do have a calibrated AOA system and have accurate displays for ONSPEED and L/Dmax, then the material might offer some insight into how to apply those two key AOAs during some of your flying.

The essays are in pdf format for display on any device and they have imbedded hyperlinks, including video demonstrations.

What is ONSPEED? A description of the ONSPEED concept: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q9KbhsMRK_n4Ie4r62zN6-0KF9xAW3YD/view?usp=sharing

Takeoff and Landing Using AOA References. When we land a fighter, we use AOA as the primary reference for energy management during approach and landing. This is how that concept translates to an RV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZTK8ggY5NnBMbyqst3RsMFzKkWFs5-h4/view?usp=sharing

Introduction to Energy Management. An overview of energy management and how AOA dovetails with that topic when operating in certain parts of the flight envelope: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EwtgDXYHHl62M7A5PP0GOctsOslnbJmR/view?usp=sharing

Using AOA When the Engine Quits. A power-off glide is a great way to learn about energy management, and accurate AOA displays (or tones) can be useful maintaining aircraft control when you have a power loss:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e1eZfpUCktyoYzDxB2jbcxZc5F11jfjs/view?usp=sharing

As always, I'm looking for suggestions on how to improve or correct any of the training resources, including this material. If you have any ideas, suggestions (particularly on how to improve the videos or the articles) or questions, please drop a line or post!

Fly Safe,

Vac

Edited: Ouch, just realized (30 April) that one of the diagrams in the last paper was incorrect (the ONSPEED "push/pull" model)! No excuse. Diagram is corrected and original link replaced with link to corrected document. Also, over time there will be corrections and edits made to the associated documents. I'll update linked pdf files as that occurs. 15 May 19 Note: found error with emergency turn back discussion in "unload for control" essay, corrected diagram and verbiage. 24 May 19 Note: Small grammatical corrections to all documents. Revised Fig 8 and emergency return after takeoff discussion in "Unload for Control" essay. Updated links to current versions.

31 May 19: Revised emergency turn-back after takeoff discussion in "Unload for Control" article based on flight test. Flight test video is available here for those interested in learning more about using AOA to assist with EM for emergency turn-back: https://youtu.be/K1UlEi_Ew30. Note that minimum turn back altitude is aircraft and condition dependent; and parameters in the video are only applicable for the airplane utilized for test under test conditions.

3 Jun 19: Revised "What is ONSPEED" essay.

23 Jun 19: Revised energy management and using AOA when the engine fails essays. Repaired link.

2 Sept 19: Add link to five minute briefing for turn-back test/demo: https://youtu.be/U1T-ePy9e94

Last edited:
Stall Spin in the Base Turn Video

Recently there was some excellent discussion regarding slipping RV's that evolved into discussion about stalling while slipping. As a result of participating in that thread, I thought it might be helpful to put together a short video demonstration of slipping and skidding "departures" (the airplane doing something I don't want it to do) in the base turn:

https://youtu.be/_5xntbFSHf0

The demonstrations in the video illustrate the discussion in the training manual in the Handling Characteristics section pp. 342-333 and Confidence Maneuvers section pp. 390-391.

Standard notes/warnings/cautions apply: For the demo, the airplane is loaded within Van's aerobatic weight and CG limits for the RV-4. Also, as stipulated in the manual, the RV-4 experiences fairly significant horizontal stabilizer buffet during a skidding departure.

Fly safe,

Vac

Comprehensive and Valuable Resource!

Thanks to VAC for all of this hard work!

Here is a document with outstanding structure and content. Any flight instructor considering transition training could very well get whatever they need from this one source for syllabus structure.

Having had written my own syllabus for a LODA application I appreciate everything that this document has. Even the Motherhood issues such as ADM, RM, SRM are properly embedded throughout.

The inclusion of solid AoA flying skills then sets this method head and shoulders above standard approaches to energy management.

Vac's willingness to let all of us copy and use this material as our own is invaluable. This is intellectual property that is actually worth something.

Thanks Vac!

Back