What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Mount/Nose Gear

dreed

Well Known Member
Hey- Just curious how many of you are going to move to the new mount/nose gear on your 7A's (flying or building).

I got a call yesterday and sounds like Vans is really close on those who've not drilled their firewall yet. Those of us who have may have to wait a little longer.

Anyone else get a call this week?

Dan

New gear

Yes. Got the call. I drilled my firewall for a rotisserie. Even though the holes are only 3/16" and exactly i the predrilled holes, Eric said to wait for the undrilled mount. That's fine. I've got plenty to do.

Have my finishing kit ordered for my 7a. Going with the new engine mount and nose gear. It will be ready around the second week of September

I received the call as well. I am going with the new set up. Should be here late August. Seemed like a small price to pay for what seems to be a needed upgrade.

I got called today. I already drilled my firewall so I have to wait for the undrilled version. All two months of waiting... :( There is only so many things I can do before I get that engine on, oh well though, such is life. Looking forward to the upgrade.

Jereme-

Feeling the same way! I have the engine hung, wiring run, etc. Stinks to pull it off but another couple months is worth it in the long run for sure.

Thankfully, just started to make little nibbles at the bottom cowl. Hope I don't need to add any glass back.

Shot from 2 weeks before they made the announcement. Not a ton more done other than a little more wiring in the FWF after I snapped this.

80-img_20190604_135349_8481cd58cc5dfb656838f2f01bbd9135da728b82.jpg

80-img_20190604_135343_b75cd019820335cbfc3feff5cee517055d5a583b.jpg
[/IMG]

I've been flying for nearly 2.5 years. After reviewing what it would take to upgrade, I opted to keep my current setup.

got the call a few days ago, they are telling me a couple weeks out. luckily I have not frilled the firewall yet. If I had my engine all mounted not sure I would have pulled the trigger on this one. There are thousands of these flying and if treated right should be just fine. I plan on pampering my baby, she will be an asphalt queen with no dirt on her slippers. After spending all this time and money I cant imagine slamming her into a short dirt strip.

I definitely went back and forth but opted for a couple of reasons.

• Better design for sure, should provide a little better safety margin
  • Resale- not sure I'll ever sell but if I do, I a pretty sure it will help
  • now is the time if I am going to do it. it adds some time/money but I wouldn't do it post cowl/paint/etc.

I definitely went back and forth but opted for a couple of reasons.

• Better design for sure, should provide a little better safety margin
  • Resale- not sure I'll ever sell but if I do, I a pretty sure it will help
  • now is the time if I am going to do it. it adds some time/money but I wouldn't do it post cowl/paint/etc.

Ya, resale was the biggest factor for me. You better believe people buying an A model in the future are going to be wanting this. Plus, now our planes are almost exactly a small version of the -14A. haha :D

I spoke to Vans today. It looks like a couple of weeks for me. I still haven't drilled my firewall yet so that makes things simpler.

Got the call

I got the call today. Going with the update. This is the only time i am glad i am going slow

In other news, i will be in camp scholler with beer. From what i hear, i might need some help getting it thru the gate sunday night ( to hbc) Who can i call?.

Last edited:
I?m in the middle of an engine change. So, a great time to change engine mount. Does Vans want the $3000 up front? Or do they bill before shipping?

Tim

Tim- They will bill you when it's ready to ship (I asked too). If you aren't on the list I'd say get on soon.
dan

While at the hangar today I started thinking about converting to a Tail wheel vs the new mount.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?

I learned to fly in Champs and Cubs, and while super rusty I wonder if this may be an alternative.

Sorry, just thinking out loud but would love to hear what others think of this.

Thanks- dan

Upgrade vs. Update

Ya, resale was the biggest factor for me. You better believe people buying an A model in the future are going to be wanting this. Plus, now our planes are almost exactly a small version of the -14A. haha :D

I totally agree. I do not plan to ever sell this bird but if I had to buy one I would look for one with this mod. It is the most significant factory update in years. I was sort of lucky I had just put in my order when they came out with it so I was able to add it to the kit before the kit shipps. They told me 2 weeks and it has been 6 but thats ok. I am in no rush.

I do not know if this is an upgrade since there is really no data of any flying RV7As with it but with enough skill you can break any gear leg and in an forced off field landing I don't think it will make much of a difference. One thing I don't understand why it has to be so much of a price bump. I know most people building these planes these days will easily crack the 100k but I was shooting for a 50K plane (I know... naive) I was going for light and simple.

I totally agree. I do not plan to ever sell this bird but if I had to buy one I would look for one with this mod. It is the most significant factory update in years. I was sort of lucky I had just put in my order when they came out with it so I was able to add it to the kit before the kit shipps. They told me 2 weeks and it has been 6 but thats ok. I am in no rush.

I do not know if this is an upgrade since there is really no data of any flying RV7As with it but with enough skill you can break any gear leg and in an forced off field landing I don't think it will make much of a difference. One thing I don't understand why it has to be so much of a price bump. I know most people building these planes these days will easily crack the 100k but I was shooting for a 50K plane (I know... naive) I was going for light and simple.

Ya the price bump is why I said no to the upgrade for about 4 days. Couldn't see the price increase reflected in the upgrade but oh well, I wanted it in the end so I paid it. I am one of the lucky ones that gets to send back my old mount and leg so that saved me a bit too.

Dont know how, but our A&P Dennis is doing a 7A and has the new mount INSTALLED already. Nice package----and a new toy for us to play with.

Tom

No ----its not mine.

How Much?????

I'm having trouble with the math $3,000.00 to up grade and I'll be on my own to sell the orphaned mount + Leg. If that's not bad enough Vans has set the resale price to $720 as this is the difference in price on the web site between the two mounts. Vans list for the old mount&leg are $1467.50,that's a $745.50 chop that Vans has built into the deal:mad:. The law of supply/demand will automatically put these mounts at the bottom of the pile as a number of them will be for sale.
On the flip side of the coin $1467.50+$720 =2187.50, that's $812.50 under the price quoited to me. When the 7 wouldn't recover fast enough Van sent a new rudder kit,FREE. When cracks developed,I ordered punched stiffeners for a reasonable cost.I'm all about safety,and yes,I want Vans to be in business for years to come. I'm left feeling kicked in the teeth for $745.00 and gouged to the tune of $812.50 for the improved parts.Some how landing up right is just as important as recovering from a spin. Given the small number of upgrades,Vans can and should do more to help with the cost of this upgrade.IMHO
RHill

Last edited:
I'm having trouble with the math $3,000.00 to up grade and I'll be on my own to sell the orphaned mount + Leg. If that's not bad enough Vans has set the resale price to $720 as this is the difference in price on the web site between the two mounts. Vans list for the old mount&leg are $1467.50,that's a $745.50 chop that Vans has built into the deal:mad:. The law of supply/demand will automatically put these mounts at the bottom of the pile as a number of them will be for sale.
On the flip side of the coin $1467.50+$720 =2187.50, that's $812.50 under the price quoited to me. When the 7 wouldn't recover fast enough Van sent a new rudder kit,FREE. When cracks developed,I ordered punched stiffeners for a reasonable cost.I'm all about safety,and yes,I want Vans to be in business for years to come. I'm left feeling kicked in the teeth for $745.00 and gouged to the tune of $812.50 for the improved parts.Some how landing up right is just as important as recovering from a spin. Given the small number of upgrades Vans can and should do more to help with the cost of this upgrade.IMHO
RHill

Look at it another way. You were satisfied with "the deal" you had with Van's until a couple of weeks ago when better (?) components were released.
Nothing has changed in the deal you already had going. If you were happy with those parts before, why not be happy with them now?

I look at it the same way you feel when new avionics are released, obsoleting whatever you have. It was gonna happen one day. In this case, it just happens to be today with your nosegear.

Personal experience: The RV-7 was announced about a week after the first flight of my -6. Stuff happens. I'm still pretty happy with my -6. ;-)

Tom-

Had he already drilled or was his an un drilled firewall?

Getting a little anxious to get mine for my already drilled FW.

Would love to see some more pics if you could share :)

Thats life & Facts don't care about my feelings

I understand, I've held off finishing my 7a due to an unhappy wife and the noodle nose gear. I'll bite the bullet and upgrade. $3K is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the finished ship. I've seen enough flips to know its a matter of when not if. The RV10 and so far the 14 have not landed upside down in the numbers attributed to this gear leg. If I may be so bold as to say. landing without a anti-splat brace is the equivalent of ridding without a helmet.
Regardless of either system the wheel bearing + balance issue still need to be addressed.
RHill

Last edited:
Hi All-

I have an unfinished -7A, with an uninstalled, old style, engine mount & nose gear.
I got a quote from Vans (~ 3months ago) for $3200 to upgrade to the new,
"Bendable" Nose gear.

I never received a call, so just what was Van's calling about?

Thanks,

Paul Reeder
Hilliard, Ohio
Lost in the Garmin Wiring Labyrinth
RV-7A Forever Build

Back