What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7 Vern Head 71139

After assembling and match drilling the fuse tail section, I disassembled for deburring, edge shaping, dimpling, etc. As I was getting the parts ready for assembly, I started looking around the shop and decided I had to do something before I began the next phase. I replaced some old wall board, painted and generally reorganized.
IMG_0910_heic-M.jpg

Sooooo much brighter. Now to get on with it.

IMG_0913_heic-M.jpg

Putting things back together. I fastened the bulkheads in place first, then the stringers. This assembly got rigid in a hurry.

IMG_0918_heic-M.jpg

This assembly almost made me wish I built an /A. Almost...

IMG_0919_heic-M.jpg

Finally have the tail cone in place. Now to start the riveting. Before I did that, I got the laser out and checked alignment again. Looking good so I started the assembly.

IMG_0920_heic-M.jpg

Finally have the tailcone riveted together up to the upper J channel.

IMG_0940_heic-M.jpg

Last edited:
Getting started on the center section with the seat ribs. I spent some time trying to figure out the access ribs and the clearance ribs. Finally. I marked and cut the ribs as shown.

IMG_1016_heic-M.jpg

This is the completed access rib. You will want to finish attaching the reinforcing plate to the cutout rib piece before installing the nut plates.

IMG_1020_heic-M.jpg

With all the ribs cut and the rib nut plates installed I attached the ribs to the F704 aft bulkhead and the F705 bulkhead. You may notice F705 is modified for the Anti Splat Almost a 14 seat mod.

IMG_1021_heic-M.jpg

5nhtrZZXTLWc4Dq%2BxcKhOA-M.jpg

Next, the baggage area ribs are attached to F705. This takes some patience as the two ribs share clecoes in several spots AND there are small spacers in 4 spots. I found I could put a clecoe in from the front to hold the rib and spacer in place while attaching the baggage rib with another clecoe, then push the first through without loosing the spacer.

%2Bn2%259WFOQFqL6RKemCI65g-M.jpg

After this photo I discovered that I had mistakenly attached one rib in the wrong place, twice. This became obvious when I tried to attach the skin.

WeB6jspHTj%2BE2hg0uguH5g-M.jpg

Center section skin in place. I had this assembly vertical for assembly but couldn't leave it like that for the night so I laid it back down.
Looking more like an airplane everyday.

Vern, if you haven?t riveted up the floor ribs yet, now is a good time to install crotch strap brackets.

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate the tips. You don?t know what you don?t know.
We had some close storms and I?ve been on a generator since Sunday. Hopefully back in the shop by Friday.

Back