What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting GoPro Hero 2 ideas

AN23

Well Known Member
I have dug out my old GoPro Hero 2 and, after making certain it still works, I want to mount it in our RV-8. My son likes acro and he would like a forward shot to review and then we take our grandkids for rides and would like to be able to easily change it to a rear seat view. Remember, the GoPro 2 requires some button pushing so it's got to be where we can reach it. Seems to me that some sort of vacuum mount on the canopy may be best. Any ideas or suggestions? Ram mount? If so, which one? If you have any photos of your solution, I would appreciate seeing them! Thanks in advance.

Rob

mounting action cams

I bought some very cheap Crosstour brand action cameras just to play with them and they are pretty good. I think I paid about 50 euros each, and they do 4k video. I also bought one of those very cheap 60 piece "gopro" mounting kits for about 19 Euros.

Rear camera view.png

https://youtu.be/nZd7RIJKsp8?t=683

Mounted it to the front seat brace with some handlebar mounts.

The cool thing is that it's plugged into the USB power ports I installed for the back seater (also have one for the front) and I put the camera in "dashcam" mode so it starts recording automatically when it gets power.

If you have someone in the back seat, you can see that this will probably be an easy way to film them.

I bought some 1/4" - 3/8" converters on Amazon. Remove one of your underwing tie down rings, screw in the 3/8 end of the converter and use a 1/4 tripod mount attached to the camera. Works well for me.

Go Pro has a suction mount that works for me on the windshield.

I also have their regular mount riveted to a plate with screw holes to fit two of the wing fairing holes. I press start before takeoff and get good pics with no screen in the way.

I had some extra lower wing access panels for the wing, and were painted with the plane. Used the GoPro white surfboard adhesive mount, and drilled a couple of holes with recessed screws in addition to the adhesive. The screws go through an aluminum reinforcing plate on the backside also. The plate switches out in a few minutes. Used for a flight over the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley.

Can post pics if anyone is interested.

Back