What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 8 aerobatics

Xon

I'm New Here
In the process of building an RV8 for the sole purpose of doing aerobatics. I am 72 years old, have 5000+ hours, 1500 of which are in Pitts Specials, all makes and models. Have completed the empennage. Before proceeding forward on the building project, I am curious if anyone has compared the RV8 aerobatic pitch and roll pressures to a Super Decathlon. I no longer have a desire for cross country flying and am looking to build or buy an aircraft strictly for aerobatic pleasure. Due to my age, it would be a pleasure to actually see the length of the runway when you’re rounding out for a landing. Appreciate anybody’s input who has done aerobatics in both an RV8 and a Decathlon.

Welcome

While I don’t have much time in an -8, I can tell you, you’ll throw rocks at the Decathlon after you fly the -8!

The visibility is super and Ron Schreck (sp) on here, flies competition in one and does quite well.

Regards,

Super D vs. RV-8

I purchased an RV-8 basically to fly sportsman level aerobatics after having owned two Super D’s and giving about 700 hours of aerobatic/Tailwheel instruction in the Decathlon. I only have about 15 hours in my RV-8 as it has been in the paint shop. If you PM me I will gladly have more insight to give as I progress in my path to compete in my RV in the sportsman category. There are a number of experienced RV-8 competitors (and one highly experienced RV-4 competitor) who are always happy to give their insights. I just installed an aerobatic sight gauge using Ron Shreck’s instructions. After about five aerobatic flights in my RV-8 versus the hundreds I have in the Super Decathlon I can state that my RV-8 purchase to replace my Super D was definitely the right decision!

Dave Xon here regarding super d vs rv8. I sent you a PM but not very efficient on computers..advise if received

In a nut shell the Decath & RV8 are like chalk & cheese! I sold my ACA machine and bought an 8, no contest! :)

RV8 vs. Decathlon

I owned both at the same time and flew 20 hours in the RV for every 1 hour in the Decathlon. I used the Decathlon for dual aerobatic instruction.

The Decathlon is similar in pitch feel to the RV8, but is, how shall I say, tedious in roll rate with higher stick force.

Now I hate to discourage you from the RV8, but I can't understand why you would build an RV8 exclusively for aerobatics. Why not go back to the Pitts considering your experience, or perhaps find an affordable One Design. Even consider the Decathlon, not as much fun, but a solid aerobatic performer.

Starting a build at age 72 is going to cost you several valuable years that you could be flying. (I'm 74, so not questioning your basic thought process).

Good luck.

I owned both at the same time and flew 20 hours in the RV for every 1 hour in the Decathlon. I used the Decathlon for dual aerobatic instruction.

The Decathlon is similar in pitch feel to the RV8, but is, how shall I say, tedious in roll rate with higher stick force.

Now I hate to discourage you from the RV8, but I can't understand why you would build an RV8 exclusively for aerobatics. Why not go back to the Pitts considering your experience, or perhaps find an affordable One Design. Even consider the Decathlon, not as much fun, but a solid aerobatic performer.

Starting a build at age 72 is going to cost you several valuable years that you could be flying. (I'm 74, so not questioning your basic thought process).

Good luck.

Well said.:)
I'm 10 years younger and still didn't build due limited time at the other end of ones life scale:) I'd rather fly simple as that:) Love RV aero's, one fits like a glove with their mount:)

Sight Gauge Instructions

Do you have a Picture of the sight gauge? Where can we find the instructions?

Thanks,
Yves

I'm sorry I didn't take any close up pictures during the construction of the sight gauge but here's a picture of it in use. (Well not actually in use at the moment the picture was taken as I was flying formation on the T-6 camera plane during a loop. :))

Materials include 1/4 x 1 inch strap aluminum for the support legs. A 1/2 inch round tube for the main shaft, a couple of carbon fiber arrows from WalMart, a short length of #10 threaded rod and a short piece of 1/2 inch wooden dowel. Four plastic bushings, 3/4 inch long with 3/16 inch holes and four AN-3 bolts are used to secure the assembly to the wing tip rib.

The arrows are cut to length and joined with the threaded rod. The dowel is carved to a point by spinning in a drill and formed with course then fine sandpaper. Cut holes in the 1/2 inch tube to fit the arrows, fit the dowel in the end of the tube and fill the tube with epoxy to set the arrows and dowel in place. Cut the 1/4 x 1 inch straps to fit and secure to 1/2 inch tube with screws. I added some wire to this attach point as well. Paint as desired. Fit the entire assembly to the wing end rib with AN-3 bolts (2 per strap). You will need bushings to extend the assembly to fit just clear of the wing skins.

You will need to cut two recesses in your fiberglass wing tips to clear the straps. I found that mounting the sight gauge parallel to the canopy sill works well. Fore and aft placement is done by observing where the horizon falls when established in a vertical up line. A piece of tape on the wing tips and several flights may be required to get this placement correct.

I built my sight gauge in one day but if this is too much for you a few pieces of automotive striping tape on the canopy is an easy and cheep alternative. I used that for years before building the sight gauge.

Here's another picture where you can see how I used the safety wire to augment the screws that hold the assembly to the support legs.

Close up

Let me know how yours turns out!

I purchased an RV-8 basically to fly sportsman level aerobatics after having owned two Super D’s and giving about 700 hours of aerobatic/Tailwheel instruction in the Decathlon. I only have about 15 hours in my RV-8 as it has been in the paint shop. If you PM me I will gladly have more insight to give as I progress in my path to compete in my RV in the sportsman category. There are a number of experienced RV-8 competitors (and one highly experienced RV-4 competitor) who are always happy to give their insights. I just installed an aerobatic sight gauge using Ron Shreck’s instructions. After about five aerobatic flights in my RV-8 versus the hundreds I have in the Super Decathlon I can state that my RV-8 purchase to replace my Super D was definitely the right decision!

Hi Dave, interested in following your journey into RV-8 Sportsman competition as well, having just purchased an RV-8 myself with similar intentions. I don't have quite the experience you do, but have thoroughly enjoyed aerobatics in a few different aircraft throughout my 20 years of flying including Super D's, a Great Lakes and Extra's. I have some work to do to get there (for instance my -8 is a great build, but the builder wasn't interested in aerobatics so he didn't certify it or do the HS AD, so I'd like to get that done and then I'll have to put it back into Phase I at some point). My goal is to enter my 1st competition in the next year or so. I'll PM you if you don't mind.

I'm 69 and purchased an RV-8 a year ago. I came out of an Extra 300S that I had flown in competition for many years. I have a very limited time in a Citabria, but some. The RV-8 is no Extra, of course. But likewise the Citabria is no RV-8. I had filled my aerobatic dance card and purchased the RV-8 because I could still do 'gentleman' aerobatics as well as take somebody on a X-country at 200mph. The RV-8 does a nice job fulfilling the reasons for my purchase. The RV is light on the controls, unlike the Citabria that is rather a pig. Also, the RV-8 accelerates QUICKLY on the downline and I find it bears varying the G and power to keep the speed in check. Again, I feel the RV-8 is limited as an aerobatic mount, but you also have to take into account my experience is mostly in an Extra. They are two different animals and each does well with what they are designed to do. You won't be unhappy with the RV-8. It's a fun 'weekend' aerobatic airplane. And like you said, 'it's nice being able to see the runway ahead when you land'.

Good luck.

My immediate thought was I want to be still doing aerobatics at 72. How awesome😃

Back