What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dash 1 RV8A

I have purchased an RV8A. Called amike for transition training and he replied,
“ hope you’re not in a hurry.” Queried what a hurry was and he said November.
He recommended a Chris in BOI and I’m headed there next weekend. He teaches in an RV7A with same wing and engine as the 8.
When I get in the 8 to bring it home, it will be my first time in type. Are there any on line gouge on handling or suggested techniques? I’ve heard that with a single pilot and fwd CG, you should land with no flaps For elevator authority. Just the experience others have gleaned with time in type, which I’ve got nil....

When I picked up a new to me Rocket I did pattern work from the back seat with the original owner to low approaches. Landing from the back in a tandem aircraft is a change in sight picture but you will get a feel for the aircraft. I then flew home but instead of going to my narrow home strip I went to the wide county airport. First however I slow flighted the aircraft and did several clean and dirty stalls. Once I established the site pictures and 1.3 VS I got in the pattern. Once comfortable on the big runway I took her home.
I think you will find that landing the 8 is easier than the 7 sitting on the centerline. I would also use flaps unless your slow flight testing shows it can’t be trimmed out in that configuration. Half flaps is always a option and adding ballast to the aircraft to have a perfect CG is always a option for learning the aircraft. I also self imposed very low crosswind limits. The 7A should be just fine for a transition to the 8A.
G

my First 8 landing resulted in tires chirping, bouncing, due to unintentional brake input. The geometry of the pedals make it difficult to stay off them. Keep this in mind, especially on pavement. Carry a little power to eliminate the loss of elevator authority.

Last edited:
I always land full flaps, even when solo. I’ve never had an issue. I do find that carrying a little power into the flare results in more consistent landings. My first phase I test flight was my first flight in an RV-8...it flies great. My aircraft is a straight 8, not an 8A. If you get some time in an RV-7, I’m sure you’ll be more than ready.

Jeff,

I recommend careful review of the plane’s W&B data.

RV-8As can be nose heavy or fine solo, they can be tail heavy or fine with a passenger, it all dependes.

If the W&B data looks shakey, then some general thoughts:
- 180HP 360 with FP prop, battery on the firewall may be nose heavy when solo.
- 200HP 360 with a Hartzell CS prop and a big battery aft should be about right when solo.

If the W&B data has you concerned about being nose heavy, go to the local sport store and get a 25 pound bag of lead shot and strap it in the baggage area for your first flight.

Carl

I did my transition training with Chris in Boise before flying my 8A. I can recommend him. The transition from side to side to centerline is nothing to worry about. You go from having very good visibility to having really great visibility.

I did find that due to instrument or installation error I couldn't use the same approach speeds. Get the best speeds for the plane you bought from the POA they should have written up after testing.

Totally agree on checking the weight and balance carefully. 81.4 inches is as far forward as I can load mine (full fuel/50 lbs forward baggage) at that position I still have plenty of elevator authority to flare but run out of trim at pattern speeds. Controls feel most balanced in the 82.5+/- range and elevator gets heavier/lighter the further you get from this middle area. Still easy to fly and stable throughout Van's posted CG range.

Be sure to calculate your nose wheel weight and watch the limits as spelled out here: https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Nose_gear_service_letter.pdf

Don't be afraid to use ballast either in the front or back as needed to get into the middle of the CG range

Don't worry about running out of elevator authority. You may run out of nose-up elevator trim, but not control authority.

Carl's point about c.g. is important. Battery in back vs front, heavy prop, light prop. Carl's detailed points confuse me though, the lighter engine and prop combination won't make it nose heavy. I think he just transposed what he meant to say.

I also have found that my 8 will not fly as slow (Indicated) as the 7 I transitioned in. I think it is a combination of instrument error and position (static source) error in my case.

Thanks for the responses

AMike is Mike Seager, just a typo.
Thx for the link to the CG charts.
The plane has a Lycoming 180 w CS, don’t know where the battery is

8 Elevator

I have an -8 with an IO-360 angle valve and heavy 74” Hartzell blended airfoil constant speed prop. It is pretty nose heavy solo, but elevator authority at landing or stall is not an issue. In fact, I can hold the nose on the horizon while stalled!

Skylor

Back