What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Visiting Redding, hangar/parking/flying tips appreciated

docsuresh

Good evening,
in the midst of this grueling lockdown, the wife and I just decided we'll spend next week in Redding and hike some and rest some.
Appreciate any guidance on parking RV in KRDD transient or a shared hangar for a week (Sunday 2nd - Sat 8th).
Any other tips on flying in the area - appreciated.

thank you,

Suresh Subramanian
N765RV
RV7A
Ramona, CA

I go up to Redding on occasion. At RDD, I park at Redding Jet Center. It's OK, nothing special, but they're good about parking the airplane and not moving it again. They do offer hangar space, and you might luck out, because their maintenance shop controls the hangar, but they have at least one mechanic who is RV friendly, and likes to talk about them.

Flying into Benton is another good option. Very GA friendly, and a restaurant on site. We usually stop at Harris Ranch on the way to/from.

Redding Jet Center has a courtesy car, if you are lucky enough to get it. Not sure they want it out overnight? I've used it for a quick trip into town.

Benton is a much more GA-friendly, everybody friendly kind of place. I hope the restaurant is still open ( I don't know). A few RVs there so you might find someone to let you squeeze into a hangar.

It is going to be HOT! most of this week, so if you come, head for the mountains. Whiskeytown Lake is nice and just a short drive. It used to be MUCH nicer, but sadly the Carr fire (2 yrs ago now?) burned some of the forest surrounding the lake. Still a nice spot. The Trinity Alps are a little ways drive, but offers a chance to hike up far enough to get to cooler weather. On less-traveled trails, do keep an eye out for rattlesnakes. Castle Crags State Park has nice hiking, and if you want to climb enough, some beautiful lakes and cooler weather with altitude. Also you can drive to the trailhead at the end of the road on Mt Shasta. That gets you up pretty high, good views (if it is not smokey) Lake Shasta and Trinity Lake don't offer much in the way of nice beach or water access except for big boats.

Other flying options nearby: There may be some lodge availability at Trinity Center?
About a 1/2 hr RV flying time north is Siskiyou Co. airport. Not much going on, but some glider activity if you want to see what that is like. Another 10 minutes north gets you to Ashland, OR (my home base) A nice town to kick around for a day. The restaurants on the plaza are seating outside along the creek for lunch, so it is cooler, quiet, nice. Before we moved here, I used to set up an Enterprise car rental through the FBO (Skinner Aviation) and I am pretty sure they still do that.

For flying sightseeing, a buzz around the Trinity Alps is spectacular, and just a bit north from there, the Russian Wilderness and Marble Mountain Wilderness are also breathtaking. These are true Wilderness Areas, so please respect altitude limits. - When I'm flying, I like airplanes and airplane noises. When I am backpacking in wilderness, I would prefer not to hear them. Staying high and reducing power is just part of being a good neighbor. And of course, watch out for TFRs right now too.

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed replies

Fellow RV-ers. Thank you for the detailed replies and suggestions. Appreciate it very much.

Called and spoke with the Redding Jet Center..any hangar opening (FYI) is only for overnight parking or a couple of days at the most. Longer stays will have to use the tie-down.

Spoke with Jim at the Benton airport. Definitely a GA friendly airport and he was already offering me his car to drive around town! Bless the GA world and the people we meet.
FYI..no rentals on the field but Enterprise and Hertz deliver cars.

Redding, Eureka/Arcata

Just returned from a week in Redding and Eureka/Arcata.

Redding
1) Redding Jet Center - full-service FBO. Dustin (in maintenance/service) is fantastic and very helpful. Oxygen refill was $75!. I decided not to refill at Redding. $5/night tie-down fee.
2) Hikes in Lassen National Park and around Shasta were thinly populated - often we had large portions of the park to ourselves. Fantastic experience.

Eureka/Arcata Redwood
1) You all may already know this, but KACV is likely one of the nicest airports to fly into. Beautiful setting, long runways, multiple LPV approaches and a full facility terminal. $12.80/night tie-down.
2) Enterprise rental at KACV has great rates and Maddy at the counter goes over and above to help out.
2) Redwood parks were more crowded.

N765RV
Ramona, CA

Back