What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VAN'S LOWER COWLING LOUVER MOD

flybywire

I just had my mechanic ([email protected]) Camarillo CA install the Van's lower cowling LOUVER mod to my RV-7 - - about 5 hours of labor & the kit from Van's (under $15). The first step (see my twitter post) is to hollow out a slot on the inside of the lower cowl with a disk sander. Then the edges are floxed and the fiber glass is laid down. After overnight drying, the Van's metal template is positioned to the prepared surface and the slots are cut. Finally, the louvers are riveted and the metal flaps are bent inward to evacuate airflow out of the cowling. Looking to get my CHT's down to around 350* on these hot SoCal days. I also re-positioned & enlarged my oil cooler with the Showplanes.com mod. Will test fly today and report results!

https://twitter.com/scottdweck/status/1287002746445369345?s=19

Interesting, were you having cooling issues? If so, has this helped?

Nice photos, anymore of the completed product?

You could now afford to install or increase the height of your #1 ramp to balance the #1 and #3 CHTs (assuming your #3 is getting airflow around the rear of the cylinder head).and straighten that CHT line.

RV7A, Lycoming Thunderbolt YIO-390-EXP. 10:1 compression, Airflow Performance FM200 with ram air, dual P-Mags with Engine Bridge timing controller.

I couldn’t climb full power at less than 130kts and keep Cyl temps below 410. In cruise at 8500 I had to run lean of peak to get temps below 380, rich of peak operation pushed into 400 degree territory. Had to run retarded timing (max 25 degrees) to help temps.

Last week I installed Van’s new cowl louvers kit. Total time for the install was about six hours spread over a couple of days. Pretty easy quick job if you already have on hand the fiberglass supplies.

Did a long test flight and I’m very pleased with the results. Full power climb to 8500 @ 120kts and 1200fpm resulted in all cylinders below 400. Cruise flight rich of peak now possible with temps in the 380 range, LOP now in the 330 range.
Overall I’m seeing a 20 - 30 degree decrease in cylinder head temps. Additionally, I’m now running a max ignition advance of 29 degrees with a base timing of 21 degrees (angle valve engine timing is 20 degrees BTDC).

So the big question is how did it impact my airspeed? This is pretty hard to answer. I’m actually going a few knots faster as I can run the engine a bit harder and with a little more advance. I tried running the same LOP fuel flow as before and might have seen 2 kts higher TAS, but density altitudes and other factors were certainly different. I think it is safe to conclude that the louvers had little to no impact on airspeed.

One other factor in my plane was the presence of the heat muff that partially blocked the exit air on the right side of the cowl. Along with the nose wheel mounts, the exit air area on my plane was pretty restricted. That may also have been a factor that made this mod so successful on my plane.

Wow, great post from MelJordan! How are your oil temps? I installed the Showplanes oil cooler mod which really dropped my oil temp by 30*.

I had a RV-6 with an IO-390 . . . had to re-skin the horizontal stab because cracks were developing in the skin around the rivets. We went to the the one up thicker mil size which fixed the problem. Keep an eye on it.

The RV7A, which is what I no fly, comes stock with the thicker tail skins. I did just help an airport friend make two new elevators for his IO-540 powered RV Super Six due to elevator skin cracks around rivets even with the .020 skins. It on my condition inspection checklist.

I had to go from a 13 row oil cooler to a 17 row cooler to get my oil temps under control with this 390 in the hot AZ desert. Everything is good now with climb oil temp in the low 190’s and cruise steady at 186.

The show planes cooler install looked really nice, but my firewall arrangement would have required a complete redo to make it work. If I were building a new plane, I would certainly use the Showplanes cooler mount.

Back