What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mobile Plans Relocating Device (Cheap Lectern to hold plans)

While working on the RV-14 HS and rudder, I quickly realized that I spent roughly 10% of my time deciphering what the plans were telling me to do and 15% of my time finding a good place to lay out the plans so they were convenient but not in the way. I figured there had to be a better way. I couldn't find anything free, but I did find this inexpensive wheeled lectern on The Amazon. TLDR; this might be the greatest addition ever to my shop. I don't know how I could live without it. I'm so in love with this thing that I had to share how wonderful and life-affirming it is.

There are lots of styles available for around $60-$80 brand new. You might even be able to find one used if you have a local church going out of business. It holds the plans at the perfect height to read while standing or even sitting on my shop stool (get your own stool) and the angle makes it easier to read than on a flat table. There's even a small lower shelf to hold my cup of rivets before I spill them. I can wheel it around to always be nearby no matter what area of the shop I'm working in. As a bonus I'm always ready to deliver a sermon to anyone foolish enough to enter the shop asking about airplane building.

Assembly was really straightforward and my contract labor was able to get everything put together in about an hour (see below). I'm thinking about future upgrades to include LED reading light, ground effect lights, Blue Sharpie holder, holder for inferior pens, insulated beer caddie and airbrushed flames so it rolls faster.

ACtC-3ez5Kt7z2DDBwaY4-sBf5nhAyDxQuxwEAr7DV8S_WNY0moBCv-3T9E8IP9Ogxs9_SQj5THIgj_f9N8AwtHQ2BlEl0C0BcuHoVaLVqFywUdNu0WiZs0V0u_SUyqFyJtFaLfbtnscAbNFRPHzEnMBA_0sJw=w640-h1947-no

Finished product holding locked-and-loaded plans.

ACtC-3fTvj7lFCjgC8uv3oXwd59ZTpmRNUfGAFCCQ4gcC_G8DFwPBzs7J8NCC8uVLIygo-iXgYh1vC1iYvqp5E40Kq57FrLywkF4KPBEsMzc6T7yxM3uBHUK4VEVx_g7k8iPFZlMMk6k3nqWpbr0fiQC9xn2RQ=w640-h1947-no

Contract labor during assembly.
Payment was in brownies so no labor laws were violated.

ACtC-3cnINWqg0n8ZcOkIAmNPQJmnrL9ZpNrhztkvGh9gDr5kYuvD16sRKivJHilx4dmf7xnYajxVrjCBJefo8BcuMg_qo-wL9lyyP1-wXyuyMXflxl5rWPqYkhHW0SZ6BOxIFER-7YB6QOX6fOH3ViPVPo0lg=w640-h1947-no

Phase 1 testing with the original builder.

Last edited:
It's not often that a VansAirforce post makes me chuckle aloud, but yours did. About your contract labor: brownies may have been sufficient this time, but eventually he'll want -- in this order -- a skateboard, a motorcycle, a car, and then a plane of his own. It looks like he'll prove to be worth all that. But budget for it.

Its a shame harbor freight doesn't make that. It would go well with all the other HF adornments in your shop :)

Its a shame harbor freight doesn't make that. It would go well with all the other HF adornments in your shop :)

Plenty of Harbor Freight, Lowe's, WEN and Tekton tools in that shop. I save the budget for the fancy Cleaveland tools hiding in the cheap Harbor Freight tool chest.

Excellent suggestion Matt, thanks!

However, getting one from a defrocked church might be problematic. I think I'll skip that particular suggestion.

George

Back