What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tips For Installing Engine Mount

PhatRV

Well Known Member
I am planning to install the engine mount soon. Are there tips to prevent problems latter in the build? The engine mount is for the IO360M1B engine. I am expected to receive the engine from Lycoming late August or early September so this is a good time to hang the engine mount and to kick off the firewall forward stage.

Thanks.

I would definitely at least temporarily place the mount on the firewall and work out ALL the firewall attachments, cable paths, fuel lines, etc. before you install it the final time. Holes can be much easier to drill if a mount tube is not in the way. Give thought to ongoing maintenance once flying.

When you drill the engine mount holes, the trick I did to get almost exactly on location, meaning mine is literally less than 1/16" off side to side. I did this by using bushing and reamers. I stepped up in size of reamers. The first started at the top right hole. Located the mount hole, then used a reamer to lightly touch the stainless forward to witness its intended location, then used a grinder and a stone to move the hole into place. Then I began reaming. Again I started small, used bushings, and went right up to hole size. Fit is perfection.

When you drill the engine mount holes, the trick I did to get almost exactly on location, meaning mine is literally less than 1/16" off side to side. I did this by using bushing and reamers. I stepped up in size of reamers. The first started at the top right hole. Located the mount hole, then used a reamer to lightly touch the stainless forward to witness its intended location, then used a grinder and a stone to move the hole into place. Then I began reaming. Again I started small, used bushings, and went right up to hole size. Fit is perfection.

Wow, this is a great technique. Thanks for posting it.

Back